• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
i too find my self struggling i eat pretty good but cant seem to really climb up the weights much i dont know if doing weights for a while previously is slowing down my progress but i also feel i cant get mentally connect to my muscles to lift heavy if you get what i mean like i tell my self i can do it than i seem to be unfocused when i lift i dont know how to focus so to speak any suggestions?

i too find my self struggling i eat pretty good but cant seem to really climb up the weights much i dont know if doing weights for a while previously is slowing down my progress but i also feel i cant get mentally connect to my muscles to lift heavy if you get what i mean like i tell my self i can do it than i seem to be unfocused when i lift i dont know how to focus so to speak any suggestions?

I have the same problem regarding mind-muscle connection when dealing with the heavier weights.

One of my problems with the bench is that I subconsciously worry about getting stuck under the bar so I will never push myself to the absolute max. Also this probably means I'm not totally focused on actually doing the lift:
squeezing glutes, push with legs, elbows tucked in, pull the bar apart, push down with head... so much to concentrate on.

I have the same problem regarding mind-muscle connection when dealing with the heavier weights.

One of my problems with the bench is that I subconsciously worry about getting stuck under the bar so I will never push myself to the absolute max. Also this probably means I'm not totally focused on actually doing the lift:
squeezing glutes, push with legs, elbows tucked in, pull the bar apart, push down with head... so much to concentrate on.

I'm getting back into lifting after being out for just over 12 months with an injury and surgery. This program looks perfect to get my strength up! I was just wondering, how long do you rest between sets?

Thanks!

I'm getting back into lifting after being out for just over 12 months with an injury and surgery. This program looks perfect to get my strength up! I was just wondering, how long do you rest between sets?

Thanks!

As long as you need, and it will also vary depending on your goals
Shorter rest will mean more lactate conditioning and help with increasing muscle size. 5+ minutes for pure strength with little lactate conditioning or muscle size increase

Shorter rest will mean more lactate conditioning and help with increasing muscle size. 5+ minutes for pure strength with little lactate conditioning or muscle size increase

You will have "little ... muscle size increase" when resting 5+ minutes? Come on... so if you are increasing your weight and your Squat/Bench/Deadlift weights over a few months, your muscle size will not increase much?

I know I'm probably taking what you said out of context, but I don't think that things are quite so simple.

You will have "little ... muscle size increase" when resting 5+ minutes? Come on... so if you are increasing your weight and your Squat/Bench/Deadlift weights over a few months, your muscle size will not increase much?

I know I'm probably taking what you said out of context, but I don't think that things are quite so simple.

Yeah sorry, probably should have typed "less" rather than little.
Although if you listen to Fadi he seems to be on the same page with me, something about different energy systems (ATP-PC vs Lactate) producing different results as far as mass gain goes.

Yeah sorry, probably should have typed "less" rather than little.
Although if you listen to Fadi he seems to be on the same page with me, something about different energy systems (ATP-PC vs Lactate) producing different results as far as mass gain goes.

No, it will not increase much, not much at all in fact over the course of few months (even if you got stronger). There is a catch, and that catch relates to your overall style of training. Is it weightlifting orientated or is bodybuilding dominant?

Try few years and add on top of that high (very) high frequency training. What a bodybuilder achieves in few months when applying bodybuilding training, will take few years to achieve (and will never be achieved the same way) by a weightlifter.

The 5 minutes, (or 3-5 minutes) break (sitting down) between sets as done by weightlifters is done in order to achieve maximum neural recovery (recharge) before attempting another heavy set of about 2-3 reps. This ultra-low repetitions are not muscle building reps dominant but neural drive dominant.

Bodybuilders who aspire to reach their full potential in muscle size, would be best advised to mix it up by using different rep ranges, which affect the muscle cells/fibres differently.

Fadi.

No, it will not increase much, not much at all in fact over the course of few months (even if you got stronger). There is a catch, and that catch relates to your overall style of training. Is it weightlifting orientated or is bodybuilding dominant?

Try few years and add on top of that high (very) high frequency training. What a bodybuilder achieves in few months when applying bodybuilding training, will take few years to achieve (and will never be achieved the same way) by a weightlifter.

The 5 minutes, (or 3-5 minutes) break (sitting down) between sets as done by weightlifters is done in order to achieve maximum neural recovery (recharge) before attempting another heavy set of about 2-3 reps. This ultra-low repetitions are not muscle building reps dominant but neural drive dominant.

Bodybuilders who aspire to reach their full potential in muscle size, would be best advised to mix it up by using different rep ranges, which affect the muscle cells/fibres differently.

Fadi.

Yeah what he said ^ :p

Fadi, there's a few others on here that train with 7-8 minutes rest as they believe that is the best time for recovery of the ATP-PC energy system. What are your thoughts on the accuracy of this claim?

Fadi, there's a few others on here that train with 7-8 minutes rest as they believe that is the best time for recovery of the ATP-PC energy system. What are your thoughts on the accuracy of this claim?

7-8 minutes!!!? Where did that come from? No one needs the ATP-PC more than weightlifters, powerlifters, and strongman. I fail to see how bodybuilders would fit into such a category (unless they are training like a weightlifter)! And even then, it's between 3-5 miuntes and not 7-8 minutes.

Surely the people you've mentioned must have heard of the most intense of all bodybuilding methods; the rest-pause method. Here we only need about 10-15 seconds before we have enough ATP-PC regeneration/recharge to blast another repetition or two, that's 10-15 seconds and not 7-8 minutes!

PS: In a weightlifting competition where a lifter is following himself, the time betwween his lifts is a mere 90 seconds. Here I'm not speaking of 1RM as in 100% no; here I'm speaking of 105-110% of the lifter's 1RM (as lifters are known to perform PBs at lifting competitions). I'm just trying to emphasise the point that even when the lift is at maximum and beyond, one would never have a need to have a 7-8 minutes break between lifts (or sets). I stand to be corrected if someone can show me where this 7-8 minute rest could be applied. Thank you.

Fadi.

Last edited:

7-8 minutes!!!? Where did that come from? No one needs the ATP-PC more than weightlifters, powerlifters, and strongman. I fail to see how bodybuilders would fit into such a category (unless they are training like a weightlifter)! And even then, it's between 3-5 miuntes and not 7-8 minutes.

Surely the people you've mentioned must have heard of the most intense of all bodybuilding methods; the rest-pause method. Here we only need about 10-15 seconds before we have enough ATP-PC regeneration/recharge to blast another repetition or two, that's 10-15 seconds and not 7-8 minutes!

PS: In a weightlifting competition where a lifter is following himself, the time betwween his lifts is a mere 90 seconds. Here I'm not speaking of 1RM as in 100% no; here I'm speaking of 105-110% of the lifter's 1RM (as lifters are known to perform PBs at lifting competitions). I'm just trying to emphasise the point that even when the lift is at maximum and beyond, one would never have a need to have a 7-8 minutes break between lifts (or sets). I stand to be corrected if someone can show me where this 7-8 minute rest could be applied. Thank you.

Fadi.