• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Career Change - what would you become?

cnc machine technician, and some sales, my area is QLD.

far cry from the operator jobs I have had for the last 7 years

cnc machine technician, and some sales, my area is QLD.

far cry from the operator jobs I have had for the last 7 years

I have no idea what that means lol cnc machine technician? Is that some sort of programming gig across multiple fields? Or is it industry specific?

Regardless, congratulations! I assume your happy with this change of path?

I just assumed you were married with a kid or two.. learn something new every day. Did prince charming not come a knocking?

One of my mates sisters is staring down the barrel at not being able to have kids, despite just marrying. She's into the 41/42 age bracket and despite exceptional fitness and health, it doesn't help.

I have been told by a lot that kids are the greatest thing in this life yada yada. Yet everytime I see my cousins who are in their late 20s or early 30s they're pulling their hair out saying "don't do it sam, don't do it. It's a trap" (this is inclusive of marriage).

I like kids, when I can return them. I have baby sitted younger cousins numerous amounts of times, and it requires so much damn attention. (yeah yeah, "it's different when they're yours". Sure, just today I saw another man in his late 30s pulling his hair out at the supermarket over the 2 siblings fighting yeah yeah "but you don't see all the good times they make you smile"... I hear ya :))

I think I am to self absorbed at the moment to be able to even dedicate myself to that. It's a full time gig and still does not appeal to me, although down the track I am not ruling it out and of course I will probably be a father.

After all, we're here to procreate. But alas no switch has flicked. I have no desire to be up at all hours. I can understand the great feeling it must be watching a little creature you created grow up. Until they reach their teens/20s and don't want to have anything to do with you. Or you annoy them. I know this because I was like this to my folks. To this day they still break my balls, irrespective of loving them. Ricky Gervais recently spoke on his and his girlfriends decision not to have kids. It just wasn't for them. I guess my folks could have said the same of me, and I'd not be writing this. Which would be a shame, because I am almost awe struck every day by life (ty science).

To each their own. Coming from an Italian background, marriage and kids is pretty straight forward. Mandatory if anything. Although my uncle who'd be ~105 years of age now never had kids or a wife all spurred on by a few bad relationships. He said he'd rather die alone in peace. You'd think he'd be a cold hearted tin man, but was the most giving & thoughtful man around. This is what happens when family politics get in the way - in his last relationship, it was not allowed that they were to be married. Him being Calabrese and the other half being Sicilian didn't go down too well. He was seen as inferior because he came out of Italy to Aus, digging up potatoes for work.

Anyway I have lost my train of thought.. carry on

Oh yeah.. that's right. Grass is always greener Choc. Another of my uncles has just finished paying child support for 3 children he had in his mid twenties, and is not allowed to see (and they don't want to know him after what their mother fibbed about). Don't know what's worse? I'd take not ever having kids over that shamble. Oh did I mention losing 2 houses in the process and paying for a European holiday for his ex wife and her new found partner?

Ah.. life :D

oh Minchy, I get the whole Calabrian vs Sicilian thing! lol anyone thinking all Italians are the same has no idea :p

I get how you feel. You should never feel pressure. I was fairly immune to the pressure, mostly because I was too busy DOING SCIENCE for an eternity and then "career" burnout and stuff.

I have no regrets. While I would dearly love to have had a child, I'm philosophical about it. Our lives are the sum of our own choices we make along the way, circumstances in which we find ourselves and sheer dumb luck.
While I may not have had children, I've been fortunate enough to have had other opportunities for life adventures that I might not have had otherwise.

I'm lucky enough to have my cousin's kids who love me to death and vice versa :D

I have no idea what that means lol cnc machine technician? Is that some sort of programming gig across multiple fields? Or is it industry specific?

Regardless, congratulations! I assume your happy with this change of path?

not so much programming, more like maintenance, repairs, and training..

And yes, didn't think I would get the gig :eek:

I'd probably just do everything. I love writing, so I'd write. I love training, so I'd have a gym. I love working with my hands, so I'd fix cars, build furniture, etc. etc.

Actually pretty much everything I plan on doing when I retire (or semi-retire at 40, as the plan currently is).

So I probably wouldn't change careers, even if I had the choice. Everything that I do now has taught me to appreciate what I wanted to do even more (even though this is what I wanted to do 6 years ago) than I could if I could just do it, I think.

I'd probably throw having kids in there at some point and having the ability to stay home & take care of them with the wife, too.

Brad - is that a cnc lathe type thing? One of my clients has a cnc machine so thought you might be talking about the same thing. They manufacture superchargers for vehicles by doing the designs in CAD, and uploading them to the machine which cuts the parts out accordingly. I had to network them and setup FTP access etc

Your cnc could stand for something completely different though :p

I'd love to design and run my own paintball park, astronaut or the main control dude for hubble

I'm gonna go back to where I started. 5-6 more years I'll have my mortgage paid off and I'm going back to day labouring no stress, no bullshit, honest day on the jackhammer or the broon for $500 in the hand.

Funny isn't it with the beauty of hindsight the worst jobs end up been the best jobs you ever had.

I'm gonna go back to where I started. 5-6 more years I'll have my mortgage paid off and I'm going back to day labouring no stress, no bullshit, honest day on the jackhammer or the broon for $500 in the hand.

Funny isn't it with the beauty of hindsight the worst jobs end up been the best jobs you ever had.

quoted for truth. took me many years to realise that if I'm doing a job for the money, it's not worth having a job that's going to stress me to death.

always a moment of enlightenment!
good for you Fluff!

Hell yeah, sounds like a dream job to me, the best job I had was working with a mate building fences, you knew the harder you worked the more you got paid or the earlier you knocked off, now stress, working outdoors was great times...

If you could do anything & get paid for your passion & be ensured you'd have financial stability doing it, without risk or prejudice, what would you choose to do or become, right now?

/go

An airline pilot.