• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Thanks for your response. It is one that I do agree with, but it is a very hard notion to put in your head, when everyone tells you that you must do Cardio - and eating alone will not help you lose weight! (My Best Mates fiance did fitness at Uni, and contradicts everything I say about these subjects)

I am assuming that I should not see the gains others will, as I will be eating less then them?

Would you guys recommend a high protein diet?

Thanks for your response. It is one that I do agree with, but it is a very hard notion to put in your head, when everyone tells you that you must do Cardio - and eating alone will not help you lose weight! (My Best Mates fiance did fitness at Uni, and contradicts everything I say about these subjects)

I am assuming that I should not see the gains others will, as I will be eating less then them?

Don't cut calories too much, stick to whole foods and yes protein at every meal with servings of vegetables and fruit. No, cardio is not needed, but I would do it to get fitter.

You wan't to change your body composition, by sticking to the program and getting stronger you will lose fat and maybe add some muscle at the beginning. Don't worry about the scale weight so much, but if you do want to measure with the scales, weight loss per week should be 500g-1kg to minimise muscle loss.

Start by focusing on getting stronger on the program, progressively adding weight to the bar and being consistent with a solid diet that includes whole foods and minimise or remove processed foods.

Don't cut calories too much, stick to whole foods and yes protein at every meal with servings of vegetables and fruit. No, cardio is not needed, but I would do it to get fitter.

You wan't to change your body composition, by sticking to the program and getting stronger you will lose fat and maybe add some muscle at the beginning. Don't worry about the scale weight so much, but if you do want to measure with the scales, weight loss per week should be 500g-1kg to minimise muscle loss.

Start by focusing on getting stronger on the program, progressively adding weight to the bar and being consistent with a solid diet that includes whole foods and minimise or remove processed foods.

Cheers for the replies.

Sounds like a plan. I am losing weight at the rate you have specified, as I am scared of muscle wastage and loose skin.

I am trying to convince my training partner to go with this program, as I do not want to attempt it by myself.

Cheers for the replies.

Sounds like a plan. I am losing weight at the rate you have specified, as I am scared of muscle wastage and loose skin.

I am trying to convince my training partner to go with this program, as I do not want to attempt it by myself.

Calorie deficit, not cardio, makes you lose weight. Cardio can speed up fat lose by burning more calories, but you can still be fine without cardio.

Calorie deficit, not cardio, makes you lose weight. Cardio can speed up fat lose by burning more calories, but you can still be fine without cardio.

Cheers John,

That is what I believe also - it is hard to explain it to the brainwashed out there.

Also - with the Military Press - am I able to do DB Military Press? I assume that it would be ok - but just wanted to clarify.

Cheers John,

That is what I believe also - it is hard to explain it to the brainwashed out there.

Also - with the Military Press - am I able to do DB Military Press? I assume that it would be ok - but just wanted to clarify.

Lifting in itself is more important than what you're lifting ;)

Doing some light(ish) cardio on your off days is a good way to get fitter, but it's also good for muscle recovery from your lifting

Lifting in itself is more important than what you're lifting ;)

Doing some light(ish) cardio on your off days is a good way to get fitter, but it's also good for muscle recovery from your lifting

Cheers John,

If you have dumbbells, then lift them off the ground, push them over your head, whatever. If it's a barbell, fine. If you push it from the front of your shoulders or from the back, it's fine. You'll still get stronger.
If it is a keg full of water, that's fine too. Keep making it heavier. Keep technique strong. Keep lifting.

Cheers John,

If you have dumbbells, then lift them off the ground, push them over your head, whatever. If it's a barbell, fine. If you push it from the front of your shoulders or from the back, it's fine. You'll still get stronger.
If it is a keg full of water, that's fine too. Keep making it heavier. Keep technique strong. Keep lifting.

I started this program in early January and have made some good gains. At 77kg BW I have reached 100kg BP pretty easily and am well on my way to 180kg DL, however, I am really struggling on the squat. Markos suggests 140kg squat as the bench mark for beginners to work too, right now I can squat 110kg to just below parallel for 1 rep and feel that 140kg is very long way off, or even unachievable, while the other lifts are progressing fine. Is there any reason why my squat might be disproportionate? Any advice in improving this?

I started this program in early January and have made some good gains. At 77kg BW I have reached 100kg BP pretty easily and am well on my way to 180kg DL, however, I am really struggling on the squat. Markos suggests 140kg squat as the bench mark for beginners to work too, right now I can squat 110kg to just below parallel for 1 rep and feel that 140kg is very long way off, or even unachievable, while the other lifts are progressing fine. Is there any reason why my squat might be disproportionate? Any advice in improving this?