• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique Routine?

staunch308

Came up with a basic compound only routine after ideas.. course the best critique is to try and see how it goes

Everything is 5 sets of each with rep range of 2 to 5 no higher no lower.

Bench Day

Bench
BB Overhead Press

Deadlift Day
Deadlift
BB Rows

Squat Day
Squat

Pretty basic and simple, what do you think of it? Main goal are to gain serious strength and mass with eating

Reason I dont like the PTC routine is i feel it is too long and draining, form starts going sloppy, as an alternative is 3 sets each of Squat, Bench and Deadlift on M W F good?

Cheers

Seems like very little work...

I would have added dips, pull ups, hamstring movement...

arms arent hard to train at the end

To be honest with you, im always going well over 5 reps, usualy no less than 8 for the bench, squat and deads making sure i give it my all

Don't like it at all man.
If your strapped for time id go

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 3x8
Sldl 3x8

Deadlift 3x5
MP 3x8
Curls 3x8
Abs 1min planks x3

Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Chin 3xF
SLDL 3x8

You should be able to smash through that.

Came up with a basic compound only routine after ideas.. course the best critique is to try and see how it goes

This is the only way to self-actualize
Fuck what everyone else does.
I would caution against dead-lifting and bb rowing if your training is blood and guts.

Andy, I'll admit I have a poor grasp on the English language.

Could you explain what "self-actualization" is, and what role it has with a novice?

Sticky's program looks great. Unfortunately if you want to get strong at the big three you still have to get strong in the supporting/opposite muscles. For example strong biceps are needed to stabalise the bench and if you don't work them directly you will notice a lot of elbow pain. Also the body will also inhibit strength gains if the muscles around the joint are not close to each other in strenght i.e. your squat will stop going up if you do not have strong hamstrings as well.

For example strong biceps are needed to stabalise the bench and if you don't work them directly you will notice a lot of elbow pain.
i dont do any 'direct' bicep work. you will not see a single curl in my training log, i dont experience any elbow pain

my training is similar in terms of how its set out, but with more assistance.
monday - bench day
bench
assistance/light;
squat
OH tricep extention
lat pull down

wednesday - squat day
squat
assistance/light;
bench
row/lat pull down
GHR

saturday - deadlift day
deadlift
assistance/light;
squat
bench
GHR
lat pulldown
OH tricep extension

assistance can vary day to day.
now i do this with periodization, but i dont see how it couldnt work with doing 5x5 and slowly adding weight to the main lifts like the style of the beginners program.

Last edited:
Just lucky or I'm unlucky I guess. I never did bicep work and my elbows were fine until I started benching over 140 kg then it got bad.

Just lucky or I'm unlucky I guess. I never did bicep work and my elbows were fine until I started benching over 140 kg then it got bad.
true, need to keep in mind im still a novice and have a sub-100 bench :p