• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Blacking out during OHP

L

LukasDG

For the last few weeks I've being trying to progress on the press. Currently a novice-intermediate lifter and on bill starr's 5x5 variant of starting strength, so I'm not skimping on any important compounds.

Anyway, every time I get onto the OHP work sets, I start to lose vision and hearing and feel like I'm going to faint. I've tried to work on breathing during the exercise but its come to the stage where I need a 10 second break in between each rep. My diet, sleeping, alcohol consumption is a little worse than usual but I still feel healthy and energetic during all other lifts.

Google didn't give any overly helpful advice, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and has found ways to help. All serious comments are appreciated.

I start to lose vision and hearing and feel like I'm going to faint

the OHP sessions will do that to you.. I would check your blood pressure levels if its low that would be a sympton of feeling faint. (i was going to say check your breathing technique but you mentioned your performing it right)

Alright thanks, anything other than going to a doctor that I could possibly do?

Alright thanks, anything other than going to a doctor that I could possibly do?

Mate you've just described a loss of vision and hearing (and perhaps early stage loss of consciousness) during an activity that, in 99%* of the normal population, does not cause such symptoms.

Why would you do anything but go to a doctor?

For the record I have almost the exact same symptoms you describe when I stand up too fast from a sitting position, went to the doc who told me I have low blood pressure. Go see what your doc rekons. :)

* Of course this stat is made up but I have seen some decent presses and very impressive jerks occur with no report of these symptoms.

i do checkups with my doc every 3 months.. blood/etc. training takes alot out of your body .. while u maybe looking good outside sometimes because of the amount of protien we take (for e.g) it takes its toll on the kidneys.

i do checkups with my doc every 3 months.. blood/etc. training takes alot out of your body .. while u maybe looking good outside sometimes because of the amount of protien we take (for e.g) it takes its toll on the kidneys.

when you say "amount of protein" and "taking toll on kidneys", how much protein are you referring to? I tend to take 180g a day and i'm 70kg. Is that an overkill?

general rule of thumb i use is -

2.5 x Bodyweight so for yourself AFB around 180g a day which is fine. I usually go 3-3.5g x BW if im on a heavy cycle. :)

The bodybuilders pros. take around over 500g a day.

The bodybuilder pros also take copious amounts of steroids, which enhances their body's ability to take up protein.

For those of us who want to keep their genitals having their original size and function, the AIS - who most would expect to know something about building muscle - recommend 1.4-2g protein per kg bodyweight daily. So for a 70kg person, that's 98-140g. 120g will be right in the middle, and is easily got without supplements and heaps of meat or fish, provided you have a decent diet.

None of which takes away from the fact that the OP needs to go to the doctor about dizziness during OHP.

Ok thanks guys I'll go to the doctor asap and probably just do seated press until then.