• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Berea Barbell

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Vid Brandon Lilly posted on FB w/commentary.

Good viewing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYfYSOsWLE&feature=player_embedded]12/8/12 Cube Speed Deads w/Commentary - YouTube[/ame]

Pay attention to his words

>build raw strength then build technique with your gear
>Lots of quad work
>bands are bad mkay
>paused squats are the shit
>and not a single box squat was done that day

lol he clearly said that he has used bands before and that they have helped, and he'll probably use them again.

I asked him about it just after he posted the video and he said he's weak off the floor so doesn't see the point in HIM decreasing the resistance at the bottom (real weight) so he can increase the resistance at lockout (band weight). He did say that he prefers chains over bands though.

He posted another video a few days ago about how he came up with his Cube Training Method. Basically said Westside, box squats, ME singles didn't work for him but doesn't mean they don't work altogether

More and more raw lifters are starting to say that
Just sayin, not going to beat a dead horse

How much do trips to the moon add to your total?

The moons gravity is approx 1/6th of the earths. Your best meet lifts would weigh ~67kg all up on the moon. So not a good carryover there man lol

Pay attention to his words

>build raw strength then build technique with your gear
>Lots of quad work
>bands are bad mkay
>paused squats are the shit
>and not a single box squat was done that day

Honestly man, it sounds like you pay attention to the words you WANT to hear.

Bands and chains aren't a magic tool that'll give you awesome lifts. If somebody says that, they're probably selling them. They're a tool use them as such.

Training with Bands and Chains Juggernaut Training Systems Juggernaut Training Systems

"While utilizing accommodating resistance like bands and chains, does enhance force production with barbell lifts, they are not nearly fast enough to improve speed qualities for athletes like throwers or football players" Chad Wesley Smith

Are you a thrower or a football player? Or does your chosen sport involve barbell lifts?

Alot of strong Raw guys in this article have said that you can get strong without them, as the legends of strength sports have demonstrated. But most have used them, and THEN formed an opinion.

You have taken other peoples opinions on these items as your own with any experience with them yourself.

Quads are important. But as studies have shown there is no difference in quadricep activation between a wide stance, and close stance squat. So the posterior chain is important too. Balanced training.

Lilly, in the video Hamburgler mentioned, stated he had only done a HANDFUL of correct box squats in the year he spent with Louie and the WBB crew. A FULL YEAR!! Thats 90+ squat sessions and who knows how many lifts. You have not spent any time at a gym where a coach could watch you box squat and correct your form, so it's a fair assumption in the time you used box squats not a single correct box squat was completed.

I have incorporated bands into training for the last 12 months, chains the last 6. I have made mistakes using both along the way and am learning from them. I also can measure exactly how much tension there is with bands when I need to and not over guesstimate it like some others do.

I showed Paul Carter the video and the one where he talks about westside methods and he had this to say:

"Hmmmmm, so all the stuff I've been saying for some time. Box squats don't give carryover to regular squats for most. Not to mention that if a movement is THAT hard to do properly (as Brandon talks about here) then ditch it.

Bands and chains? Don't need it. Guys got strong as fuck for decades without em, and they are incredibly overrated. I think a lot of guys use them to trick themselves into thinking they are stronger. When you see shit like "550 bar weight + 200" but that guy can't squat 600 free weight, then it's bullshit. It might look good on paper, but it's not real.

Getting back to barbell lifts in lower percentages? Something Jim Wendler and Jason Pegg and I have been talking about forever now. Maximizing your recovery curve so that supercompensation is better/more pronounced.

This is also something the 70's and 80's guys did and they were, top to bottom, stronger than everyone else. The guys you see that are the strongest raw guys today, don't train in a WSB manner. This isn't a knock on WS, it's just a fact. I don't really care about geared lifting or the guys who hit "world records" in it. As B has pointed out before, if you didn't get stronger OUT of the gear, you didn't get stronger. Period. Maximizing gear doesn't make you strong. It may make you a better geared powerlifter come competition time, but it doesn't make you strong, or stronger.

People can defend or bash training methodologies for all sorts of reasons, but what most of us care about, is what works. You know what works? A barbell, some plates, and a lot of internal desire to get fucking better. All other accessories not required."

People can defend or bash training methodologies for all sorts of reasons, but what most of us care about, is what works. You know what works? A barbell, some plates, and a lot of internal desire to get fucking better. All other accessories not required."

That works up to a certain point, but when you get into the realm of 3.5-4* bw deadlifts, 3* bw squats and double bodyweight benches training becomes a whole new world!

I showed Paul Carter the video and the one where he talks about westside methods and he had this to say:

"Hmmmmm, so all the stuff I've been saying for some time. Box squats don't give carryover to regular squats for most. Not to mention that if a movement is THAT hard to do properly (as Brandon talks about here) then ditch it.

Getting back to barbell lifts in lower percentages? Something Jim Wendler and Jason Pegg and I have been talking about forever now. Maximizing your recovery curve so that supercopensation is better/more pronounced.

This week you have been having training discussions with wendler and paul carter, last week you learned to power clean from rip and malaysias national team oly coach.

Are you delusional?

Oddly enough they are normal people like you and i fluffy

Btw ikt004 paul exceeds all those standards. I do agree with you about them being brough in when youre strong though. People almost certainly use these tools FAR too early. Donnie Thompson totalled elite and was mindfuckingly strong before westside started using the bands and chains. There is a young gun at westside atm who is age 24 and was at westside since he was 15, ill try and find how his training developed

I showed Paul Carter the video and the one where he talks about westside methods and he had this to say

While it's good to know what Carter has to say on the subject, it is still SOMEBODY ELSE'S OPINION.

So why don't you compose your own words, not those that are given by another person or spewed from Google.

Box squats: They won't give carryover unless used properly. Many people use a variation of stiff leg deadlifts in their training right? But when you get on the platform do you pull the bar from the floor with knees extended? Keep your free squats in your routine and ADD box squats as an accessory.

Accommodating resistance: People used to drive cars in the 1940's and got from A to B relatively well. Do cars of the past do essentially the same job as the present? Yes. People found out that ADDING in some things made commuting/travelling better and safer. The same goes with bands and chains, don't make them an intergral part of your training, add them in where appropriate. It's not fuckin rocket science.

This week you have been having training discussions with wendler and paul carter, last week you learned to power clean from rip and malaysias national team oly coach.

Are you delusional?

Not to mention talks with Wendler and Pegg.

Also how the fuck can someone with all this knowledge fail to gain a single kg of body weight in 12 months.

Oni doesn't like box squats.

I like them because you get to sit down for a while. Just like bench press - you get to lie down in that one so it's not too strenuous either.

Also, the bands come in some really cool colours that can be matched to my mascara and lip stick.

While it's good to know what Carter has to say on the subject, it is still SOMEBODY ELSE'S OPINION.

So why don't you compose your own words, not those that are given by another person or spewed from Google.

Box squats: They won't give carryover unless used properly. Many people use a variation of stiff leg deadlifts in their training right? But when you get on the platform do you pull the bar from the floor with knees extended? Keep your free squats in your routine and ADD box squats as an accessory.

Accommodating resistance: People used to drive cars in the 1940's and got from A to B relatively well. Do cars of the past do essentially the same job as the present? Yes. People found out that ADDING in some things made commuting/travelling better and safer. The same goes with bands and chains, don't make them an intergral part of your training, add them in where appropriate. It's not fuckin rocket science.

My "opinion" is near worthless as I have put in very little time into training. This is why I find out what strong people think. It would be silly to use my own experiences as an argument.

Not to mention talks with Wendler and Pegg.

Also how the fuck can someone with all this knowledge fail to gain a single kg of body weight in 12 months.

They are both on Facebook and Fitocracy. The internets makes it so easy. Wendler, Carter, Lewis and Steel all have blogs and public email addresses also. I even hit Steve Pulcinella up on fitocracy yesterday!

Also you can have all the knowledge in the world but without the effort it means nothing. Simple doesn't mean easy lol. PS I gained 3kg so ner

My "opinion" is near worthless as I have put in very little time into training...........

........Also you can have all the knowledge in the world but without the effort it means nothing........

Heed your own words Mr. Oni, truer words you have never spoken.

And congrats on your 3kg weight gain in only 18 months. :D