• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
For me, pin presses create a lot of joint soreness - wrists and elbows, which I assumed was from the bar hitting the pins. I reckon there is a place for them - I suspect it's just a matter of treating them with respect and only using them a few weeks at a time.

We do our pin presses starting from the top like a normal bench
Definitely easier on the shoulder than starting out of the bottom

For pin presses I used to start from a dead stop but I always found getting in proper position to be a pain. Now I unrack as I would a normal bench and just pause on the pins for a 3 count so I can dissipate the stretch reflex to an extent.

I worked out today something interesting, I reckon I can bench more one off weight for a pb without a spotter to annoy me. I use a power rack with the safety bars so Im not concerned about squashing myself (more worried about looking like a dill dropping in on the safety bars). Since joining this forum and reading this sticky particular I have gone from struggling to get a set of 5x5 at 100kg to being able to get the set and getting a pb of 120kg. The 120 I did myself, I got one of the trainers to spot me this morning to try for 130 (I couldn't do it), a couple of things I worked out in hindsight. I wasn't ready when he was so I wasn't in an ideal position when he helped me unrack, which brings me to the second point, I don't like the idea of being helped to unrack, I like to know if I can lift it up in the first place, when I did the 120 I did that 2 or 3 times before I attempted the lift. On the weekend when no staff are there Im going to try the 130 again and see how I go.

I worked out today something interesting, I reckon I can bench more one off weight for a pb without a spotter to annoy me. I use a power rack with the safety bars so Im not concerned about squashing myself (more worried about looking like a dill dropping in on the safety bars). Since joining this forum and reading this sticky particular I have gone from struggling to get a set of 5x5 at 100kg to being able to get the set and getting a pb of 120kg. The 120 I did myself, I got one of the trainers to spot me this morning to try for 130 (I couldn't do it), a couple of things I worked out in hindsight. I wasn't ready when he was so I wasn't in an ideal position when he helped me unrack, which brings me to the second point, I don't like the idea of being helped to unrack, I like to know if I can lift it up in the first place, when I did the 120 I did that 2 or 3 times before I attempted the lift. On the weekend when no staff are there Im going to try the 130 again and see how I go.
I've found this in commercial gyms. At Strength Sports Gym, I don't have that problem. I think being experienced in powerlifting makes someone a better spotter (and better at lifting out), because of being more aware of the lifter's need to be properly set up physically and mentally before beginning. Commercial gym trainers just want to get in there and move some weight with you. Noble intent, not always applied correctly. The only people I can have spotting me are people who I can trust to bail me out when necessary...and to stay out of my way at all other times. A spotter who gets involved at the wrong time throws me off and makes it a lot harder for me to lift.

Good point, Im only in a small(ish) town, there a three gyms all being commercial, me and another bloke are really the only two "big" guys in there and we seldom run into each other, don't actually see many people even using to power rack, all the young blokes use the smith machine.

I only go heavy when either my brother or BB mate are there to spot me. Unrack process is the same every time for all 3 of us, big breath signals to Unrack.

Lose tightness while letting our breath to count 3,2,1.

If your spotters counts it for you, you might not 100% be ready. Its MUCH nicer when they just know. A good spotter will be the difference between me making a lift above 95% or missing it.

If you're not afraid for your life you're probably not lifting enough
I get pretty scared at around 4pm when I know I leave work to squat lol

Wow I guess I don't lift enough.

Thank you for letting us all know the mindset we need to have the body of an 0ni.

I can relate with this, at some point during the day of my workout, somthing might trigger the thought of the squat session and I feel a second of anxiety or a shudder, doesnt happen all the time, I like the feeling.

Lose tightness while letting our breath to count 3,2,1.

If your spotters counts it for you, you might not 100% be ready. Its MUCH nicer when they just know. A good spotter will be the difference between me making a lift above 95% or missing it.

I tried 3, 2, 1, *inhale* *unrack* with Emma last night and she close gripped her best comp bench. She also said she felt less pressure on her back with this method
I'll trial it for a few weeks with her and my cousin and see what results I get out of it

Really? You've never had "what if...." going through your head?

Yeah all the time I quake in fear oh my god what if..........I bail out of this squat........... Si scared I might have to take the plates off the bar and set back up.

If you get scared under a bar, game over.
You need to get into the gym and know your going to kill every rep.

Everybody at my gym does lift outs the same.
The bencher sets up, gives a nod, the spotter counts 3,2,1 - out.
Once the lifter has received the bar at arms length, the spotter opens his palms, then the benching starts.
He also guides the bar back into the rack.

We all do it this way.