• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CCM Quest 2013

DEXA Milestone Update June 2013

So I had my DEXA scan done on Thursday 06 June 2013!

cue ominous music :eek: :p

I told the lovely Dr Matt that I didn't want to know if my results were bad.
He thought that was hysterical. :cool:
I think he's still laughing now. Results were great :)

I will post up copies of results with comparisons once I get a soft copy of my results from Matt next week.

I had pretty much stalled in the second half of last year. Weight was steady or falling and I was seeing no change.
Training wasn't doing it for me either.

I changed up both diet and training at the beginning of December 2012.
Diet took a while to sort out as I was pretty sick during late December and January with food intolerance related stuff. Got that sorted by mid Feb.

Timeline:
1 December 12 - new coach, new training - strength and hypertrophy mix + KBs

1 February 13 - diet back on track (it was good before but I was struggling to reach macros on most days due to severe stomach cramps and nausea).

1 May 13 - started a reverse dieting approach instead of increasing kcals in big jumps every few weeks. MUCH BETTER and I've been consistent with this approach. Love it.

So I'm putting down the progress shown in my DEXA this week to the work of recent months.
I have seen good changes in that period.

Chest/back have increased, arms, legs (even calves LOL).
Waist and hips have remained the same but look leaner.

In that time, I have

• gained 1.084kg of lean mass

• lost 0.556kg of body fat
I weighed in at 46.6kg on Thursday

(but that was fully winter clothed. comparison weight for progress is 46.1kg yesterday, which is about right).

Gains and losses were all over.

Doesn't sound like much but given most of that was in the last few months, that's awesome progress for a gal and one who's clearly no teenager anymore :p

Matt was impressed. So was I ... and so relieved.

He suggested I keep my kcals/macros steady for a few weeks (to end of June) to see if I make any progress in that time. If not, keep going with reverse dieting. But he thinks I may have found a sweet spot. Let's see.
I will keep them fixed for a couple of weeks to see what happens, if anything.

But right now, BOOYAAAH!!!

I still have a long way to go with my LBM increases but I'm not far off normal range now.

I'm still well within the athlete range for BF and don't have a lot to lose there. Maybe 1-2kg. I carry most of it on my legs, but it's not much so just need to keep working.

Love my training, love my coach, love my flexible dieting (although I'm guilty of making it 99% clean most days, damn me).

Last edited:
DEXA Milestone Update June 2013 Part II

OK so I finally got my DEXA results in soft copy today

Ha ... dropped off a copy to my GP in the afternoon.

His first reaction:

"This is great, Viv!
Wait, how come they made you look fat? your hips are so small, they look big in the scan. What's that on your head? ..."

Cue much rolling of eyeballs :cool:

Me: "Don't be a git, P. Tell me you've seen a scan before ... please. You should see how fat actual fat people look."

:D

Anyway, here's some snapshots from the results:

NB - I waited longer this last time because I stalled until end of last year. All gains in this last one were in the last 4-6 months.

Overall, lost fat all over and gained FFM all over.

060613_01.jpg060613_02.jpg060613_03.jpg

For comparison, here are the detailed results from 19 July 2012
If measurements mean anything, this is pretty much where I was at in December 2012 too. No change. Possibly a step backward, if anything, due to some weight loss.

190712_03.jpg

Doing my short experiment keeping my macros constant for a couple of weeks. Will see how that pans out at end of June and then continue with reverse dieting if it sucks.
Plus, I want more kcals in case I need to drop them down again.

omg, said me never :D

until now :)

Last edited:
Nice going!

Looks like you have 200g+ more muscle on your right arm and right leg compared to the left.

Nice going!

Looks like you have 200g+ more muscle on your right arm and right leg compared to the left.

yes, which is not unusual. it's quite rare for someone to be perfectly symmetrical, especially as we all favour one side over the other. I'm RHS dominant.

02 July 2013 Update

Had my DEXA on 6th June 13.
As an experiment, I stopped the "reverse dieting" I had begun in May and kept my kcals fixed for June to see what progress (or not) I would make keeping things at a modest surplus.
This is roughly the "sweet spot" I discussed with the doc when I had my DEXA:

• kcals kept to 1800 (maintenance for me is just under 1650).
  • macros kept to P/C/F = 135g/203g/50g (30%/45%/25%)
I don't like to lower my fats any further as it's winter and this is already low and messes with my skin (dries out and leaves me prone to eczema).

Today's check-in weight: 46.7kg
I've gained 0.5kg roughly in June but measurements have stayed about the same.

Untitled.jpg

Bassed on this I might just keep going as I am. This slow steady pace suits me for now. Hopefully the next DEXA will be a good one too.

Training program has changed a bit to put a bit more focus on assistance work for bench, at which I right royally suck (I cannot yet bench BW).
But still focussed on legs/quads as before. Well, everything lol

Massage has been helping my right psoas/glute/ITB issue that was left over from my hip injury months ago. But all the box squats seem to be doing me some good for my squat form anyway so I can't complain. Have had to keep the weights light otherwise my right thigh just says no to gettting up :p
Another massage this evening planned. Has improved 95% so hopefully all good soon.

Deadlifts progress on their own happy agenda :)
I'm getting back to practising box jump stuff again now and am hoping i can master muscle ups at some point.

Over and out for now.

EOM Update 30 July 2013

Thanks everyone :)

Time for the next EOM check*in and progress update.

The signs indicate I've reached the next level of Fatty Boombadaness: EXPERT :eek:

Measurements as at 30/07/2013

Weight: 47kg

So I've gained another 300g this month. Steady as she goes.

July 2013.jpg

I've gained on my quads/thighs and let's all pray to the FSM that it's muscle mass, shall we????
I've also gained again on my hips/glutes.

Ghetto booty status is pending with favourable indications.

Must admit, I do get conflicted with this stuff. Part of me is freaking out even if part of me is fist*pumping the air.

Mainly because

a) I have enduring doubts about the quality of this progress, despite good signs until now (self doubt) and

b) partly cos I don't want a fat a$$ and I still want my clothes to fit :cool:

Overall, one has to conclude good progress this month.

Diet
Everything great with the diet except I have had a decrease in appetite over the last two weeks. I still manage to average out at maintenance levels which is good, but not sure what is wrong. If I force myself to eat more, I just feel sick.
So just going with the flow and guessing that maybe I should just listen up to my bod, make sure i just hit my protein and let the rest take care of itself. This too shall pass.

Injury
Back to physio tomorrow. My injury from last Oct/Nov is still causing me problems. It's evident now that the physio and doctor both got it wrong. The pain in the psoas region and down my right leg is all referred pain and there is something amiss in either my sacroiliac joint and/or glute.
Hopefully will get a resolution soon and that no lasting damage has been done in the meantime.

Training
Deads are progressing and I'm working towards a new 1RM ... not sure when that's gonna happen but I stick with my trainer's plan .. she's always right thus far, dammit.
Bench has improved heaps! Last night got a rep PB of 5 reps at 39.5kg. Sounds like pittance but for me, that's fantastic. I suck at bench...long levers, just no talent, you name it. All the assistance work has been fantastic.
I have finally accepted that I can squat. Weight is still low due to these ongoing injury woes but have been progressing well with low box squats and I have been squatting low weights (32.5kg) normally with no pain over the last week or so. Won't do anything stupid until this injury thing is resolved though.
KB training is great. Much improved in technique over the last month and my strength endurance has also come along really well.

Over and out xx

:)

Last edited:
Haha nice work! We are using almost the same weights for squats at the moment!

Which ultimately means that for me, it's a SQUAT PB!

Can I tell people i can squat as much as you now?
I can box squat 40kg .... can I outdo you??? :eek:

actually, i'd much rather we both just go back to being 100% injury free

:)

[MENTION=6645]adamklam[/MENTION]; you are now squatting well above my max again ...

no squatting for me for a little while (not sure how long, hopefully just a few weeks).

need to alter program to incorporate different stuff for glutes and legs for a bit.

have rehab stuff to do to correct pelvic tilt issues with posture as a result of the injury (ie my posture has changed prob due to coping with pain).

Also, need to bring right glute, hammies and calf to same level of development as my left. Smaller and less developed on all counts.

go figure, it used to be my strong side

:confused:

Quick Check in 04/08/2013

Morning Weight: 46.7kg

Damn those day to day fluctuations lol. Had me all excited for a while there :cool:

Under a lot of stress at the moment. Has affected my appetite but luckily still eating enough, just not quite as much as a few weeks ago.

Am pondering what to do in the run up to Christmas with diet etc.

Training has been adapted to work around the no squats rule until this hip injury thing is sorted at last.
It has improved since last Wednesday, markedly, so will keep going with physio stuff I am doing.

Also, need to bring right glute, hammies and calf to same level of development as my left. Smaller and less developed on all counts.

go figure, it used to be my strong side

:confused:

Oh no, not imbalances again - you worked so hard to 'even up' last year! Overdid it perhaps, weak side now your strong ?