• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dexa scan Results

Sydking

so I had my san done this morning, My last one was in june 2011 and I did stuff all since then till about 8 months ago....

Last scan I was 77kg and 19%BF

Today I was 98KG, 25%BF

According to the scan ive put on 12kg of lean muscle in the last 8 months

So a few things that I was thinking about. Even though ive always been trying to loose weight I must have been eating at a surplus the whole time to grow that 12kg of LBM

last 10 weeks ive been eating at 2500 calories and still haven't dropped weight, Still lifting and boxing 5 days a week... but nothing...

BMR for this scan was 2108

He said to add in all exercise calories then reduce 20% to drop the weight

A few calorie ranges to try were 2100,2500,2700,3100

We decided to start on 3100 then reduce down, 2100 being the lowest allowed at any time.

My thoughts are, If I cant loose weight on the current 2500, What is 3100 going to do to me? But then again ive tried 2000,2200 and now 2500 and its not working so maybe time for a reverse diet

Quite happy with the 12kg LMB gain but :) at least I know my lifts are working.

Good work on the muscle mass increase, now i guess it is time to cut the extra kgs of body fat away in time for summer to show what all the hard work has gone into creating...

77kg and 19%BF = 14.6kg fat
98KG, 25%BF = 24.5kg fat

= about 10kg more fat = 77000cal
12kg muscle... dunno.. assuming 4cal/gram = 48000cal
total excess = 125,000cal over say, 12.5 month period
= 10,000cal per month

= roughly 330cal/day extra.. which is like 3 timtams...

if you've been at 2500 for 10 weeks, with consistent exercise, with no weight change... then that's your maintenance cal for that exercise level.
get a HRM/fitbit/whatever to try and track exercise cals?

if you want to lose fat, more exercise at 2500, or same exercise with less than 2500cal?
in the end BMR doesn't really mean squat unless you are in a coma (incapacitated)

77kg and 19%BF = 14.6kg fat
98KG, 25%BF = 24.5kg fat

= about 10kg more fat = 77000cal
12kg muscle... dunno.. assuming 4cal/gram = 48000cal
total excess = 125,000cal over say, 12.5 month period
= 10,000cal per month

= roughly 330cal/day extra.. which is like 3 timtams...

if you've been at 2500 for 10 weeks, with consistent exercise, with no weight change... then that's your maintenance cal for that exercise level.
get a HRM/fitbit/whatever to try and track exercise cals?

if you want to lose fat, more exercise at 2500, or same exercise with less than 2500cal?
in the end BMR doesn't really mean squat unless you are in a coma (incapacitated)

I will be taking the HRM to boxing tonight and see what cals im putting out

It’s a bit of a crap comparison from my last scan, as I haven’t been training for the full time.

As stated, only 9 months lifting solid. Last 3 ½ months I’ve been lifting, counting cals and boxing 5 days a week religiously. I remember going from 84 to 92 before I decided to kick in to gear in February.

Even though I was eating as little as 1800 for a few weeks and didn't see any change it must have been because for a period before that I was eating more calories.
I know a lot of people on here kept telling me I was eating too little ect ect.

Either way I haven't stopped since 3 months ago so I will play around with calorie levels.

Its all trial an error from here, although it seems Ive been trailing it forever….

I would prefer to keep the cals as high as possible so id just up the cardio a bit more.

After crunching some number today il be doing 2500 on training days and 2100 on any off days.

with high protein and lifting heavy i should be able to keep the LBM and drop the fat off, will weight in this time next week

The Full Diet Break | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

:)

Good work on the LBM increases, that's massive for 8 months.

Cheers for the link, I took a bit of a diet break for little over two weeks, was slowly increasing toward 3000 over a 1 month period

From Monday ive dropped it down to 2200-2300 calories.

Ive basically droped the carbs and fat off a bit. Kept the protein at 180g

Will trail this for three weeks and see what i can loose in the mean time. So far my lifts have not been effected and either has my energy levels for boxing, but its only been 3 days in and i would still be in a surplus of stored energy

Once the tendon in my foot heals a bit more il be back to 3 1/2 hours a night boxing so il be happy to rasie the calories to 3000 on those days.

I wish this bloody HRM wasent so dam hard to set up

which HRM is it?

Garmin Forerunner 410 - Finally got it working yesterday.

The HRM soft strap needs to be on for it to work.

My seating heart rate was like 94. Walking around the house was like 130+

My mum was freeking out, I took my blood pressure with a machine and it was all OK. don't know how accurate these things are.

I will wear it to boxing tonight and see how i go

From Monday ive dropped it down to 2200-2300 calories.

Ive basically droped the carbs and fat off a bit. Kept the protein at 180g

Admittedly, I am far from an expert on nutrition, but this protein intake seems on the low end of the scale, particularly with the amount of training you are doing.

I am similar body composition to you - started at 105kg at 22% bodyfat (measured by DEXA) and am now down to 98kg (NFI on current bodyfat % though). I am shooting for 220g+ a day, based on the general recommendations of 1-1.5g/lb of lean body mass....and I only train 3-4 days a week.

Admittedly, I am far from an expert on nutrition, but this protein intake seems on the low end of the scale, particularly with the amount of training you are doing.

I am similar body composition to you - started at 105kg at 22% bodyfat (measured by DEXA) and am now down to 98kg (NFI on current bodyfat % though). I am shooting for 220g+ a day, based on the general recommendations of 1-1.5g/lb of lean body mass....and I only train 3-4 days a week.

That would put me at 230G of protein per day, I feel thatch its overkill.

Some days i hit 190-200 but i dont think the extra 30g will make or break me

Dont get me wrong, maybe its worth a try for a few months.

As long as its enough to retain the muscle mass i have then thats what i need, Trying to get down to 85kg is the goal

Even now at 96kg i look quite solid with a bit of definition, Except for the gut/moobs.

I look better, But just cant get the dam weight down

Last edited:
Tapout XT lmao i reckon it works i am always sweeting alot after a session of it and my cheapo pulse reader says i am on 175 bpm woohoo.

how does the garmin run? work okay? does is measure calories burnt (roughly)?

Does the works, HR, Calories. You need to punch in your BOD, Weight and height. its got GPS and run tracker. You can then load all the data from the watch to the PC

It good for boxing as i can wear the soft strap and keep the watch in my bag on the other side of the room, ie dont have to be wearing it as its wirerless.

Dont know how accurate they are though, as i said it was givvin gme resting heart rate really high..

The weight is still proving to the a bitch to shift.

Been eating 2300 give or take for the last 2 weeks and i did see 95kg on the scales Saturday morning.....

This 1 pound per week people talk of is BULLSHIT!!!

im looking a bit leaner but so thats a plus..... Im always eating above my 2100 BMR

I know ive been saying it for ages, But 3000 cals a day will be my next step if i see no weight loss in the next 2 weeks

Might aswell eat more if im not going to loose any eating less aye

Last edited:
weight isn't the only measure of fat loss, if you are looking leaner that's a plus.

the more you eat while losing weight the better obviously you maintain more muscle on the higher calories.