• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifts vs. Deficit Deadlifts

Has anyone else tried snatch grip deficit deadlifts?
They literally cause flu the day after you do them

iv been doing deficit sldl, standing on a 5cm block and still touching thr ground, gotta love long arms.
dat pull

1. One has to take the point of diminishing returns when considering lifting weights above and beyond a certain percentage over their 1RM competition lift.

2. One has to take into consideration the potential increase of injury to the body’s connective tissue/joints, ligaments etc. when applying max effort.

3. One has to look at the real life results of one’s competition lifts where it counts the most, on the lifting platform, and if the results mirror the training efforts.

4. It’s one thing for a lifter who applies the max effort in the gym to win by a large margin or to break a world record by a large margin, or to be so much in front of the competition. And it’s something altogether different (and very disappointing indeed) if that lifter with ALL his max effort training does not result in a win or something extra-ordinary above the lifters who do not apply max effort training in the gym.

5. Please read point #4 again, and then relate it to real world results. If you should find what I’m saying in point #4 to be false, then I’m wrong in what I’m saying and I apologise to each and every individual on this forum or an outsider reading this now.

Fadi.

Last edited:
In weightlifting, whenever a lifter applies the deficit method, he does so with the intention of either increasing power at a particular point of the lift and/or minimising or eliminating a weak link in the lift.

A point some of you may find very interesting, and something which have personally experienced back in 1983, was that at times, lifting from a deficit position, one can actually lift more, albeit slightly more! How can that be or why does that occur you may be wondering, especially when one has just lost some crucial power generating distance (say from the floor to the knees).

This phenomenon occurs under one condition and one condition only as far as I know and have experienced first-hand.

A) How it occurs? It occurs when your lift is done from a hanging position.

B) Why, what is so significant about the position being from the hang as opposed to the load being “rested” on something (to create a deficit). It has something (I can not prove), and that something is muscle under tension (or contraction). In other words, if a muscle is already under tension, it seems to generate more force, explosiveness, with muscles that are in a “primed” state, ready for serious action in a blink of an eye lid. How would that relate to what this thread is about and to Karen’s initial post? I’m not 100% sure, but a discussion to find a way to perform a dead lift from a very slight hang position may be in order here.

Fadi.

Has anyone else tried snatch grip deficit deadlifts?
They literally cause flu the day after you do them

Please post your citation/double blind study/other bullshit research to back up this claim.

You'd be fucked without the Internet

The internet is a great resource, but at some point you have to stop analyzing everything to death and actually lift some heavy arse weights.

Last edited:
Please post your citation/double blind study/other bullshit research to back up this claim.

The internet is a great resource, but at some point you have to stop analyzing everything to death and actually lift some heavy arse weights.

Ironic how you say this when I am the one trying out different outrageous training philosophies for 5 months at a time and you're the one sitting on the internet saying something can't work