• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

BCAA reccomendation & intake protocol

swiz

Hi,

Im just going to come out and say it. Ive never bought a bcaa supp. Ive always had them from my protein powder.

Forgive me if Im not clued in on the types etc.. I'll put the brain`dead questions at the top

*Can I buy an additive to add to drinks or water?
* Is there an effervescent type?

* whats the best powder?
* How do you guys take this stuff post workout? e.g inbetween meals for 18 hours or whatever?
* Do you take it intra workout and if so when and how much?

Thanks Bro's

If you have a high protein diet you are already getting heaps of bcaa's anyway. So buying bcaa powder is a bit of a waste of money. Use the money to by some nice steak instead.

so u agree with these pretty boys? they remind me of mike epps

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Zz7ojY8_c]YouTube - ‪BCAAS & AMINO ACIDS ARE WASTE OF MONEY!!!‬‏[/ame]

wat about intra workout or between meals?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Zz7ojY8_c"][/ame]

Last edited:
I use USPLabs Modern BCAA... I took it initially to stay as anabolic as I could while at work 9-5pm, but it has unexpectedly helped enormously with Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness (DOMS) ie. I get next to none after hard 'shock' routines, and I think its good value too. I order it from O/s and get it for half the price you'd pay here. I use it AND protein - for my use (before and after workouts) it does completely separate jobs. In my experience, protein powder does NOT reduce DOMS like this product does.

For more on that, PM and I'll send you some links, and some on cutting edge research (instead of Bro Science) on how exactly BCAA's can significantly reduce DOMS, whihc I discovered after I started taking it.

Bulk Nutrients BCAA's and amino's are very good, i know of a few guys competing in the glory days that never used protein drinks but did a lot of BCAA. Spread the use of the BCAA throughout the day, eg 60 grams devised up into 3x20. You can by flavoured or raw, your choice, add them into existing drinks. Your diet should cover most base but.

AZZA

The biggest benefit of BCAA's over straight protein is the fact that free form amino acids are readily absorbed, much more so than those available in protein powders.

Candy, your commenst about them reducing DOMS is interesting. A nice fast absorbing protein should do this too when well timed, but the fact you have mentioned you benefit from BCAA's more, further supports the theory here that rapid absorption is beneficial.

So, if you are going to have BCAA's, do not add them to your protein powder, have them seperately. People often ask me if they shoudl add them to their protein, doing this completely negates the largest benefit from them. Protein powders have masses of BCAA's in them anyway.

The largest issue most people have with BCAA's is due to the leucine content. Leucine (which should make up close to 50% of BCAA's) is non polar by nature. This means that it won't dissolve in water.

If you get BCAA's that do miraculously dissolve then I'd be very suspicious, there may not be much leucine (and other aminos) in there.

Given the problem with leucine, BCAA's aren't the most practical to take unless you blend them with other aminos. At Bulk Nutrients we offer a new product - flavoured BCAA's which are quite popular. Thanks to the addition of Citrulline Malate, they end up mixing very well, and Citrulline malate has a double effect of reducing a lot of the bitterness.

Citrulline Malate is a fantastic ingredient to add as it is assist nitric oxide levels, more so than arginine.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I looked through the threads and could not find any info...

I bought some Optimum Nutrition Instantized BCAA 5000 powder the other day. (unflavoured) - I have to say... the stuff tastes like cr@p! To the point that I can hardly choke the stuff down.

Each serving gets approximately 2.5 l-leucine; 1.25g l-isoleucine; and 1.25g l-valine.

Given my reaction to the taste; I thought I would look at BCAA's in tablet form. Balance do a tablet that contains 300mg l-leucine; 100mg l-isoleucine and 100mg of l-valine. The recommended dose is 4 tablets (2 before working out and 2 after) which means that you "only" get 1.2g l-leucine and 0.4g of l-isoleucine and l-valine respectively. I'd basically have to double the recommended dosage to get the same amounts and, even then, I am not convinced that the capsules would absorb as effectively.

Am I kidding myself that I can take the tabs and still get the benefit or should I just suck it up and learn to live with the taste of the powder?

Suck it up at take the powder.

Mix it with Gatorade powder to mask the bitter taste.
DO NOT BUY TABLET BCAA's

Do as Shrek said and mix with gatorade powder, I buy mine from bulk nutrients and they sell flavour statchets to mix in with it if you want and its pretty good.

I mixed mine with the BN flavour and to my surprise, it actually tastes really good.

What's wrong with the caps Shrek?

The caps are usually dosed at 500mg.
So to get a decent amount (5-10gms)you need to take up to 10-20 capsules which makes them not very cost efficient.

The caps are usually dosed at 500mg.
So to get a decent amount (5-10gms)you need to take up to 10-20 capsules which makes them not very cost efficient.

You make too much sense, Shrek!
Man, I remember discussing the caps vs powder issue with some guys at last years FitX, they were adamant caps were the way to go and lived on them.

I did some quick maths for them and realised that in capsule form they were paig 6 times as much for their BCAA's (about $300 a kg!) than if they had bought powder from us.
Another negative is all that gelatin, while I have never heard any dangers, I can't imagine that consuming 20 caps worth of gelatin each time you want 8g of BCAA's to be a good thing.

If you don't like the taste of bcaa's try our flavoured versions, they are mixed with Citruline Malate (which is great for N.O production) and are still exceptionally pure, at $65 for 1kg they mix and taset so uch better than raw BCAA's - FLAVOURED BCAA'S - 4KG they get as cheap as $55 a kg if you buy 4kg.

Cheers Bioflex; got the order off a few minutes ago; looking forward to tasting this stuff. FWIW, it has a way better concentration of BCAA's than the unfalvoured shite I bought!

Last edited:
I use xtend's old formula of BCAA's which I got at the clearance price because the new formula had come out, but I take them fasted. I take 10g preworkout and 10g intra workout only on days i workout.

This cut I'm taking 20g BCAA's intra workout as a muscle sparing experiment, still getting my 350g p/day of protein, I just felt I lost size and strength a bit last cut, going better this time around.

Regarding the mixing with water, I put 20g in 1L of water and it takes all night to dissolve, I have forgotten in the past and put it in 2hrs before training and it still hadn't dissolved, weird?

i've been taking bcaa's in powder about 10-12g a day but tastes horrible. i've seen that ajinomoto make a new instantised powder that apparently has 1/10 the bitterness of regular powder and dissolves fully in water. pretty good price i've seen from professionalwhey $80/kg