• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift breathing

Johnnie Walker

Borderline Kunce
How do you breath during the dead lift? I exhale during the lift, using the start of the exhale as my que to lift. Gives me good power off the floor, but.. Nearly pass out at the top! Went proper dizzy today

Not been doing it much like that, just been experimenting with different ways. As said this gets it off the floor the best, but as said grt dizzy so probably not a good idea.. (Hence the thread duh)

Take a big deep breath, as much air as you can hold, then hold it for the entire lift. This will create a lot of intra thoracic pressure and support your torso (and importantly, protect your spine).

If the pressure is too much, you can hiss out a bit of air during the hardest part of the lift.

Same breathing applies for squats and bench.

The difficulty in deadlift is timing when to take a breath between reps.

Further to what strong enough? said:

This is were a belt helps. Take a huge breath. Huge. As in "roily roily big". The push dat dere air down into your gut so that your abz are forced out hard into the belt. You should, if the belt is set right, feel your gut forcing against your belt and the belt pulling hard into your back. Practice in a mirror. When you are set, your shoulders should be no higher than without the big breath, as it should all be down in your gut. Loosen the belt a notch if its too tight.

Now, hold your air. Bend down and set your grip. You should feel as if the top of your head is about to pop off, or your eyes jump out of your skull. Now rock back into position and you should, if you have done it right, have the slack now pulled out of the bar and you are about to explode.

Tear dat bar up. Hold your air. Lock out. Hold for a sec and see the wonder in your gym bros eyes. Put the bar down letting out your air as you go.

If you are doing reps, do the above for your first rep. Let air out and take air in at the top of each rep. Its not as good as you are not as tight but it works.

If you feel a bit dizzy, that should only happen after you finish lifting. Just stay down with the bar for a few seconds instead of popping up an getting all whippy tang.

When you get your gut/thoric pressure right, its as good as a lifting suit to pop that bar off the floor. Just be sure to make good use of it by pulling back, not just up.

I had my back go out from deadlifts this week due to what I believe to be lack of abdominal pressure, even though I thought it was enough.. you really do have to force as much air in to your gut as you can handle and keep it there for the duration of the lift.

Similar to woody, but I take my breath once I've gripped the bar. I stay straight legged to allow more air in then drive my shins to the bar and lift. I find flexing the lats and pulling them back keeps the air in your stomach.
Have a look at stickys videos too.

I had my back go out from deadlifts this week due to what I believe to be lack of abdominal pressure, even though I thought it was enough.. you really do have to force as much air in to your gut as you can handle and keep it there for the duration of the lift.
Just for people who don't know, no air actually goes into your gut, you just fill your diaphragm

I have posted this before but thought it may help.

A common cue when squatting and performing other heavy, compound lifts is to "keep your abs tight" or "flex your abs".

Yes, it is true that flexing your abs will increase the stability of your lumbar spine due to cocontractile forces, but that reason alone does not mean it should be done. Part of an evidence-based practice means weighing the risks vs the benefits, and the risks of this commonly advised task are often overlooked.

"However, in light of other research, conscious co-activation of the trunk muscles during the squat exercise may lead to spinal instability and hazardous compression forces in the lumbar spine" (Bressel et al., 2009).

Not only that, but this coactivation will cause the muscles involved to fatigue faster (Gardner-Morse & Stokes, 1998).

Bressel et al. (2009) also supports these findings. Furthermore, Stokes et al. (2011) found that 20% abdominal activation provides no more stability than 10%.

Rather than flexing your abs, it may be more beneficial to concentrate on creating a "big stomach" (pushing your stomach out) through diaphragmatic breathing. This will create more intra-abdominal pressure which will provide up to 31% more support to the lumbar spine compared to resting levels (Hodges et al., 2005). - (cut and paste from https://www.facebook.com/TheStrengthGuys)

So, physiologically, forcing air into my diaphragm, lungs, whatever, is exactly the same as what I'd be doing when doing a fart or taking a massive constipated shit?