• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

clarification on a few issues

joshcore

1. is it ok to do chin ups (close grip, knuckles out) on arm days? or should it be done on back days?

2. is it wise to be having a sauna 5-10mins after workouts .'. would it be detrimental/decrease muscle development (aka the work that i just did)?

3. on flaxseed oil... is 1 tablespoon enough per day or should i up the doseage to two-three? and, is taking it in the morning when i wake up fine, or should i have it after/before workout to maximize its usage?

MANY THANKS :D

I'm curious Josh, what bad things would happen if you did chins on the wrong day, assuming there is such a thing as a wrong day?

How does steam decrease muscular development?

What does the label say?

-i don't know, thats why i'm asking?
-does it decrease muscular development?
-the label doesnt say

Josh, let me put your mind at ease regarding few things here:

1. I can tell you, not from a book or some study I've read, that we (the former AIS weightlifters), used to on occasions go over to the sauna for like you've said, 5-10 or so minutes and THEN, take a cold water deep. We were following the eastern block way of training at the time and used what I've just mentioned to speed up recovery. Now, did it work? who knows! Did we lift giant weights? Hell yeh! Was it detrimental to our strength and muscle mass? If it was, I was too busy lifting big to notice!

2. I've always thought chins were for the lats mate. You know that V shape bar you use when performing seated rowing, well that places your knuckes out. You sometime see bodybuilders (like myself) use it on the lat pulldown, it's the same action as the chin up but in reverse (and a lot easier of course). Is it better? That's for you to judge.

3. Flax oil: I'd leave it alone Josh. If you twist my hand, I'll give you about 200 or so words as to why. I've taken it and my advice is to leave it alone.

Fadi.

I was going to leave this alone cos Fadi always provides such a thorough explanation, he did leave the door open for some info on Flaxseed though...

Flax contains only tiny quantities of the fatty acids EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). And these two amazing fatty acids are the ones proven by research to be ultimately responsible for almost all of the extraordinary omega 3 health benefits.

For your body to manufacture EPA and DHA from the ALA in flaxseed requires a complex conversion process in the human digestive system. In actual fact, only ½ of 1% of the ALA consumed can be converted into EPA and DHA. And that would be under ideal circumstances.

In one study, flax seed oil, which is often sold as an anti-inflammatory product for reducing the pain and swelling of arthritis, was shown to be far less effective in treating inflammation than omega 3 fish oil. In most cases, flax oil even increases painful inflammation.

The other study found that while omega 3 fish oil can decrease the risk of cancer of the prostate, it was found that flax seed oil actually increases the risk of prostate cancer.

Rather than risking your health with flaxseed, it makes better sense, both nutritionally and economically, to get the many amazing omega 3 benefits from omega 3 fish oil.

Was that about right Fadi?

i just want to add that fish obsorb far more effectively & thus can supply you with your dietrh fat needs. ive used flaxseed oil for one fat loss period. Animal fat is better by 2 country miles

once again no need for further comment as for chin ups,

Everybody who lifts weight should do chin ups, pull ups, hammer ups, wide grip pull ups... the list goes on for variations of this wonderful excercise... theres nothing better then hanging your body weight from your hands and lifting yourself up for that explosive power, ive seen alot of big boys in the gym that can lift crazy weights but cant do one pull up..its sad i know i would hate the day when they would have to climb to save there own life.

Being 120kg, chin ups are my arch nemesis, I finally got out 3x8 tonight palms facing outwards! Woo! No matter how many sets/reps/weight I do on the diff lat pulldown machines, they don't compare to chins.

I can imagine that Morgan. I find that I have to go heavy on the Lat Pull Down to really get me. Weighing 76kg, Pull Ups are pretty easy.

1. I can tell you, not from a book or some study I've read, that we (the former AIS weightlifters), used to on occasions go over to the sauna for like you've said, 5-10 or so minutes and THEN, take a cold water deep. We were following the eastern block way of training at the time and used what I've just mentioned to speed up recovery. Now, did it work? who knows! Did we lift giant weights? Hell yeh! Was it detrimental to our strength and muscle mass? If it was, I was too busy lifting big to notice!

Fadi.

Some elite hockey and soccer trainers have them players to take ice baths after hard workouts couse it should reduce the recover time, a Personal Trainer teacher told me on my course that some weightlifters do that too and he showed some studies that had proof it did.

/Mattias

Some elite hockey and soccer trainers have them players to take ice baths after hard workouts couse it should reduce the recover time, a Personal Trainer teacher told me on my course that some weightlifters do that too and he showed some studies that had proof it did.

/Mattias

I'm one of those studied!:D

Fadi.

oh yer the ice bath is great for recovery its like when u see the footy players walking back and forth in the surf the next day in the middle of winter... a gym i went to a few times had a freezing cold plunge pool i used it a few times but could only sit in there up to my neck for a 30seconds to a minute so so cold it takes practice

I can imagine that Morgan. I find that I have to go heavy on the Lat Pull Down to really get me. Weighing 76kg, Pull Ups are pretty easy.
Ideally, I wanna be able to do 3x12 reps of PERFECT form chins, 8 is hard enough, so I've been trying them with BW + 5kg, I do 5 reps then drop it and the last 3 reps are easy hahahaha. If they're easy you should try adding weight!

Yeah, I really need to be adding weight! I need to get a belt or a back pack to do it.

problem solved our gym has a weighted belt that nobody uses except us now its brand new too mmmwaaahahhhhhhhh