• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

alcohol (white wine) and weight training.

D

dent

I know i shouldnt drink alcohol if i want to train. Im curious though exactly how bad one or two glasses of white, or red wine is with dinner once or twice a week. im guessing all the carbs in beer make it a no no generaly. but seriously, is a couple of glasses of wine going to cause major problems? thanks for your time everyone. dent.

Not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than two standard drinks in a day, for long-term health.

A "glass of wine" is usually 2-3 standard drinks.

Some booze won't stop you training. But your results will come a lot slower than they would otherwise.

It's all a matter of what's important to you, nothing comes free.

I know i shouldnt drink alcohol if i want to train. Im curious though exactly how bad one or two glasses of white, or red wine is with dinner once or twice a week. im guessing all the carbs in beer make it a no no generaly. but seriously, is a couple of glasses of wine going to cause major problems? thanks for your time everyone. dent.

Alcohol, call it what you like it's still poison. That's my take on the subject of alcohol. Period.

I respect others' views though...

Fadi.

I use to be a big wine drinker until I relised that although it wasnt hurting my lifts it was impacting the ability for my body to use the protein from the steak i ate with the wine. Also consider this, wine has the highest amount of calories per unit weight of anything that you'll put in your mouth....9 cals/ml so if you're drinking 100mls and admit it you will never stop at 100ml thats almost the same amount of cals as a pizza. Empty calories that will stop your body from being in an anabolic state. I take my steak with water now, not as graceful but atleast the nutritional value of the steak is not going to waste. Oh and I have an extra $200 a month in my pocket.

I use to drink a glass of wine the night before competition:) you wake up dry and hard.

/Mattias

That's if you wake up!:D

Sorry sorry Mattias, I'm in a very chicky mood this morning. I must be overly tired I think.:)

Fadi.

Alcohol, call it what you like it's still poison. That's my take on the subject of alcohol. Period.

I respect others' views though...

Fadi.

Fadi, while i understand your view point, i have read many studies that show that a small amount of alcohol taken each day (i.e. a night cap) can have beneficial effects on a lot of different things. have you read any of these, or have any opinion on these?

typically, i drink bugger all, maybe one saturday a month. on that night, i may have 6-10 drinks, depending on what i end up doing. i consider this to be like a cheat day :)

I use to be a big wine drinker until I relised that although it wasnt hurting my lifts it was impacting the ability for my body to use the protein from the steak i ate with the wine. Also consider this, wine has the highest amount of calories per unit weight of anything that you'll put in your mouth....9 cals/ml so if you're drinking 100mls and admit it you will never stop at 100ml thats almost the same amount of cals as a pizza. Empty calories that will stop your body from being in an anabolic state. I take my steak with water now, not as graceful but atleast the nutritional value of the steak is not going to waste. Oh and I have an extra $200 a month in my pocket.

Are you sure about that figure Kingpin? That would mean there are 900 cals per 100ml glass of wine or 6750 cals per bottle (750ml). I don't drink wine, but that is massive!!

Are you sure about that figure Kingpin? That would mean there are 900 cals per 100ml glass of wine or 6750 cals per bottle (750ml). I don't drink wine, but that is massive!!

its 9 cals (or thereabouts) per GRAM of alcohol, not per mL of wine, so not it is not that bad :)

Yes, only the alcohol is 9kcal/g, and wine is not 100% alcohol, but like beer it does have other stuff in it, mostly simple carbs.

A typical 200ml glass of wine, which is 2 standard drinks, has got about 150-200kcal (more for sweet and white, less for dry and red). A 375ml stubby of heavy beer, 1.5-2 standard drinks, has about 150kcal.

It's about 15 minutes of moderate exercise to burn one standard drink. So if you have a bottle of wine in a week, that's a couple of hours of cardio. A sixpack of heavy beer is 2-3 hours.

A typical workout programme might be Mon/Wed/Fri weights for an hour and Tues/Thurs/Sat cardio for 30 minutes, or 4.5 hours a week. The weights aren't usually as intense because you have rest sessions, but they burn more calories after the workout so an hour of weights, hour of cardio, comes to roughly the same thing.

So in terms of fat loss, if you drink a bottle of wine or two, and drink a sixpack or two weekly, you're spinning your wheels going nowhere.

The "not more than six standard drinks" I recommended above translates to up to 1.5 hours of weights or cardio. Against the 4.5 hours or so weekly, it's "two steps forward, one step back." Drink more than that and you're going nowhere, or going backwards.

Aside from calories, you have to consider the nutrition of the thing. After all, there's a difference between 1,000 kcal of beer and 1,000 kcal of oranges, apples, green beans and almonds. If you are restricting your overall calories, or trying to bulk up without gaining too much fat or getting ill, then you want the maximum vitamins and minerals and protein from those calories. Most booze has very little.

Last edited:
Red wine contains what we know as resveratrol---an antioxidant that may help to protect one from obesity and diabetes, both of which are strong risk factors for heart disease. Apart from this, a recent study in France indicated that it may double exercise endurance. The resveratrol subjects were found to have energy-charged muscles and a lower heart rate, much like trained ahletes. And so, from this point of view, red wine's potential heart-health benefits look promising.

Red wine contains what we know as resveratrol---an antioxidant that may help to protect one from obesity and diabetes, both of which are strong risk factors for heart disease.
So you could eat lots, do no exercise, get obese, and have red wine to lessen the effects.

Or you could eat less and do some exercise and not get obese in the first place :)

So you could eat lots, do no exercise, get obese, and have red wine to lessen the effects.

Or you could eat less and do some exercise and not get obese in the first place :)

Neither.

It should read like this: eat moderately by controlling the number of calories u eat from a balanced diet, exercise and drink a glass or two of wine as u may like!!!! It also means eat a variety of foods and do not eat too much of everything. Red wine is just an example.

Last edited:
Good food + some wine is definitely better than bad food + no wine.

But good food alone is best of all.

The problem with the "occasional" drink is that for many people, because "occasional" is not defined, they end up drinking a lot. That's why I specified, not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than two in one day.

Some may expect to achieve their physique, strength and fitness goals even with higher alcohol consumption. I expect them to have as much success as timguyperson and his KFC & subway + "instinctive" workouts. A few will, most won't.

I strongly agree with you, Kyle.

A standard drink is equal to 13.7 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol or
  • 12-ounces of beer.
  • 8-ounces of malt liquor.
  • 5-ounces of wine.
  • 1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, or whiskey).

Individual reactions to alcohol vary, and are influenced by many factors, including but not limited to
  • Age.
  • Gender.
  • Race or ethnicity.
  • Physical condition (weight, fitness level, etc).
  • Amount of food consumed before drinking.
  • How quickly the alcohol was consumed.
  • Use of drugs or prescription medicines.
  • Family history of alcohol problems.

I strongly agree with you, Kyle.

A standard drink is equal to 13.7 grams (0.6 ounces) of pure alcohol or
  • 12-ounces of beer.
  • 8-ounces of malt liquor.
  • 5-ounces of wine.
  • 1.5-ounces or a “shot” of 80-proof distilled spirits or liquor (e.g., gin, rum, vodka, or whiskey).

i would tend to agree with you here. what is so bad about a couple of drinks here and there? the way i see it, it is empty calories. obviously, it is better to have nutritious calories, but if you are on a high calorie diet anyway, what does it matter if a few hundred of those calories are empty? its like having a chocolate bar or something else, there is no nutrition in there, just calories.

unless there is some super negative effects of alcohol of which i am unaware? (as i mentioned earlier, i am only aware of positive effects of consuming small, regular quantities of alcohol)