• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
From a bodybuilding point of view its simple time under tension - if your a bodybuilder why would you shrug at the top of the press when your using the movement to develop delts/shoulders? There are enough other exercises to use to stimulate the traps - from simply building the muscle point of view.

I guess it depends on whether not locking it out is detrimental to any of the muscles or joints involved or not

I guess it depends on whether not locking it out is detrimental to any of the muscles or joints involved or not

Shrugging the shoulder in the press in some people could create shoulder impingment issue down the track.

The idea with any press movement is to keep the shoulder down throughout the movement.

+1 for power shrugs/cleans.

And also, pics of darkoz/silverbacks shoulders/traps, seeing as they're the resident experts on bodybuilding.

I'm pretty sure the rippetoe shrug thing is just another cue.
it is supposed to bring the scaps in to their anatomically correct position when the arms are overhead.

It's not that he is saying "to grow bigger traps, do overhead press with a shrug"
And he's not in to building big delts...
He is purely about strength and lifting the most weight safely.

so pressing overhead and locking out with triceps locked and scaps pushed up and locked = shrug.

I might give some trap bar farmer walks a go since thats all I've got at home that will be heavy enough.

My best trap development was when doing olympic lifting and big heavy power shrugs, the kind that you need straps to hold onto and it feels like your arms are being pulled out of the socket.

I disagree with TUT for trap development, olympic lifters have great trap development and use exclusively power builing excercises.

My best trap development was when doing olympic lifting and big heavy power shrugs, the kind that you need straps to hold onto and it feels like your arms are being pulled out of the socket.

I disagree with TUT for trap development, olympic lifters have great trap development and use exclusively power builing excercises.

I dont follow your comment on TUT...Trap exercises are one of the few barbell exercises where resistance (tension) is constant

+1 for power shrugs/cleans.

And also, pics of darkoz/silverbacks shoulders/traps, seeing as they're the resident experts on bodybuilding.

So you only take advice from the big blokes in the gym?

Ever heard of Miles Wydall? He is one of Australia's best Olympic lifting coaches, what do you reckon his best Snatch and Clean and Jerk is?
Ever heard of Dr Dan Baker? Strength and Conditioning coach for the Brissy Broncos, reckon he is the biggest bloke in the gym?

So you only take advice from the big blokes in the gym?

Ever heard of Miles Wydall? He is one of Australia's best Olympic lifting coaches, what do you reckon his best Snatch and Clean and Jerk is?
Ever heard of Dr Dan Baker? Strength and Conditioning coach for the Brissy Broncos, reckon he is the biggest bloke in the gym?

I agree with what you are saying but Australia's o lifting coach probably not that best example is it. We are bloody useless at o lifting.

Ricky Goodyear
Scott Wasson

Both these people have traps that start at their ears and stop somewhere near there arms pits.
Both deadlift over 300kg, frequently.

Don't think either of them do shrugs, or farmers walks, or OHP with a shrug or high pulls....

Ricky Goodyear
Scott Wasson

Both these people have traps that start at their ears and stop somewhere near there arms pits.

Don't think either of them do shrugs, or farmers walks, or OHP with a shrug or high pulls....

Good point

Ricky Goodyear
Scott Wasson

So none of those exercises are any good then?

I doubt those guys deadlift 300kg deliberately to grow their traps though haha

Yates had an incredibly developed neck and trap's.

Once again we throw out the baby with the bath water.

I believe the farmers walk to be a great (efficiant) neck developer, but I'm not discounting any others by a long shot..

I'm saying that it's a side effect of deadlifting heavy, but if you're a bodybuilder it's the reverse; i.e.. you might be strong from deadlifting (for example), but the goal is to make your traps grow, rather than move the largest amount of weight. Likewise the guy who deadlifts 300kg might have massive traps, but he dosen't deadlift specifically to grow them, it's just a side effect.