• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beyond 5/3/1

Its a good read mate, some interesting concepts to make the same boring template a lot more fun and challenging. For the price its a good read compared to other shit out there.

Its a good read mate, some interesting concepts to make the same boring template a lot more fun and challenging. For the price its a good read compared to other shit out there.

Yeah I agree with this. Definitely worth the price. Some cool new approaches to 5/3/1.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

If you ever liked 5/3/1, or the look of it, definitely get that book. It makes the original routine look arbitrarily minimal and inflexible, quite honestly.

But that could be seen as less of an endorsement of Beyond 5/3/1, and more of an indictment of 5/3/1...

Agreed - I don't regret the purchase

Really?? The first couple of 531 books almost seemed like the same one.

Yeah I really like it. Much better than the other books IMO. All pretty obvious stuff I suppose, but great twists on the original program.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I really liked it. Which is surprising because I hate everything
Full of great ideas that you can apply to any training regime

I don't have access so haven't read it but like the look of some of the templates on blackironbeast.com - 5/3/1 Calculator
One question i have for guys that have read it is with the BBB 3 month challenge it has the normal 5/3/1 set, so military press on day 1, and then you hit 2 sets of 5 for bench and then 5 sets of 10. Are the sets of 5 warmup or max?
Thanks,

^ what mick said...

With BBB, your workout would be (on the 3rd week of a cycle - percentages might not be correct, dont have the book handy)
5x 65%
3x 75%
1+ x 85%
5x10x 50%

You have the choice of either doing the 5x10 with the same exercise as your work sets ie if benching they are all bench, or you can switch up your bbb days so for example on monday you might do bench for your main sets and ohp for your BBB sets (at 50% of your ohp training max) and then on wednesday you would do ohp work sets ans BBB bench as assistance..

clear as mud? ;)

Thanks Gents,

Yep, clear as mud. No not really when you put it like that the sets in the middle are just warm up sets to the 5x10. I do like this option rather than just doing an entire squat or DL day.

My lifts have stalled and I want to try a low volume program like this and see how it goes, so watch this space.

Thanks Gents,

Yep, clear as mud. No not really when you put it like that the sets in the middle are just warm up sets to the 5x10. I do like this option rather than just doing an entire squat or DL day.

My lifts have stalled and I want to try a low volume program like this and see how it goes, so watch this space.

5/3/1 is very slow moving mate, I wouldn't be giving it a go unless you are prepared to spend 9-12 to start seeing big jumps in weight. Takes 2-3 cycles just to get up to true 1rm working weight IIRC.

5/3/1 is very slow moving mate, I wouldn't be giving it a go unless you are prepared to spend 9-12 to start seeing big jumps in weight. Takes 2-3 cycles just to get up to true 1rm working weight IIRC.

Agree. I didn't like it. It took months just to get back to original strength levels. Then after that didn't get very good strength increases for the time I was on it.

Yes i can see by printing out the first 2 cycles that it is very slow. That is fine because it will give me time to really nail my form and maybe get some coaching. I also need to work on my explosive speed - especially on the dead lift.

Agree. I didn't like it. It took months just to get back to original strength levels. Then after that didn't get very good strength increases for the time I was on it.

I thought the 90% weight was to kill off the cyber weights that people quote they pulled once in their imagination on the perfect day. I think I've set my weights fairly well coming off a higher volume and have known maxes that are just before failure. I have also seen where people on week 3, if they are feeling strong, don't go for the max reps on the final 5/3/1 set but do some single maxes to see where they are at which seems a great option to me.

Cheers for the feed back.

For me slow progress ensure injury free progress and and most of all progress every months, I set my lifts fairly spot on I think and it seems to be doing the job so far (just completed week 3 today)

Will see how it goes in a few months, early days yet.

Well looking at my notes. I did about 8-9 months of 531 and ended up weaker than I started. How's that for awesome slow steady progress.

531 has been around for a while now, can see why not many people end up going back to it once they have tried it.

Did the original 5/3/1 for about a year then went to a push/pull/legs routine but now back on the Wendler again with the new edition out. I found when I hit a strength plateau I was doing way to much accessory work, cut back on it an I was back to getting stronger again. I generally do around 20-25 sets total per workout. Joker and first set last from beyond Wendler is awesome!