• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift breathing

You see alot of guys set there breathing after they unwrack? Think by the time ive unwracked, stepped back.. Going to be needing another breath. and what about for reps?

I hold my breath, unrack, walk out, take another breath and hold my breath each rep and take a breath at the top. Hope that helps

Always take the biggest breath you can before you start the actual lift.

If you squat in a monolift, you are better off taking it before you unrack.
because someone else is there to lift the latch away and you just squat down.. no need to walk back and set your feet etc.
Squatting in a power rack or squat stands.. breath in, hold it, unrack, walk to position and set your feet.. breath out, and big one in and squat. once you are back up past the hardest part, breath out. repeat for reps.

Deads, I take my breath after holding the bar too.
get feet and grip in the right position, straighten my legs, big breath in, lift, lock out, lower to floor then breath out. Repeat from straight legs part if it's for reps.

Bench, I hold my breath from just before I unrack and release just before I rack.. I generally hold it for all my reps if it's sets of 5 reps or less.

breath in to your gut/chest/lungs/legs.. whatever.. it's a big breath in, complete the rep/s then breath out. never during the movement of a rep.

Generally one breath to unrack and set-up, then about 30 seconds fucking around breathing weirdly in and out because I'm soft, then a large breath and the actual squat.

Seems to be a bit of confusion here about breathing into your gut.

First off, it only works properly if you are wearing a belt. The ONLY reason you should be wearing a belt is so that you can get your breath in properly. Its not there to make you look like you got ghetto swag. Thats what straps are for. You use a belt to give your gut something to press against.

Put on your belt. Stand in front of a mirror. Take a deep breath. If you do it normally, you will see your shoulders rise as air fills your chest and, by default, pushes your rib cage out and up. This is what you did when you were 10 (cough), trying to impress the girls at the local pool. It does nothing for your stability but looks good.

Now, do it again, watching the mirror. Instead of filling up your chest, as you take in the air, force it down and your gut out. You are not taking breath into your stomach. Or your diaphragm. You are taking in air so that the part of your body that expands to allow for the extra volume is not your upper chest but your gut.

Your upper chest and shoulders should look much the same, but your gut will be extended to a point where the belt holds you tight. You will feel your belt pressing against the gut and lower back.

Now, whats happening is that your lungs are separated from your stomach and other organs by your diaphragm, a sheet of muscle that expands and contracts to enable you to pull air into your lungs. Pull down and air is sucked into your lungs, push up and you breath out. Your lungs do very little to fill and empty, its all diaphragm. Instead of your lungs filling and pushing up against your upper chest, you fill your lungs and bear down so that the expansion needed is provided by your gut sitting on the other side of your diaphragm.

As I have said before, think of a wine barrel. The bands are there to allow the wooden staves to expand to the point where they press hard against the copper bands, forming a strong rigid unit.