• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Boxjumps as an accessory

I like jumps on to a box. Great exercise for people playing sport but they shouldn't be overdone.

I also think the idea of doing them for conditioning is retarded. They are an explosive movement and should be done with complete rest. To do them for conditioning gives you minimal explosive training benefit, high injury risk and a shitty conditioning exercise.

Yeh good for explosive movements, like sprinting for sports (that's when I got introduced to them)

Bazza: Completely agree with your 2nd paragraph, thats why i tried to frame the original question that way. How many of these do you normally?

Taurus: Nice homemade boxes mate. How many do you normally do?

Bazza: Completely agree with your 2nd paragraph, thats why i tried to frame the original question that way. How many of these do you normally?

Thanks man!
It depends on what session I'm doing!!
If its part of leg day, ill do 4 sets of 6-8 on the smaller one. After squats, just to fuck my quads up.
On a fitness/conditioning day, ill do them before a sprint/run on the large one, 6-8 reps, for the same reason.
I use the smaller one on leg day purely for safety reasons!! Hahah
I had the large one slip out under me once, somehow landed on my feet, but scared me enough to make sure it's always on something other than concrete!

For me I would start out with an easy box to jump to and do probably only 2-3 sets of 2-3 jumps the first time. Being fully recovered between sets and not even rushing the reps.

Over time slowly increase height and total number of jumps. I can't see much of a reason to do more than 20 total jumps in a session. By then explosiveness would have dropped off and the training effect would be minimal anyway.

You really shouldn't feel fucked at all after doing box jumps. You should be feeling fresh.

Explosive movements need to be started off gradually otherwise you will end up with tendon problems, most likely patella tendonitis. Like someone said no jumping down off the box.

As for loading box jumps. That is well down the track if ever for most people and would vary depending on why you are doing jumps.

I enjoy boxjumps, though get weird looks from people at the gym when I do them. Haven't done them from a bit so this thread is a good reminder to do them.

A couple of the ones I do are described here: Leg Plyometric Exercises

Mostly I do depth jumps, box jumps, bounds unto a platform and tuck jumps up onto a platform (or a little course combining a few of the above). Unfortunately I need a taller box that the gym has.

A tip for anyone who is not at a child like weight. Don't just go out and do depth jumps. You would probably be better off if you never did them at all.

A tip for anyone who is not at a child like weight. Don't just go out and do depth jumps. You would probably be better off if you never did them at all.

Agree 100%. Thanks to the Fitness First generation of PT's every bloke and his dog knows about plyo's.

The amount of eccentric muscle damage caused by them after even a mild session is ridiculous. So bigger guys get the worst of it because the weight absorbed is proportional to the damage (F=m*a). True plyo's are rarely used by any coach worth his salt.

Same thing with downhill running, which I know a few local footy teams did as a main part of their pre season when I was finishing high school around '06. Everybody ended up sore as phuck and they took it for a good thing. 1 of the 4 teams was relegated after a disasterous start to the season, and another finished bottom half. Both attributed it to the downhill runs after the season but all the damage was done already.

I got warned to manage the amount of "contacts" I do when I do them, so to be very careful with the volume.

I don't weigh very much (73kg), but I admit to a level of concern reading this thread.

I play bball so can get a fair bit of jumping volume in anyway, but this is why I've done boxjumps in the past, trying to improve on that. May need to find another way?

Jumping onto a box can be good.

Depth jumps are different and something only people like elite level high and long / triple jumpers with many years of training and experienced coaches need to worry about.

I got warned to manage the amount of "contacts" I do when I do them, so to be very careful with the volume.

I don't weigh very much (73kg), but I admit to a level of concern reading this thread.

I play bball so can get a fair bit of jumping volume in anyway, but this is why I've done boxjumps in the past, trying to improve on that. May need to find another way?

Yep, this is why i asked as well but didnt want to say. Im looking to return to competitive basketball in 2013 and want to improve my leap. I already do powercleans and frontsquats.

With the amount of reps quoted by most responders as well as heeding some of bazzas advice, i think injury risk can be mitigated which is a priority.

Agree 100%. Thanks to the Fitness First generation of PT's every bloke and his dog knows about plyo's.

The amount of eccentric muscle damage caused by them after even a mild session is ridiculous. So bigger guys get the worst of it because the weight absorbed is proportional to the damage (F=m*a). True plyo's are rarely used by any coach worth his salt.

Same thing with downhill running, which I know a few local footy teams did as a main part of their pre season when I was finishing high school around '06. Everybody ended up sore as phuck and they took it for a good thing. 1 of the 4 teams was relegated after a disasterous start to the season, and another finished bottom half. Both attributed it to the downhill runs after the season but all the damage was done already.

Ha downhill running.
Western reds (now defunct NRL side) loved them for pre-season. Was around 96/97 too. Must've been a fad at the time...

Yep, this is why i asked as well but didnt want to say. Im looking to return to competitive basketball in 2013 and want to improve my leap. I already do powercleans and frontsquats.

With the amount of reps quoted by most responders as well as heeding some of bazzas advice, i think injury risk can be mitigated which is a priority.

I have a copy of "The Jump Manual" around that I must read - covers a program to increase the leap that seems pretty popular. You're probably covering half of it anyways.

With bball I found the hardest thing in doing any sort of weight training was getting in enough cardio, to not be a liability on endurance or speed in the game. I neglected cardio for 6 months+, and all of a sudden instead of being the fastest/fittest bloke on the team, was hitting a wall and getting outpaced.

The best thing I found was using medicine balls and the ball rebounder. My ball handling, catching and passing really improved from this.

There are better ways to get the same training effect as plyo without doing plyo

Google "westside reactive method"
It's pretty simple and actually a good use for banded lifts
Doing speed sumo deadlifts against the bands is good for the overspeed eccentric, makes it exactly like plyo in that regard but it's very easy on the joints
Various jump squats are also good you just need to be careful with them. There is a good one where you start on your knees then jump up into the squat position and so on
Also most things mentioned in this thread, as bazza said anything where you'e not reversing a very fast landing

Ha downhill running.
Western reds (now defunct NRL side) loved them for pre-season. Was around 96/97 too. Must've been a fad at the time...

Downhill running is one of the most retarded things i have heard of.....lets turn something with some great benifits (running) into something with high impact on the joints with increased injury risk......GENIUS!!!!!!