• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Creating the worst condition for training…on purpose!

Fadi

This may be a one of a kind thread that you’d need to read. My topic today deals with the creation of the most un-ideal situation/condition you most likely would not find yourself in…not on purpose anyway.

This is about training on full stomach when you can not stomach anything in your stomach during training. This is about training on empty stomach when you can not but have something in there. This is training with no mirrors or music if that’s what you rely on. Ok, I think the message is clear by now.

So why would any sane bodybuilder want to put himself or herself in such an uncomfortable situation…on purpose? Because it’s the only productive way that will force your mind to adjust and gain experience in dealing with such unfavorable conditions. In my opinion, we like to cling to our comfort zone way too often and way too much.

I have not researched this topic on the net or read a book about the psychology of what I’m saying here. However I am basing it on my experience as well as the experience of former world weightlifting champions from the eastern block.

You all know my history by now: the AIS and all the frills that came with it, from doctors, massuest, phisios, nutritionist, and the list goes on were at my finger tips. All to make my job of lifting the heavies safer, more productive, and most of all: comfortable.

But all the above comes crashing down on you when you visit other places in the world that do not offer such comforts. Try bent weightlifting bars; try rusty weightlifting bars and broken or smaller than usual lifting platforms. Try water you can’t drink or food you can’t eat. Try falling sick and asked to perform at your best. Try ripped hands lifting on the roughest bars in the world.

On this and other forums, we’re all striving on gaining that edge, be it through some supplement or some diet that’s low in carb or high in fat or by employing training program X, Y, or Z. The $64,000 question is: how well have you conditioned your mind to deal with the unforeseen and unexpected and still perform at your ultimate best?

Fadi.

Last edited:
Brilliant post Fadi. I used the "chaos" theory on my kids at basketball, kids running everywhere in the key while you had to concentrate and make a shot.

If you watch my video "4 wet nights at PTC", you will see James squatting barefoot, standing on a towel because the floor is wet, with 180kg.

Brilliant post.

How about Fat Dave cleaning and pressing my water filled keg, with red back spiders running around the base, he was terrified lol

ps - Dont do this at home.

I train with my wife watching and nagging, this provides for an unpleasant environment. :(

kids, blackberry, work calls, wife telling me to hurry up, garage too hot, or too cold. i think i'd freak out IF i trained in the right environment. :D

whoa.... damn, I guess I have NO drive outside of my comfort zone.... I just lose motivation and get moody when I have no music and when i'm not carbed up ready to lift. You're right Fadi, it is more psychological than physical.

Lifting is so Mental it amazes me, espescially the quest for strength!

I prefer no music when training, especially our gym where they music is so loud i can hear it over my iPod when it is on its highest volume, it is so pathetically loud! i cannot think!

Brilliant post Fadi. I used the "chaos" theory on my kids at basketball, kids running everywhere in the key while you had to concentrate and make a shot.

If you watch my video "4 wet nights at PTC", you will see James squatting barefoot, standing on a towel because the floor is wet, with 180kg.

Brilliant post.

How about Fat Dave cleaning and pressing my water filled keg, with red back spiders running around the base, he was terrified lol

ps - Dont do this at home.

Thank you Markos. I've put this post on another forum and one member there (who is also a member here) commented that I may be referring to the Stress Inoculation Training (SIT). And here Markos, you mentioned the “chaos" theory. I have never heard of either of these terms to be frank with you.

Obviously these systems (if I can call them that), were put together by people such as yourself Markos; people who have experienced what hell and heaven is in training. Would you agree with my assumption?

Fadi.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Modo, I thought this topic would suite you to a T. When nothing is going right on the outside (of you); all is serenity and in control (on the inside of you). It would make others scratch their heads in wonder of your management skills!

Fadi.

I have not been to the gym for a long time for me now. I guess i am in the worst chaos and trianing possible for me atm.

Mentally i dont think i would be able cope with the stress of it. I feel weak and **** and fat.

I have not eaten cottage cheese before bed for weeks Some mornings making a shake i forget to put protein in it.

You'll come around Noobs. You have bigger things to worry about at the moment, a 200kg Deadlif is just waiting for ya.

if i tried that, i would lose all motivation and probably give up for the day, its just as much about training the mind as well the body

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Modo, I thought this topic would suite you to a T. When nothing is going right on the outside (of you); all is serenity and in control (on the inside of you). It would make others scratch their heads in wonder of your management skills!

Fadi.

fadi can you please elaborate??

fadi can you please elaborate??

Meaning if you train your mind to deal with the outside negative influence/situation, then when everyone is struggling to cope, you'd be laughing. And they'd be scratching their heads wondering why you're so cool about it and not bothered.

Fadi.

thats right sometimes u just gotta look past all the **** and just push it anyway dont let anything bother u or stress u out just see the task at hand and say DONE!

Fadi,

Once again a fabulous post. Here's my take on this. I agree 120%. This is NOT just about training in the gym as far as I'm concerned.

This is all about LIFE! Think about all the good plans you come up with to achieve a goal in life. Then what happens? YES. BAM! (Your girl dumps you, someone close to you dies or has a serious life threatening sickness, the Damn train is running an hour late... take a pick). Something totally unrelated happens and it can either mess you up and your routine or you can say I can handle this and take evasive action and still keep on 'your path'.

In fact I suggest you do this not only in the gym but also in other areas of your life. Eg: if you've been listening to the same music for along time change it and listen to jazz or classical or even, heavy metal...

As they say friends "Easier to make an excuse or you can surpass the challenge and get to the destination".

Thanks.

Devante.

Fadi,

Once again a fabulous post. Here's my take on this. I agree 120%. This is NOT just about training in the gym as far as I'm concerned.

This is all about LIFE! Think about all the good plans you come up with to achieve a goal in life. Then what happens? YES. BAM! (Your girl dumps you, someone close to you dies or has a serious life threatening sickness, the Damn train is running an hour late... take a pick). Something totally unrelated happens and it can either mess you up and your routine or you can say I can handle this and take evasive action and still keep on 'your path'.

In fact I suggest you do this not only in the gym but also in other areas of your life. Eg: if you've been listening to the same music for along time change it and listen to jazz or classical or even, heavy metal...

As they say friends "Easier to make an excuse or you can surpass the challenge and get to the destination".

Thanks.

Devante.

Thank you very much for your contribution Devante. You have really captured the whole message and then some my friend...

Fadi.