• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

"Diet" #1: A 2200 CALORIE FOOD PLAN

Right here kyle quoted the AIS as saying to have 1.2-2g of protein per kg of body mass. I'm wondering why it's Body mass & not Lean body mass.

For example, Sam is 85kg @ 10% body fat. So he's got a LBM of 76.5kg (85kg - 8.5kg). If he were to have, for example 2g of protein per kg of body MASS that's 170g. If it were LBM then it'd be 153.

If Wayne was 85kg @ 25% body fat, that'd give him a LBM of 61.75kg. Say Wayne does his maths of 85 x 2g & comes to the answer of 170 calories (dah) for overall body mass protein intake. Or if it was LBM it'd be 123.5g (of protein).

Does anybody here see what i'm trying to say ?

Why supply calories for body fat? Since it doesn't actually need it. Please don't read this as a 'i'm trying to get a message across', it is a bit...that i think prescribing protein per lbm than overall body mass...i'm just...yeah....

Hyjak, I see what your saying. Just because the AIS states that between 1 and 1.8g/kg of protein is optimal for athletes does not mean that this is optimal for bodybuilding or strength training athletes. Im sure if you looked at the diets of an Olympic swimmer to that of an Olympic weight lifter there would be a difference. However Fadi has said this diet is by no means the perfect diet for everyone, the same as the AIS is not saying that the protein intake is perfect for everyone.

I believe you need a starting point and gauge how you body reacts to the diet and make changes from there.

Right here kyle quoted the AIS as saying to have 1.2-2g of protein per kg of body mass. I'm wondering why it's Body mass & not Lean body mass.
That'd be part of the reason for the range. An 80kg guy at 25% bodyfat will have 60kg lean mass, and one at 10% 72kg. So that 100g protein would be 1.7g/kg lean for the fatter guy, and 1.4g/kg lean for the thinner more muscular guy.

Plus "lean mass" is not all muscle, there are bones and organs and skin and the rest, and bones especially can vary quite a bit depending on the person's frame size (my mate the same height as me has broader shoulders and thicker wrists/ankles, generally bigger bones) and so on.

Also it takes protein to maintain organs, bones, etc. So even if there were some perfect number of protein to maintain or build X amount of muscle mass, all the other stuff varying would make that perfect number into a range anyway.
PowerBuilder said:
Why supply calories for body fat? Since it doesn't actually need it. Please don't read this as a 'i'm trying to get a message across', it is a bit...that i think prescribing protein per lbm than overall body mass...i'm just...yeah....
Fat requires sustenance to keep going, it's living tissue. And you need a certain amount of bodyfat, too, for health. That's why modern bodybuilders and fitness models feel so crap in the weeks or days before a competition or shoot.

What you have to accept is that because of natural human variation, we can only ever guess these things roughly. It's as toasted said, you just have to pick something reasonable-looking as your starting point, see how your body reacts to it, and adjust from there.

Few asked me about the reason I include what I do in the 2200 food plan. These were the questions and my reply to them:

1. Green and white teas - interested as to why green tea at one meal, white tea the other. Any reasoning for that? Also both times you mention sweetener. I'm thinking you have a reason for including this. Or perhaps if you can drink those drinks without sweetener you could - but again I think you have a reason for including it with sweetener.

2. 1 square of lindt dark chocolate. I'm intrigued on its inclusion but there must be a reason!

3. Magnesium tablets a couple of times a day. Again this must be pivotal - can I ask why? Also is it important to be that particular brand of magnesium?

4. Again - why 'dark meat' chicken? So this is not breast I'm assuming. Why is thigh used more so? More saturated fat in that cut of chicken?

Stevia is a sweetener that is actually good for you. Splenda is used only if I don’t have stevia. Why not sugar? Because I’d like for you to have food instead. White tea has L- Theanine. It’s an amino acid that works on the brain, relieving stress and anxiety and gives one a feeling of calmness rather than sleepiness. White tea has more antioxidants than green tea. I’m heavy on antioxidant, that’s one reason for the 70% dark chocolate; it rated very highly on the ORAC scale. That stands for Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity. So all those “free radicals” which are trying to wage war on you behind the scene will be taken very good care of and “blasted”!

Let me share with you some numbers that would illustrate what I’m talking about here. The higher the number, the better. According to some studies: Can Foods Forestall Aging?

An ORAC unit of 3000/day is what we should aim for. Here’s what we get in a 100g serving of food.

Food………………….ORAC Score.

Celery………………..75
Apricot………………175
Banana………………210
Sweet Potato……… 295
Onion………………..450
Oranges………………750
Strawberries…………1,540
Garlic………………...1,939
Blueberries………….2, 400
Prunes……………….5, 770
Dark Chocolate………13,120
Unprocessed cocoa powder………..26,000

Now if you analise what I’ve done by including a mere 15g of dark chocolate with its super powerful antioxidants and polyphenols; you’ll come to appreciate that I’ve provided you 1,970 ORAC units which is 65% of the total recommended daily. The more the better in my opinion. You can never have enough anti-oxidants, just the same way you can never be too strong in your core muscles, (but that would be digressing now wouldn’t it)?!

My tip re cocoa powder: always buy the no frills cocoa powder; it has a higher fat percentage which means more cocoa butter and that’s where the benefit lays. The better the dark chocolate the less oil or butter of any kind is included and definitely no rubbish that is soy “anything” included. That needs another thread by itself, so I’ll leave that one right here if you don’t mind.

Now where was I? Oh yes, up to the green tea now. Green tea again has an abundance of antioxidants and it helps raise your metabolism somewhat through its catechin polyphenols. Faster metabolism = more caloric expenditure from fat as you’re reading my words right now. I’ll write an article just on tea soon, so I’ll stop here for now

Now why did I include magnesium at certain places and why that brand? Ok, whenever you see me including calcium reach food; you’ll see me add magnesium. I don’t even want to contemplate the idea of having a kidney stone and an undissolved stone is a tiny crystal of calcium that has formed. Magnesium helps in dissolving calcium and also in facilitating its absorption. Of course, there’s more to this than just taking in calcium, but I’m being specific here (and I’m holding myself back) otherwise this could turn out into being Fadi’s novel on the 2200 calorie food plan!

Ok then, why have magnesium with the chocolate then? Ah, that’s for something else completely. Cocoa as you know has some caffeine and theobromine; both of these chemicals go on to stimulate your CNS. Have you noticed the ending of the words (I always bring this up in my answers), they end with INE. Doesn’t that remind you of amphetamines? Basically stimulants. The theobromine (sound a bit like that powerful drug for fat loss Duromine doesn’t it?), can make you skip a beat (literally speaking). Heart palpitation/arrhythmia is what I want to prevent by taking magnesium which is king in the natural tranquility/calmness department. I knew I’ll get to the answer sooner or later…you’re still here?! Good.

Ah yes, why Doctor Sandra's magnesium and not another? Actually I used to get my magnesium aspartate from the USA but thought we've had to have something good right here down under. After searching the net, that was the best I could find. It does not have OXIDE anything in it which is basically RUST! If I want some rust, I'd go to a junk car yard and eat me a rusty car there instead! But please, if anyone reading this can show me a better magnesium complex that has 75mg of elemental magnesium per tablet to it, I'd be grateful. Thank you.

Now why dark meat instead of the breast? I was asked the same exact question on another forum. It’s because it’s bloody tastier that’s why! No seriously, yes it is tastier/juicier and because it has a lot more minerals like zinc and more vitamins, and because it provides some saturated fat which is another tool that I use with cholesterol to boost my testosterone. Have I got your attention now?!

Modification to this food plan to increase its suitability and make it more individualised is always a great idea. It's never my way or the highway here. So relax and let us talk. Some people like me don’t really drink milk at all. I like almonds which have a better calcium/magnesium profile and plenty of great fat, which I thrive on.

Fadi.

Last edited:
This is a no nonsense workout and eating plan that when combined, will deliver a great result in the shortest time possible. Keep Fit & Stay Healthy!

Before/During Workout Energy Drink: 6g WPI, 40g Oatmass, 400ml water
Or--------------------------------------------6g WPI, 25g WMS, 400ml water
Or--------------------------------------------45g 1 ½ thin slice white bread, 5g WPI, water
Or------------------------------------------- 125g White potato boiled, 5g WPI, water

On rest days, substitute the above high GI foods with a mid/low GI one. Example:
125g sweet potato Or, 1small banana Or, 2 slices Multigrain bread (56g) Or,30g (raw weight) basmati rice. The protein remains the same (this type is just great for the immune system).

Protein Carb Fat Cal
6g 24g 1g 130

Immediately PWO Anabolic Drink: 10g WPI, 65g Oatmass, 500ml water
Or----------------------------------------15g WPI, 50g WMS, 500ml water
Or----------------------------------------225g White boiled potato, 12g WPI
Or---------------------------------------- 90g 3 slices white bread, 10g WPI, water

550g Rockmelon, edible portion (YUMMY!) Or, 220g sweet potato, still YUMMY! And both are extremely high in beta carotene. The protein remains the same.
Protein Carb Fat Cal
15g 45g 1g 250

Hi Fadi, as you are in the mood to answer questions, this may be a silly one. With the above drinks,
: 90g 3 slices white bread, 10g WPI, water
you don't mean to blend it all together, do you?

Mike.

i'm clearly not fadi....i'd have to say the answer is no to your question, mixing bread with WPI is not necessary. If you like soggy bread, go for your life tho!

This is a no nonsense workout and eating plan that when combined, will deliver a great result in the shortest time possible. Keep Fit & Stay Healthy!

Before/During Workout Energy Drink: 6g WPI, 40g Oatmass, 400ml water
Or--------------------------------------------6g WPI, 25g WMS, 400ml water
Or--------------------------------------------45g 1 ½ thin slice white bread, 5g WPI, water
Or------------------------------------------- 125g White potato boiled, 5g WPI, water

On rest days, substitute the above high GI foods with a mid/low GI one. Example:
125g sweet potato Or, 1small banana Or, 2 slices Multigrain bread (56g) Or,30g (raw weight) basmati rice. The protein remains the same (this type is just great for the immune system).

Protein Carb Fat Cal
6g 24g 1g 130

Immediately PWO Anabolic Drink: 10g WPI, 65g Oatmass, 500ml water
Or----------------------------------------15g WPI, 50g WMS, 500ml water
Or----------------------------------------225g White boiled potato, 12g WPI
Or---------------------------------------- 90g 3 slices white bread, 10g WPI, water

550g Rockmelon, edible portion (YUMMY!) Or, 220g sweet potato, still YUMMY! And both are extremely high in beta carotene. The protein remains the same.
Protein Carb Fat Cal
15g 45g 1g 250

Hi Fadi, as you are in the mood to answer questions, this may be a silly one. With the above drinks,
: 90g 3 slices white bread, 10g WPI, water
you don't mean to blend it all together, do you?
Mike.

Sorry Mike, the food part is not for blending. Some people like to eat something and like the feeling of having something in their stomach. White bread is included because of its quick digestion and absrorption; hence it has an effect on raising blood sugar levels quickly.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=7XO9nN994ZsC&pg=PA128&lpg=PA128&dq=white+bread+is+quickly+digested+and+absorbed&source=bl&ots=bN13FR3yYo&sig=Bwo0I20SDfW-BeMXyXl3VvU3q_Y&hl=en&ei=c_3KStyfKIXs6AOXvc3KDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=white%20bread%20is%20quickly%20digested%20and%20absorbed&f=false

Fadi.

I didn't think so, but some people do some strange (strange to me, that is) things.:D

Have a good day,
Mike.

I didn't think so, but some people do some strange (strange to me, that is) things.:D

Have a good day,
Mike.

Yeh I know what you mean Mike. By all mean those people would have my blessings to do as they see fit...who am I to interfere...:D!

You have a great day too Mike.

Fadi.

Fadi I have been on this 2200 cals for 3 days so far and so good. One question I have is, are the chicken thighs weight taken from raw or cooked values?

Also you told me to do 2 days on 2200 and 2 days on 2800. Is there any benefit to doing 2 dats 2200 and 1 day 2800 or do i need more time on the higher carbs for cycling. Im pretty carb sensative thats all.

Not the fittest at the moment either, could only perform 5 X 10 complete Burpies and was just to stuffed to do any more. i could have probably done 50 in the morning and 50 later in the afternoon. But since i didnt know how tough these were I was not prepared. Not to worry ill be increasing them by 10 in the one session until i get up to the 100. Then increasing the reps per set i do until i can do all 100 in the one session if thats even possible.

Also another quick question but on the same lines is with the baked sweet potatoes values. Again are these raw weights then baked. or are these baked first take 100g from the baked sweet potato?

Hope you understand what I mean

Cheers

Newguy, in regards to the weighing of food, it doesn't really matter when you weigh it as long as you are consistent.

See to me it does matter when its weighed because the macronutirent breakdown will be differant. If I have a 100g raw weight then cook it, it will lose moisture and probably only give me a 70g cooked serve. Thats why it matters I might be undercutting myself in my serves which will mean im actually getting well under 2000 cals.

This is correct but if you have 70g cooked serve consistently then it does not matter. 2200 calories isn't a miracle number that will achieve all your goals but rather a stepping stone, deviation on either side isn't critical. What is important is you gauging your progress and figuring out whether to increase/decrease calories based on the goal at hand.

Newguy, just weigh everything raw mate. You can't go wrong.

How can you survive on 2200 cals a day and 138g of protien? Let alone train and expect not too lose muscle mass.

Care to share about what you think would be a better solution? (and welcome, by the way! :) )