• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

anyone here not working to a programme?

poopoohead

Im building my own gym at home, man its kinda like having your own swimming pool on a hot day.
I can spend all day tricking myself out, some mad as pumps.
I just do whatever and go hard, hit 155kg bench press yesturday and slayed my tris.
Anyone else here hit it like a kid in a candy store?

yeah i have no set program at the moment got my own set up at home too. i just rotate bench, squats, deads, pullups, powercleans and military. throw in extras like shrugs, rows, curls as i feel like it.

nice bench by the way!

got a squat rack with bench, cable pulleys with attachments (which i never use ha ha), chin bar and about 180kg of olympic weights. got a few dumbells with weights and an EZ curl bar as well. need to get some kettlebells and something to do dips on when i get some cash. i got sick of paying for crappy gym memberships so just bought the rack and weights and never looked back

yeah, I hear ya man. My memberships coming up in august and I dont think Im gonna let it roll, just close it. I used to go all the time but now sick of the lack of equipment, and dudes who camp out on the shit I want to use.
Plus especially lately a fair few D-head bodybuilders prancing about trying to be all knowledgable.
Just gonna build my gym, and use the gym down the road from me on a casual basis if needs be. I dont need much gear, but it looks loike I gonna have to hunt for decent plates.

i dont use any of the cardio crap or super-duper-isolation-cable machines at the gym anymore anyway so a good set up of free weights is more than enough for me. ive got a gym down the road if i ever want to do a casual session to mix it up but i havent needed to yet. i might have to invest in some more plates soon though

I just do compounds.

Heavy Bench, Heavy Squats, Heavy Deads

Mainly 2 times a week.

No, I have a strength program that i stick to and I love the routine and always knowing what's going on with my workouts.

Nice one man, good for you.:)
However Just becos one does not stick to a "programme" doesnt mean they dont know whats going on with the workouts.
do you not know in your head how much you can now bench, dead or squat.
Sets and reps are mentally ingraved, its just the weight that goes up.
Im not saying its better to not w/o to a programme, but I think it is better to know your body and have engraved in your mind what needs to be done in order to get where you want to be.
Frankly I think programmes are to restrictive and suck some of the fun out of the sport.
The Snout is right to stick to his compounds, as do I. But I think everything else like Bi's, tri's, Delts etc are just add-ons kinda yummy like lollies. the muscle groups are small and dont take much to be tourchered.
Guys go too far with that crap which is why you get these posers walking about with big odd shaped arms and no chest, or freakish delts and no arms.
Cos they dont understand there own bodies, for example i have slow growing delts like Branch warren, so I have to do way more to my delts then the other guy to get them to beef. Its genetics.
If I was following a programme dictating so many reps per set almost matching everything else in my programme, my delts will forever lag as a result.
I think unless your a competing builder or lifter programmes can ruin a good w/o and make you machanic instead of automatic.
Just my opinion after being on programmes for almost 6 years of lifting.
I find the programmes at first beneficial as the beginng of the programme is taylored to how much you can lift after that you can get lost in the routine and lose your way, if you dont start getting to know your true limits.

Man this is a big rant, this coffee is strong.

Should add.

Just because someone isn't in a routine, doesn't mean they aren't thinking about what they are doing. For example with my compounds, I'm not just pointlessly banging out sets.

There are some rules I follow, like I Bench and Squat twice a week. Deadlift once. Or Squat once, Deadlift twice. Why ? Because experience tells me that's what my 37yo body can take.

I workout Sunday and Thursday nights etc. And I slowly add more weight overall. If I'm cutting I just maintain my numbers and don't try to go heavier.

The main thing for me is to lift multiple times a week, heavy, just using compounds. Simple formula, but it works, IF you are just trying to be big and muscular. Actual bodybuilding for comp would require more, but I don't workout for that.

Last edited:
However Just becos one does not stick to a "programme" doesnt mean they dont know whats going on with the workouts.
do you not know in your head how much you can now bench, dead or squat.

Mate I'm that far retarded with numbers and memory, that I write everything down, as I go and before I go in, so I know.

People might think I'm retarded carrying around a note pad, but If I had to try and remember my sets and weights etc, I wouldn't be able to function.

I never do programmes i mainly go by feel but stick to certain execises for a while then change them. My therory is if you can do more reps do them, dont stop at 8 reps on your last set if you could have done 12, also weights, you should be adding weight all the time, i hardly ever taper off. Only time recently i did a programme was at Christmas, i did a 6x3, 6x6, 4x8 programme, you do this over 3 weeks then repeat. I am 37 and have trained over 19 years off and on and 2 years full on. This program was great, its designed to get your working weights up, after 1 cycle (3 weeks) i was doing the triples on my sets of six sets and after 2 cycles went the 8 reps (up from 3) on those sets with same weights.
AZZA

Mate I'm that far retarded with numbers and memory, that I write everything down, as I go and before I go in, so I know.

People might think I'm retarded carrying around a note pad, but If I had to try and remember my sets and weights etc, I wouldn't be able to function.

Mate your doing well to stick to your programme, and theres nothing wrong wif writing stuff down, I have to do that at work sometimes so the boss dont rip me a new one.
It takes discipline to stick to programmes and routines, I just think that I personally dont need to use one, but I dont feel it makes me less of a lifter then someone who does. But then I aint going for any records, comps or trying to get big.
Mine is mostly muscle maintenance.

I never do programmes i mainly go by feel but stick to certain execises for a while then change them. My therory is if you can do more reps do them, dont stop at 8 reps on your last set if you could have done 12, also weights, you should be adding weight all the time, i hardly ever taper off. Only time recently i did a programme was at Christmas, i did a 6x3, 6x6, 4x8 programme, you do this over 3 weeks then repeat. I am 37 and have trained over 19 years off and on and 2 years full on. This program was great, its designed to get your working weights up, after 1 cycle (3 weeks) i was doing the triples on my sets of six sets and after 2 cycles went the 8 reps (up from 3) on those sets with same weights.
AZZA

Yeah, I quite liked a 5x5 programme Which I may eventually kick off again, its kind of a beginner one but I found it great for building strength quick. If I can track it down I'll post it (hang on a tick).

I have a very loose program.You share the gym with a lot of other people so the equipment isn`t always free.If the bench press is booked up I do dumbell press or if that is out I will go to a machine.

i base my training off 5x5 using the first 1-2 sets as warmups but after the 5x5 i continue to add weight and drop back the reps.

e.g my last deadlift session:

60kg x 5
100kg x 5
110kg x 5
120kg x 5
130kg x 5
140kg x 4
150kg x 1
160kg x 1

sometimes i'll work my way back down the weights with higher reps as well:

e.g my last bench session:
Bar x 8
40kg x 5
50kg x 5
60kg x 5
70kg x 3
80kg x 1
85kg x 1
60kg x 5
50kg x 10

i find this im always making progress this way as im constantly hitting the heaviest weights i can handle even if i cant rep them x5. i like working off programs too but lately this is what ive been doing and its working well for me. i do probably need to structure it a little more but im always doing compound movements so no part of the body is missed during a workout anyway.

5x5 is good, i have done that afew times, going to do FST7 training by Harry Rambrod. Its 7x7 with 30 secs rest, you do a muscle contraction exercise after a compound and flood the muscle with blood. Eg seated rows after deads.
AZZA