• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Biggest Nutrition Myths

It's not phenomenal, but is I think respectable. And the point is that it's more than is achieved by most people quoting studies - or achieved by anyone they've coached.

It is respectable, but it doesnt require the level of fine tuning getting below 10% does.

I'm not contradicting these methods. I'm saying the physiology is irrelevant. The physiological differences are dwarfed by the behavioural ones. This is why Hulk is doing well on two meals a day, while poor Dave is doing badly on three, and Annie is doing great on six. Individuals aside, there are some general trends in behaviour.

Whether multiple small meals speeds the metabolism doesn't matter, what we find is that people eating multiple small meals generally find it easier to adjust the total quantities up or down as necessary than people eating a few big meals.

This is the point, it doesnt. Issue is there are people on here who needlessly complex a process that is very simple (ensuring macros and overall calories) with voodoo like 6+ meals a day, avoiding entire food groups and organic food. For those who need this in order to lift their game thats fine (some people are very comfortable eating 6+ meals a day) but for many its totally impractical and theres no 'this doesnt matter' tag attached to the 'eat organic' argument.

Whether carbs are processed late at night differently to during the day is irrelevant, what we find is that people who have a big breakfast tend to eat less overall than people who miss breakfast and stuff themselves at dinnertime.

Whether 1,000kcal of carbs is processed differently to 1,000kcal of protein is irrelevant; what matters is that we have essential proteins, and we have essential fats but there are no essential carbs, so if you have to cut somewhere, it makes sense to cut carbs. As well, people who eat protein or fat heavy meals tend to feel fuller for longer compared to those who eat carb heavy meals. I can eat 500g of mashed potatoes easily, it's a lot harder to eat 500g steak or lard.

Thus we get the common recommendations to have a big breakfast, and/or have several small meals rather than a few big ones, and to have more protein and fats and less carbs.

The carb logic is pretty much right (but this differs enormously from forum advice of 'never eat bread') but the multiple meal thing isn't - eating very small, low carb meals on a low calorie diet is an awesome way to remain unsatiated.

So while the physiological differences may make a difference for some ideal person who eats a precise number of calories a day, this ideal person does not exist, and the behavioural variations completely overshadow the physiological ones.

We have this illusion that if we could only control all the variables down to the last gram or calorie then everything would work perfectly. But it just doesn't happen. Picking apart someone's macronutrient ratios is like the people who criticise a powerlifting competitor's squat form on YouTube, it's missing the important stuff for the not so important details.

Again this is my point. This is why I have issues with people drawing up diets based on what they eat (on here usually 6 meals a day, no starches, organic food etc) and forcing it down the throats of all other members despite totally different lifestyles, previously established healthy eating habits, cultural differences and taste palette, especially where it plain doesnt matter assuming macros/calories are correct.

Dispelling those myths was the entire point of the OPs post and he used studies and logic to back them up, much to the disappointment of many here.

It is respectable, but it doesnt require the level of fine tuning getting below 10% does.
Absolutely.

But so what? The number of people worried about going from 11 to 9% bodyfat is even less than the number of people worried about going from a 240 to 250kg squat. It's impressive stuff, but doesn't apply to 99% of the people training.

This is the point, it doesnt. Issue is there are people on here who needlessly complex a process that is very simple (ensuring macros and overall calories) with voodoo like 6+ meals a day, avoiding entire food groups and organic food.
Macro balance is even more voodoo than 6+ meals a day.

There's a lot of bullshit out there in nutrition, even more than in exercise. For example, I think back to my PT school where a guy whose stated goal was "to be so big I have to walk sideways through doorways" ate - he claimed - 4kg of meat and fish a day. When we tested bench press, he was outlifted by the 30kg lighter martial artist who only did bodyweight exercises, and who when asked if he ever had protein powder replied, "you mean like Milo?" So much for heaps and heaps of protein.

The carb logic is pretty much right (but this differs enormously from forum advice of 'never eat bread')
That's not "forum advice", that's just Markos and Shrek, far as I can tell.

This is why I have issues with people drawing up diets based on what they eat (on here usually 6 meals a day, no starches, organic food etc) and forcing it down the throats of all other members
Who's doing that? Apart from Markos and Shrek? You may or may not recall, a while back Markos I think in some newsletter told people to eat 6 cans of tuna and 1kg of mixed vegies a day. A few times I specifically mentioned that as going beyond his scope of expertise. He's a strength coach not a nutritionist.

You're confusing the loud with the majority.

Markos said that tuna and vegies thing for people wanting to lose weight. If I recall he said it wasn't sustainable or ideal but it'd get the job done.

What's balancing your Macro's got to do with a weak fat guy that doesn't know shit about nutrition eating Milo as if it's a protein supplement and over estimates the amount of meat he eats?

But anyway, more seriously here. The Rock is going to be in Fast and Furious 5. And I thought the one liners couldn't get any better, it's going to be one of the most electrifying movies in cinema history today!

iminyourface.jpg

Thanks for confusing me everyone. I might just go out and by a book on nutrition and stop wasting my time reading and trying to learn from people writing on forums:p

I swear you try to over complicate everything Kyle.

You do how ever get the award for persisting to write essay posts in majority of your retorts.

Bravo

No, my lifts are not impressive [...]. But it's not because I believe a calorie is a calorie, which is what this thread is about, it's because i'm wasting my time cutting when I don't have much muscle. [...] I'll keep on a log on this site when I finish my cut and go back to strength gaining, which will be on the 28th of February.

I LOL'ed at this, bigtime.

Now to go back to reading the rest of this thread.... :rolleyes:

That's if you are into confusion.

The other alternative is to try things for yourself, become your own expert, start taking responsibility for yourself.

I'm certainly experimenting. My first port of call is to keep my calories down but ensure I get a fair bit of protein. If that works I'll stick with it until it doesn't

So then why are you going on a low calorie diet if that's magically not required to lose weight?

Good Calories, Bad Calories: The Mythology of Obesity, or The Mythology of Gary Taubes? » Weightology

Because i try things for myself rather then read shit and become a know it all over night...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-A0iHSdcA[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTLXRMV2CE8&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdd0rqIjwOE&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dawBBUFwI88&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuX2VycPzwM&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5liKz1X-Tw&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMrtTxwznm8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: