• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifts vs. Deficit Deadlifts

the other way to do deficits is off a high box and not let the bar touch the ground between reps. The bar ends up going down to your toes so its a true deficit, but you use stretch reflex to bounce at the bottom (not a bounce of the plates), like a squat. It's not a "dead"-lift in the true sense (only the first rep is).

This can be used to address a lockout weak point by overloading the top portion, but has an advantage over rack pulls etc by simulating a real deadlift.

the other way to do deficits is off a high box and not let the bar touch the ground between reps. The bar ends up going down to your toes so its a true deficit, but you use stretch reflex to bounce at the bottom (not a bounce of the plates), like a squat. It's not a "dead"-lift in the true sense (only the first rep is).

This can be used to address a lockout weak point by overloading the top portion, but has an advantage over rack pulls etc by simulating a real deadlift.

??? Maybe I'm missing something but this makes no sense to me, how is a deficit deadlift going to 'overload the top portion'?

I don't see how it will overload the top but the aim for deficits is to increase speed from the floor, thus increasing momentum for an easier lock out.
By the way man, sorry for not having a chat yesterday I was in a bit of a rush.
Good luck for today man.

Deficits can potentially overload the top because of the longer time under tension compared to normal deadlift.

You can often fail at the top of the dead because your fried by the time you get the bar above the knees on a heavy dead. Longer range of motion and time under tension of the deficit dead may help that. I know I have read more than one person saying deficits helped lockout.

It's the same theory as the 21's reps thread.

The so called sticking point is at the position deep wants to develop/ strengthen.

You blokes love complicating things, worse than bodybiulders LOL.

I don't see how it will overload the top but the aim for deficits is to increase speed from the floor, thus increasing momentum for an easier lock out.
By the way man, sorry for not having a chat yesterday I was in a bit of a rush.
Good luck for today man.

No worries man, I was just grabbing my towel to head back into the sauna anyway haha.
I agree with your above statement too about carrying more speed making for an easier lockout as opposed to actually overloading the top.

I just recently found out that I've been doing 4.5cm deficits the whole time just because of smaller plate size :p

As well as that I was standing on 2" blocks to actually do my deficits. I'm really working on speed off the floor as my sticking point (conventional) was mid shin.

Each time I've attempted a 1RM, breaking the weight from the floor has always been the hardest part of the lift. Once the weight is going it flys up! I was looking to work from a small deficit, pulling about 50% of my max 1RM for one set. My assistance exercises are done in deficit.

Each time I've attempted a 1RM, breaking the weight from the floor has always been the hardest part of the lift. Once the weight is going it flys up! I was looking to work from a small deficit, pulling about 50% of my max 1RM for one set. My assistance exercises are done in deficit.

I'll watch your log.

??? Maybe I'm missing something but this makes no sense to me, how is a deficit deadlift going to 'overload the top portion'?

It didn't make much sense to me the first time it was explained to me either.

Because you are utilising stretch reflex out of the bottom, rather than pulling from a dead stop, you are getting assistance in the lower portion, but due to the larger ROM from the deficits, the acceleration out of the bottom dissipates and you need to consciously accelerate through to lockout. Its similar to the idea behind deload band squats.

The normal way of doing deficit deadlifts will emphasise building strength off the floor, particularly if you do a complete reset or pause between reps.

The point is you can use deficits to accomplish many things.

Deficit dead lifts

Ive noticed a lot of people include deficit dead lifts in their programme. Just wondering what the advantages are with deficits and is there any rule of thumb for how high / what you should stand on? Cheers

Advantages are the lift is longer. More work is done per rep, more time under tension. It can help start of the lift due to getting stronger in bottom position but can also help lockout due to maintaining a better position throughout the lift. Will help grip because you have to hold the bar for longer.

While it is a great exercise unless your deadlift is over roughly 200kg just focus on getting your form right on normal deadlifts.

If you are going to do them use about a 2-3 inch deficit. Any more changes the lift too much.

Standing on a plate is a good way to do them. It's really useful for teaching yourself to get tight
Deficit sumo deadlifts are literally torture

I think 1-2 inches Is best for most due to mobility, I can go as high as 3.

They increase speed off the floor, and can make lock out easier.

BEWARE-
If you do not maintain your usual start position when training from a deficit, not only will you get no carry over, you will fuck your normal pull.
I'd only recommend if your an experienced lifter, or have a team mate/coach to watch you.

As with any exercise that goes beyond the normal range of motion - use them sparingly. (If you still want to be lifting in 20 or 30 years from now)