• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Calcium Caseinate, Casein Hydrolysates, or Micellar Casein?

Ollie

Right now I only have WPC at home, which I take post-workout and before bed. I know WPC is considered fast release and good to have post workout, whereas casein is considered slow release and thus better to take at night time.

I don't really know very much beyond that about casein. I went to the BN website to see if I could order some, and found there are quite a number of options available.

I'm cutting right now, nothing too extreme though, and am still making regular strength gains. I'm not interested in any flavoured or sweetened powders - even my WPC is 100% unflavoured/unsweetened that I just mix with skim milk. Any suggestions on which casein (or even something else?) to buy?

There is a lot of broscience around fast and slow proteins.

"fast release" WPC still takes about 3-4 hours for the amino acids to fully empty into the blood stream (at around 10g/hour). If you eat more of it, it will take longer to release. It will also take longer to release if you buffer it with fats or carbs, ie milk instead of water.

Casein is around 6g/hour - still much faster releasing than normal food.

More info on this here: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...ources-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-pt1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nu...ces-of-protein-speed-of-digestion-part-2.html

I really don't see any tangible benefit of spending extra money on casein unless it is kinder on your digestive system than WPC.

If you're that concerned, eat some cottege cheese before bed, which is high in casein and will take longer to digest than refined protein. And is cheaper, and more filling.

Last edited:
Agree, it really doesn't matter which one you have.
I use WPI if I mix it into yoghurt or shakes etc as I find it digests quickly and I can't stomach casein taken in the same way.

However, I do buy micellar casein as i find it is fantastic to cook with so I use it in baked goods, cheesecakes etc.

whey is not so good for baking as it tends to dry everything out to a rubbery consistency
Casein has good binding properties and mimics flour much better so you end up with a lighter result.

All depends what you want to do with it :)

You want the micellar casein most likely. It clots in the stomach
The other ones will not. The hydrolysates are just peptides, very fast digesting good for post workout. But whey with bcaa added is very cheap indeed and doesn't taste terrible
Calcium caseinate is terrible, it won't mix at all and tastes very bad.

For a daytime protein just mix whey and micellar casein 50/50. I use whey/casein/egg in a 2:1:1 ratio personally. Before/after training whey is fine really. The advantage of casein is just that it's slow release. Whey/egg/casein all contain a full amino spectrum. I like egg because it's the highest in leucine but you can buy and add 1g of leucine and it's very cheap indeed

Don't get whey isolate unless you're lactose intolerant. Concentrate is fine and works out cheaper gram for gram
Strong enough is right also, the body will absorb protein at 10g/h. So small shakes are best. Liquid passes through the system very fast so much more than a scoop is almost wasted- unless you combine it with casein which will clot it all together so it doesn't pass through fast. Digestive enzymes will also speed up the breakdown

Whey/casein combination showed increased protein synthases over just whey?? I cant remember the source. I'll edit if I find it.

well yeah, leucine is the best thing for protein synthesis
constantly elevated leucine is going to be better
but you can just eat