• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

breathing while lifting

It's all about control. Breathing is one of the most fundamental bodily functions and yet most people cruise through life, and even through workouts without paying their breath any mind at all.
If you can be aware of and acutely in control of this most basic of bodily functions throughout you daily life and especially when exercising you may find that you have much more control of the more complex functions you perform during your exercise such as deadlift/benchpress ect...

As for when to breathe in/out, Id recommend breathing in when you are relaxed and breathing out when you exerting yourself as a general rule...

I also recommend abdominal breathing in between exercises to restore energy and even out the heart rate.

Just out of curiosity Tekkerz: Military press and squats; How would you breath in these two lifts? Thanks.

Fadi.

Just out of curiosity Tekkerz: Military press and squats; How would you breath in these two lifts? Thanks.
Fadi.

I guess I was a little vague by talking about generalities, but for the military press and squats, they could be classified as 'push' type lifts so then it would be breath out on the 'push' part as it is the part which requires the most exertion...

unless we were doing an 'eccentric' type workout, I'm not sure but would that flip everything on its head? I haven't had much experience with that type of workout so if anyone has I'd love to hear what you think.

I guess I was a little vague by talking about generalities, but for the military press and squats, they could be classified as 'push' type lifts so then it would be breath out on the 'push' part as it is the part which requires the most exertion...

unless we were doing an 'eccentric' type workout, I'm not sure but would that flip everything on its head? I haven't had much experience with that type of workout so if anyone has I'd love to hear what you think.

Tekkerz, I hope you didn't think I was putting you on the spot brother, I wouldn't do that to you. I was really curious about how you would do it that's all. I personally would breath in a way that is in opposite to each of this lifts (in other words what I do in squats, I do the opposite in the press). That was the point I was making to begin with, and that I don't actually "think" about it but let it take its course. Of course, others may totally disagree.

Fadi.

It's cools, that's what I'm here for, discussion and the sharing of ideas.

I can't breath the way you do on squats I've tried it and I find that I have better technique the way I described, not so sure about the military press though because I haven't experimented with my breathing on that one.

I don't recommend for people to over-think their breathing, more like just be aware of what their body is telling them both inside and outside of the gymnasium.

It's cools, that's what I'm here for, discussion and the sharing of ideas.

I can't breath the way you do on squats I've tried it and I find that I have better technique the way I described, not so sure about the military press though because I haven't experimented with my breathing on that one.

I don't recommend for people to over-think their breathing, more like just be aware of what their body is telling them both inside and outside of the gymnasium.

I think we're both on the same page Tekkerz and I also thank you for the exchange of ideas.

As for when to breathe in/out, Id recommend breathing in when you are relaxed and breathing out when you exerting yourself as a general rule...

I breath out as I'm coming out of the squat just like you would. On the press up though, the breathing out occurs when I'm lowering the weight (as I'm "relaxing" so to to speak although you never really relax when doing military press).

Fadi.

Breathe in on the negative part of the movement, exhale on the postive.

Breathe in as the bar goes down for bench, then breathe out was you lift. Simple.

Breathe in on the negative part of the movement, exhale on the postive.

Breathe in as the bar goes down for bench, then breathe out was you lift. Simple.

Luke, if it's how you say it is, then I ask you the same question I asked Tekkerz: how would you breathe on the negative part of a military press? You may find it's the opposite of what takes place in a bench press and a squat. Try it.

You see when you push the weight up (positive/concentric) in a military press; your lungs would be well to have a full tank of oxygen in there pushing against the rib cage giving you a very rigid and stable "platform" from where you can exert full upward force. Check here if you like: Barbell Military Press for Upper Body Strength

Fadi.