• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

alcohol (white wine) and weight training.

Pistachio, it has to do with protein synthesis when you drink Alcohol or something like that. I still drink a few beers on the weekend though.

Red wine contains what we know as resveratrol---an antioxidant that may help to protect one from obesity and diabetes, both of which are strong risk factors for heart disease. Apart from this, a recent study in France indicated that it may double exercise endurance. The resveratrol subjects were found to have energy-charged muscles and a lower heart rate, much like trained ahletes. And so, from this point of view, red wine's potential heart-health benefits look promising.

Take resveratrol/drop the other.

I stand corrected....

Food Calories (cal)
Wine, fortified: Port, Muscatel (18% Alc.) 1,118
Wine, fortified: Sherry, Cream (18% Alc.) 1065
Wine, fortified: Sherry, Dry (18% Alc.) 780
Wine, fortified: Sherry, Sweet (18% Alc.) 1065
Wine, fortified: Vermouth (18% Alc.) 825
Wine: Champagne, average 531
Wine: Cooler (3.4% Alc.) 520
Wine: Red 500
Spirits: Vodka (40% Alc.) 1530

Apologies.....9cal / 100ml must have been spirits this is a table of Wines and calories per bottle. Spirits is per glass!

Oops..............................................................

Pistachio, it has to do with protein synthesis when you drink Alcohol or something like that. I still drink a few beers on the weekend though.

The key word here is "prolonged" or chronic. Prolonged or chronic alcohol consumption will result in the followings:

1. Body fat increases

Alcohol has no nutritional value. Rather, it is full of calories. This increases one's calorie content and disrupts the Kreb's cycle. The result is poor metabolism as the body shifts to try and digest the alcohol. Poor metabolism leads to fat deposition which disrupting the bodybuilding process.

2. Dehydration

Alcohol intake causes dehydration of the muscle cells. Such cells have difficulty with the absorption of nutrients crucial to muscle growth and relaxation such as phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and iron.
Hangovers reduce the concentration and intensity of the workout sessions.

Protein synthesis is also affected by more than 20%. This directly harbors muscle growth.

Further, dehydrated muscles cannot engage in anabolic growth, important as it is bodybuilding.

3. Decreased testosterone levels

The higher the alcohol levels in the body, the lower the testosterone count. More surprising is the rise of estrogen level. Alcohol triggers the conversion of androgens to estrogen. High estrogen levels lead to a condition known as Gynecomastria. This is the formation of breasts in men with long histories of heavy drinking.

4. Catabolism

Long hours of heavy drinking often result in blackouts or oversleeping. This translates to one waking up late having missed one or two meals. Bodybuilders have planned out meal schedules. Missing meals triggers catabolism. This is where the body turns to its muscle tissue to obtain energy. This wastes muscle tissue hard earned in the gym.

L

Alcohol is poison simple as that..

People like to think that antioxidents in it gives them an excuse to drink it.

Last time i checked green tea had antioxidants but no one rushes to drink that at the club.

Alcohol is poison simple as that..

People like to think that antioxidents in it gives them an excuse to drink it.

Last time i checked green tea had antioxidants but no one rushes to drink that at the club.

I triple that!

Fadi.

Having passion for brewing i have to say i completely disagree with the gun ho alcohol is a poison view.

If you want to be an olympic weightlifter, or preparing for a comp then yes drop the booze.

But a thick, oatmeal black stout full of Iron, Vitamin B, Yeast is not only the most wonderful tasting thing, it is a science and an art.

Drink in moderation like all things in life...so you can enjoy them for as long as possible.

meh.. you did come into a BB forum so you have to assume people take their weights seriously. There is no benefit from taking alcohol if your goal is to create lean tissue mass, anti-oxidins, iron, carbs, can be obtained through so many other non-alcoholic mediums that arguing for alcohol on that basis is simply trying to justify your need to drink. If you love to drink, good on you, but I don't think you can expect much support unless you were asking us all over for a BBQ and you were going to supply the beer :)

Having passion for brewing i have to say i completely disagree with the gun ho alcohol is a poison view.

If you want to be an olympic weightlifter, or preparing for a comp then yes drop the booze.

But a thick, oatmeal black stout full of Iron, Vitamin B, Yeast is not only the most wonderful tasting thing, it is a science and an art.

Drink in moderation like all things in life...so you can enjoy them for as long as possible.

My friends who snort coke and take pills and smoke bongs tell me the same thing.

Come on, be fair, booze is not as nasty as coke and wacky weed. Something about those things makes it impossible for people to use them "in moderation."

You can do alright if you stay in the guidelines of <=6 std drinks per week, <=2 per day. The problem is staying under that. Some people can't moderate things - so for them, it's better not to drink at all.

SOme people say the same about weed.

Alcahol is pure poison thats what it is getting drunk is your brains reaction to a poison.

I dont know why people cant accept that.

I dont drink anymore at all..

I'd just read about this guy who drinks 1 glass wine + 50 mL glycerine.
Bodybuilding Contest Diet

I wonder what that tastes like?! :confused:

I have also heard about guys doing this - drinking upto a bottle of dry white wine a day or so before a comp to help dry them out.

If i drunk a bottle of wine when not dieting id prob get totally drunk so I don't know what it would be like 1 day out from a comp! lol