• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

AUSBB Strength Record Board

Lets allow others to marvel at your lifts

Chris 93kg, lifting in board shorts and singlet, no belt or wraps

Squat 207.5kg
Bench 167.5kg
Dead 273.5kg
Clean 120kg
PP behind neck 132.5kg

Chris is over 6' tall and very lean

index.php

Thats Chris

Now that's a physique to aspire too. His lifts are friggin awesome too. Thumbs up on all fronts.

Rubbish. With the Wilks Formula, as Robert readily admits, it now tends to favour the heavier guys. I would not use this formula in determing rankings for individual lifts. The only exception would be if each of the powerlifts contributed one third to a lifter's total.

In reality, most lifters can squat and deadlift more than they can bench press. To use this to rank individual lifts is simply incorrect and the heavier lift will be advantaged.

Although i have not analysised the data, i would strongly suspect that the heavier lifter's bench press, as a % of their total, would be higher then for a lighter lifter. To use the Wilks Formula to rank the Bench Press would further advantage the heavier lifter.

With Wilks, there is no advantage or disadvantage due to bodyweight.

Stronger guy comes out on top. It can be used to rate individual lifts or totals.

Last edited:
Rubbish. With the Wilks Formula, as Robert readily admits, it now tends to favour the heavier guys. I would not use this formula in determing rankings for individual lifts. The only exception would be if each of the powerlifts contributed one third to a lifter's total.

In reality, most lifters can squat and deadlift more than they can bench press. To use this to rank individual lifts is simply incorrect and the heavier lift will be advantaged.

Although i have not analysised the data, i would strongly suspect that the heavier lifter's bench press, as a % of their total, would be higher then for a lighter lifter. To use the Wilks Formula to rank the Bench Press would further advantage the heavier lifter.
I agree with this the bigger you are the easyer it is to get wilks points
iv been saying this ever since I started lifting heres a good example
2010 Oceania Bench Press Championships
- Nathan Baxter - BTW 168.4 - BP 280 - 152.307 wilks
- Steven Pritchard - BTW 123.5 - BP 270 - 154.243 wilks

Sp gives away 44.9 kgs lifts 10kgs less than Baxter,
and only wins by 1.936 wilks points

What a joke

What a joke

Wilks formula was derived from totals, not single lift results, and from older data beforethe advancement of bench shirts, so it shouldn't be used for single lifts, in particular shirted bench. It's not surprising it produces unfair results when applied to bench press only comps.

Unfortunately, there isn't a real coefficient specifically designed for equipped bench press (in any fed, glossbrenner is a 3-lift coefficient as well). So although it can produces some unfair results, there is no better alternative available at this stage.

I believe that several years ago it was proposed at the IPF General Meeting that a formula be developed for the Bench Press for this specific reason. However, this proposal was rejected by the IPF. Not too sure as to the reason for this decision.

Last edited:
I believe that several years ago it was proposed at the IPF General Annual that a formula be developed for the Bench Press for this specific reason. However, this proposal was rejected by the IPF. Not too sure as to the reason for this decision.

I recall this too. I don't know the exact reason but I can hazard a guess. IPF put the temporary hold on approval of new bench shirts, which is still going. There was also talk about getting rid of bench shirts altogether (which was knocked back). Now we have new weight classes and soon raw at international level.

Until the dust settles and there is a decent body of data, any attempt to derive a bench-only formula is not going to be possible.

The other reason might be political, ie the powerlifting includes single lift vs the true sport of powerlifting has 3 lifts camp.

I still think that if they're holding bench only comps, they should derive a bench only formula.

Squat double bodyweight
squat 1.5 times bodyweight x 20
bench press 1.5 times bodyweight
bench press bodyweight x 10 - done
deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight
powerclean 1.2 x bodyweight
15 dead hang wide grip chins
clean & push press bodyweight x 5
strict standing military press bodyweight - done

What a joke
I'm also 4 inches taller than Stephen - swings and roundabouts.