• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

clean and press. What are your thoughts?

In my own opinion i believe c&P to be on par with the likes of the squat and deadlift, and would use it before benching if i had to choose.
Simply for the majority of muscles it requires.

But anyone else have any thoughts on it?

the clean and press is a great movement (when done correctly) great for any sportsperson wanting to develeop power , speed and overall strength. i wish i did them more often. actually tonight might be a night to do some.

I do cleans after deads.

Clean and press lighter weights
Clean and front squat heavier weights

Those two variations should encompass every body part.

When done in sets of 10 or together as in the bear complex, is a great cardio workout aswell.

No.
I'm assuming the op is asking from a bodybuilding/powerlifting perspective.

There is no doubt that an Olympic lifter must practice the skills of the sport, using a barbell in a quick explosive manner, if the lifter expects to perform these movements well in competition.

However, the constant, jerky movements, regardless of form or technique, expose the soft tissue structures to a great deal of force and potential injury.

I don't believe it is incorrect form that contributes to injury, as much as the speed of movement it self.

I. Do think one can certainly get strong doing Olympic movements, but at what cost?
A small injury equates to some missed training time

A major injury contributes to all of the above.

I hit SPF depth :p

And with any weight I go well well well below what any PL fed would call parallel. Even got told off for going too deep when I went to a PL gym haha

No reason to clean & press unless you like doing it or compete in an event that requires you to C&P

No.
I'm assuming the op is asking from a bodybuilding/powerlifting perspective.

There is no doubt that an Olympic lifter must practice the skills of the sport, using a barbell in a quick explosive manner, if the lifter expects to perform these movements well in competition.

However, the constant, jerky movements, regardless of form or technique, expose the soft tissue structures to a great deal of force and potential injury.

I don't believe it is incorrect form that contributes to injury, as much as the speed of movement it self.

I. Do think one can certainly get strong doing Olympic movements, but at what cost?
A small injury equates to some missed training time

A major injury contributes to all of the above.

The same can be said for a lot of the major lifts to some degree but you have to take into account the dividends paid. Oly lifts are virtually unparalleled in their ability to power in an athlete. If they were not then they would not be a staple of countless training programs for sports like rugby, American football, etc.

Deadlifts can hurt backs and tear biceps, squats can wreck knees and backs, bench can destroy shoulders, etc, but all of these are also staples of strength training programs because they build strength.

Injuries can happen, but lifters should be aware of that before they approach the bar.

if executed correctly it's an awsome exercise.
unfortunately most don't execute the clean anywhere near properly

This, this and this. If someone can clean and press or clean and jerk correctly, then if they had to do only one exercise ever, the clean and press/jerk would probably trump all others in matters of bang-for-buck. Of course, I don't think people SHOULD only do C+J, but it's just such a big movement, using almost every muscle in the body and building strength in a very functional way, that it can have some great benefits all on its own.

But again, most people's clean, press and/or jerk is one craptacular mess not worth even considering.

Well, clean and press and jerk all you like, I couldn't really give a fat rats clacker to be honest.

I've said what I thought... but if you all can prove me wrong, that's wonderful to.

Why hinder your squat and deadlift progress with cleaning the weight you press when you could just take it out the power rack and press it?

Why the hell would it hinder it? Cleans are commonly used as dynamic assistance work for deadlifts. Pressing is assistance for bench. The clean and press is two birds with one stone. Furthermore for non-powerlifters the clean and press is a staple because it is as close to full-body strength exercise as you are going to get. Its less technical than the jerk or snatch and more based on speed and brute force.