• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bloody Sore

yeksetm

Hey

I have been working 4 days a week for about 5 months now. Have had some really good results, bodyshape has changed having dropped about 14kg and really look forward to working out (wish I could skip recovery days for a workout).

Anyway am finding that I get sore 2 days after a workout, not sore enough to impede my weights sessions but just an uncomfaortable soreness. Is there anything i can take to help with the recovery, ie extra protein, vitamins? Someone at work reccommended I take ammino acid tablets.

Cheers
Yeksetm

Monday Chest + Biceps
Tuesday Rest
Wednesday Back
Thursday Rest
Friday Shoulders + Triceps
Saturday Rest
Sunday Legs

Soreness is part and parcel of training. It will lessen after time but it will always happen unless you trained half-arsed.
Yes you can try aminos but get the powder form as it's way cheaper. Other than that get plenty of rest (min 8hrs sleep) and eat a sensible diet.

Slip the leg workout after chest/bicep so you ain't working biceps 2 workouts in a row, because they get a hammering during back.

Yeah 40km's twice a week mate, nothing overly hard just a nice tame ride on the stationary bike. Why do you hope not?

Stationary bike.. I thought you meant jog/run. Still a fair bit though, you don't really need that much cardio unless you are really into fitness. Also walking is better because it involves more muscles (arms) and more calories will be burnt in a shorter time. 3 x 20min power walking session per week is sufficient.

Im doing all the cardio to increase my fitness to loose weight, have seriously considered doing 3 x 30min sessions of interval training on the bike though.

I work my chest and abs on day one.
Day 2 I work my arms in the morning and my shoulders and legs in the arvo.
Day 3 I rest.
Day 4 the same as day one.
Day 5 same as day 2.
Day 6 and 7 are rest days.
(I jog every morning at 5am.....)

Im only working each muscle group twice a week and rest time is enough to allow muscles to repair.

Its not the work out that builds the muscle, its the rest period. The work out is to cause damage to the muscles such as micro tears, hence the soreness. When you allow enough time to recover, your muscles will grow more and you will be able to put in a bigger effort next time.
If you are still sore, take a week off every now and then and you will find you come back with a vengeance, lifting more than you did.
Whey protein both pre and post work out helps too. Supplementing protein is considered necessary in case your body decides to take what it needs from other muscles you don't use as much.

Last edited:
You neglect the largest muscle group... WHY? It should not even be considered an option to neglect it.

Yeah, I know. I have limited weight training equipment. I have an adjustable bench, a couple of dumbbells, a barbell and about 60kgs of plates.
What would you recommend?
My partner sometimes comes out to talk to me during a training session and is already impressed with my back. I guess I neglect it because I cant see it.

Hey

Thats plenty, I pretty much have the same as you. You could do;

Bentover rows
Dumbell rows
Deadlifts

etc...

Theres plenty of excercises you could do with your gear.:)

And you can do pull ups/chin ups on any overhead object you can find.
A tree branch, stair landing, doorway architrave with fingertips.

I even know an awesome gym equipment supplier who sells doorway chin up bars !

Also, dumbbell pullovers are great for lats.