• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best test of strength?

I'd say Atlas stone would be a pretty good one.

Or else, for me it'd have to be the deadlift. It requires you to use more parts of your body. You don't really work your grip or your lats in a squat.

I suppose we can agree that there cant be only one.

I like the clean & press for a seasoned lifter, the deadlift for a total novice and the squat for anyone in between.

If its easier Haz we will call it, lift something heavy from the ground to overhead.

No one lift can sum a lifters strength, thats why every lifting strength comp has a series of lifts that test the allround ability of lifter.

fair enough.

a thought. strength is maximal weight lifted, so the lift that allows for that should be the best test of strength. this is generally one of the power lifts (usually deadlift).

although that could be twisted to the quarter squat being best test.

however when i think of some one being strong i imagine odd object lifting and just overall strength which i think strong man provides. i think i might go into strong man once my powerlifts are decent and i've put on some more mass.

Interestingly enough, the last 5 lift comp I had and Strongman, run on consecutive days, had an interesting finish.

5 lift comp
1.Chris
2. Kelly
3. Nick

Strongman
1.Kelly
2. Nick
3. Chris

There were nearly 30 competitors.

I guess Strong is Strong.

Interestingly enough, the last 5 lift comp I had and Strongman, run on consecutive days, had an interesting finish.

5 lift comp
1.Chris
2. Kelly
3. Nick

Strongman
1.Kelly
2. Nick
3. Chris

There were nearly 30 competitors.

I guess Strong is Strong.

Question though, is that chris from sydney? And did he compete in the strongman?

Question though, is that chris from sydney? And did he compete in the strongman?

Yes and yes.

Christine is 93kg,

squat 207.5kg
bench 167.5kg
clean 120kg
overhead 132.5kg
deadlift 273.5kg

total 901kg

He did all this in a singlet and board shorts lol

Yes and yes.

Christine is 93kg,

squat 207.5kg
bench 167.5kg
clean 120kg
overhead 132.5kg
deadlift 273.5kg

total 901kg

He did all this in a singlet and board shorts lol

Strong boy, i met him ocne we were doing our security certificate together nice bloke..

I would say deadlift. The lift alone isn't what makes me say that, it's just that if you deadlift at all you are probably pretty tough mentally, and will train hard in your other lifts.

I've seen a lot of guys strong in bench or whatever and be weak in deadlift. I have not seen or heard of anyone with a strong deadlift who is not strong in other lifts, too.

I would say deadlift. The lift alone isn't what makes me say that, it's just that if you deadlift at all you are probably pretty tough mentally, and will train hard in your other lifts.

I've seen a lot of guys strong in bench or whatever and be weak in deadlift. I have not seen or heard of anyone with a strong deadlift who is not strong in other lifts, too.

I don't know if I agree with that completely. I reckon it takes more balls to get under the bar and drop into a heavy squat. Miss a deadlift, and you let go of the bar, crisis averted. Miss a squat, and you could end up tipping forward, falling backwards, or completely buried in the hole.

To use your reasoning in the inverse, I don't think I've seen someone with a massive squat who isn't strong in deadlifts.

Heavy snatches require even more balls again, you're squatting plus potentiall dislocating your shoulders and elbows at the same time.

Last edited:
This is why strong men is the best test of strength in my opinion...
Define strength?
I suppose it isnt all about beign a 1 hit wonder in a bench suit to me perosnally..

But i believe if you are strong you will excel in other events that require any form of strength..

This is why strong men is the best test of strength in my opinion...
Define strength?
I suppose it isnt all about beign a 1 hit wonder in a bench suit to me perosnally..

But i believe if you are strong you will excel in other events that require any form of strength..

Strongman events require; strength, power (an element of strength) and conditioning, to get the job done.
The man who does the most wins.
Posted via Mobile Device

My vote for the deadlift.

No benches, no racks, just you V gravity.