• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Chest Issues

drain

Seriously got such a problem with chest growth

I keep it pretty simple
Gained alot of strength etc but havent seen much size in chest.
Everywhere else seems to grow. Chest kinda got to a point and then stopped.
My workout is

Flat bench bb
Incline db
Incline fly
Decline bb
Cable Cross

Then i switch it up with
Dips
Flat Db
Cable inci Fly
Incline bb press
Peck Deck

I do 3-4 sets
10-12 first set
8-10 second
7 last and usually lift as heavy as i can for last set..

Technique could be an issue, Scapular retraction etc has been a huge focus lately.

i dont do deadlifts.. mainly cause i never felt i had the right form and didnt wanna do them and end up injuring myself.

But i do squats, lunges etc.

Start those deadlifts...

Post your eating weight height and current training and weights used.

Thanks
Hormonal Responses and Adaptations to Resistance Exercise and Training
Abstract:
Resistance exercise has been shown to elicit a significant acute hormonal response. It appears that this acute response is more critical to tissue growth and remodelling than chronic changes in resting hormonal concentrations, as many studies have not shown a significant change during resistance training despite increases in muscle strength and hypertrophy. Anabolic hormones such as testosterone and the superfamily of growth hormones (GH) have been shown to be elevated during 15–30 minutes of post-resistance exercise providing an adequate stimulus is present. Protocols high in volume, moderate to high in intensity, using short rest intervals and stressing a large muscle mass, tend to produce the greatest acute hormonal elevations (e.g. testosterone, GH and the catabolic hormone cortisol) compared with low-volume, high-intensity protocols using long rest intervals. Other anabolic hormones such as insulin and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) are critical to skeletal muscle growth. Insulin is regulated by blood glucose and amino acid levels. However, circulating IGF-1 elevations have been reported following resistance exercise presumably in response to GH-stimulated hepatic secretion. Recent evidence indicates that muscle isoforms of IGF-1 may play a substantial role in tissue remodelling via up-regulation by mechanical signalling (i.e. increased gene expression resulting from stretch and tension to the muscle cytoskeleton leading to greater protein synthesis rates). Acute elevations in catecholamines are critical to optimal force production and energy liberation during resistance exercise. More recent research has shown the importance of acute hormonal elevations and mechanical stimuli for subsequent up- and down-regulation of cytoplasmic steroid receptors needed to mediate the hormonal effects. Other factors such as nutrition, overtraining, detraining and circadian patterns of hormone secretion are critical to examining the hormonal responses and adaptations to resistance training.
Keywords: Exercise; Resistance training; Sex hormones; Growth hormones; Corticosteroids; Insulin
Document Type: Review article
Affiliations: 1: 3 Department of Health and Exercise Science, The College of New Jersey, Ewing, New Jersey, USA
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/adis/smd/2005/00000035/00000004/art00004

Your body will always stay in balance if you think you are going to get your chest muscles strogner then the largest strognest muscle in your body you have high hopes...

.............Or gear...

Last edited:
Few tips to try that worked for my bench after hitting a void round the 2 year mark were,
keep elbows tucked in
Get your feet back alittle so you create a good arch in your back and use your core,
Keep yr wrists straight,(i see alot of guys with there wrists bent backwards)
Try and squeeze your hands together on the lift.

I sometimes just drop the weight alittle and try and tune my brain in to useing the right muscle (pec) ,not everyone has that problem but i personally sometimes get carried away with trying to increase the weight and lose that mind-muscle connection

Basically i train muay thai but for the last 6 months i havent had much time to train and concentrate on it as much. When training i drop stupid amounts of weight. Im 84 kgs now. When training im about 77 and have to eat pretty massive amounts to keep that size. As of next week im back training 4 days a week.
im 5-10

Still do alot of cardio based around my muay thai training. High number of crunches etc, skipping 4 km's on cardio days. Back when im training ill be running every day again. and end up 3030330303003 crunches per day.

diet is
Breakfast
Oats/Fruit/tomato juice

11pm
fruit/nuts

1pm
Lunch
Chicken/steak/Salmon/
Veg

2pm.
Salad w tuna

Dinner around 6(
Steak, Chicken, Salmon
salad/veg

This is my current workout
Monday,
Legs
Squats
Leg Press
Extentions
Curls

Tuesday/
Back
Chins
Lat pul Down
One arm row
Standing pull down
Seated row

Wednesday
Chest

Thursday Arms
BB Curl
Cable hammer curl
Seated Db Curl
Preacher

Skulls
Rope overhead
One arm Pull down
weight dips between 2 benches

Friday Cardio/Core

Saturday
Shoulders
DB Press
Front raise
Side raises
Bent Over Raise

Saturday cardio/core

Seriously got such a problem with chest growth

I keep it pretty simple
Gained alot of strength etc but havent seen much size in chest.
Everywhere else seems to grow. Chest kinda got to a point and then stopped.
My workout is

Flat bench bb
Incline db
Incline fly
Decline bb
Cable Cross

Then i switch it up with
Dips
Flat Db
Cable inci Fly
Incline bb press
Peck Deck

I do 3-4 sets
10-12 first set
8-10 second
7 last and usually lift as heavy as i can for last set..

Technique could be an issue, Scapular retraction etc has been a huge focus lately.

ditch the peck deck. it's rubbish. How long have you been training for? What part of your chest are you unhappy with ? the entire package? Upper or lower? Or the width of it?

just hasnt grown but hasnt really developed through centre top and bottom.

Ive been training for a couple of years now.

Change my workout around every 8 weeks.
Mix stuff up between free weights and cables etc.
Change to a few different excersizes

You havnt listed weights used for exercises...

You are performing catabolic exercise and expecting to grow while probably not eating enough to maintain what you are doing...

What weight are you pressing / squatting and benching.. The other exercises are not imporant..

You can be training for years and still be training wrong...

This is my current workout
Monday, I do all leg workouts with minimal rest between sets. to keep leg speed and power for muay thai. Low weight and high reps. 20 seconds on. 10 seconds off.
Legs
Squats up to 80 kgs.
Leg Press up to 120 kgs
Extentions
Curls

Tuesday/ 4 sets. start low and end heavy
Back
Chins 3 sets 10
Lat pul Down up to 85 kgs
One arm row 30 kgs db''s
Standing pull down 20 kgs
Seated row 95 kgs

Wednesday
Chest
Db press up to 40 kg db's(100 kgs with bb)
Incline up to 35 kgs db's(80 kgs with bb)

Thursday Arms
BB Curl up to 40 kgs
Cable hammer curl
Seated Db Curl 20 kg db's
Preacher 30 kgs.

Skulls
Rope overhead
One arm Pull down
weight dips between 2 benches

Friday Cardio/Core

Saturday
Shoulders
DB Press up to 30 kg db's
Front raise 10-15 kg db's
Side raises 10-15 kg db's
Bent Over Raise

Saturday cardio/core

I see your problem, you curl half of your squat...

You are working out as if you are a unit who needs time to revocer from excessive stress on muscles when your practically a novice in regards to strength. Try a begginers program up the calories add compound lifts and watch the numbers and size sore! The sky is the limit!

If you can work your base strength up then you should be able to do muai thai based exercises at higher strength level...

But you have to work out your goals..

Is it strength size or muai thai, i have never seen a muai thai fighter with a massive chest it probably isnt practical in the ring..

Last edited:
when i used to squat more, press more etc

my kicks lost power etc so i changed it to doing quicker/power movements
my speed and power with kicks improved so i kept doing it.

Hey Drain mate first main thing i can see here is your over training your chest... its hard for your body to grow when you smash the living hell out of your muscles? there is a line between tearing muscle fibers and gaining some size, and then there is smashing yourself too much and going backwards... my suggestion is just regular old bench, or a variation if you like, just do one exercise 3 times per week at most. on each set your total reps should be around 25 reps... so be that 5sets of 5 reps of 8 reps for 3 sets... etc. try this for a month or two along with adding some compound lifts as the other guys have mentioned and i dont see why you wouldnt gain some.....

(also do a thread search for a post by Fadi, its about "active recovery" and it may help you, as he suffered similar symptoms and it was due to lacking blood flow to those muscles. give that a go and see how u go mate :) )

Best of luck

(EDIT) noticed your full weekly workout later on, you may not be over training your chest, i just noticed in the first post all the chest exercises you had mentioned and though "FARK way too many exercies on chest lol" still check out the thread by fadi about active recovery, add some compound lifts and eat plenty, you should gain champ :)

Last edited:
Like i said you have to assess your goals..

But your chest is stronger then your legs and you want to increase the size and strength of your chest? Your body likes to be in balance and you cant fight it... No matter how many curls someone does they wont have arms like ronnie and legs like a chicken it just doesnt happen..

You need to re assess your current training/eating because it isnt giving you the results you want.

I thought of active recovary but he is probably getting enough from his muai thai trianing..

Last edited:
Drain you are correct in a way. Just doing heavy work without trying to increase your ability to produce force quickly will not lead to a better kick. But you still should do some heavy lifts to keep your maximal strength increasing for optimal performance.

You really need to get away from that crappy routine though, you want strength and power strength/endurance power/endurance. Do not and I repeat DO NOT train like a bodybuilder. You could do 2 days heavy lifts focussing on pulls and pushes and also throw in some crossfit like training where you can really pound yourself for conditioning and increase your ability to express your strength.

aways is such a head **** between changing excerises, not lifting enough or lifting to much, sets/reps etc that can change and effect u.

so crazy how muscles can effect other muscles so much.
even though they aint connected etc.

aways is such a head **** between changing excerises, not lifting enough or lifting to much, sets/reps etc that can change and effect u.

so crazy how muscles can effect other muscles so much.
even though they aint connected etc.

Everything is connected your body is 1 unit.. Dont ever forget that.

If you kick someone with a murai thai kick in the liver do they drop to the gorund and cant use their legs?

I thinks so....

1 unit train ,it as such...