• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Aerobic and Resistance training - Do them Apart?

jj80

Just wondering what people think of the old bro building advice 'Dont do aerobic exercise near your weight training' - I've heard it on the Dorian Yates "blood and guts" video for one....

I have been hesitant doing long walks before or after my weight training, wondering if I will be losing 'all my gainz'... But it's the only time I have (in the evenings), and I do need to do the aerobic stuff.

Last edited:
Never heard of this before.

Would not really consider walking as cardio that would affect any muscle gains.

And why do you need to do cardio??

@jj80:

"and I do need to do the aerobic stuff"

Why?

Is it because your workout is half arsed?

No, I just have a very slow and efficient metabolism.

For me to reach a calorie deficit without aerobic exercise I have to eat about 2000 calories (at 105kg bodyweight), which doesn't let me have much protein. My entire family is the same (tall, light builds and we barely have to eat to maintain our weight).

My workouts are about 1-1.5 hours for upper body twice a week. Lower body is a bit different because I have to be careful with injuries so it is I guess a little half arsed (but I have to be careful)

Last edited:
No, I just have a very slow and efficient metabolism.

For me to reach a calorie deficit without aerobic exercise I have to eat about 2000 calories (at 105kg bodyweight), which doesn't let me have much protein. My entire family is the same (tall, light builds and we barely have to eat to maintain our weight).

I think going for brisk one hour walk after a hard workout is the absolute best option for you.

Yep, brisk being the operative work, not a slow walk, but fast strong steps, getting your heart rate going a bit

If you either keep the intensity low or keep the duration of the high intensity work low, how will that effect your gains?

/edit - or just keep your heart rate up in your workouts.. throw in a few silverback specials (read: circuits involving farmer's walks) and you probably don't need to cardio ;)

Farmers walks, timed sets (eg: 15 mins worth of light deadlifts) sled drags, sand dune sprints, DB snatches....
My question is, what are you doing about your injuries? They seem to be hanging around for quite some time....

Used to do a walk after weight training all the time - and to be honest thats when I was having my best results in the gym - I was also dieting like a crazy mofo though - but no I dont think it will effect you at all.

One thing I'd prob never do is cardio before the gym - simply for the fact that I want as much energy as possible for your weights.

Adding in abit of cardio regardless if your bulking, cutting, bodybuilding, powerlifting etc etc is always a good option - I always go for a least 2 walks a week regardless of what my goal is.

Funny enough, in 'Defranco's Built like a Bad Ass'manual he called for some briefe but hard aerobic work after weights... skipping, 1 mile run, weight complex.

I had a few friends who used to swear by running a mile after a session.

Being over 40 a good weight session just wipes me out... drawbacks of age I guess.

Maybe try circuit training with higher reps and giant sets.

If your lower body workouts have to be less intense, then that may be the workout to up the rep count and drop the rest time.

The stimulus provided by having different rep ranges during the week may trigger improved hypertrophy. I don't know for sure though, it's just a hunch I've got. It's just the vibe of the thing lol.

Keep your training heavey, lowish reps, short sessions, intense and then do your cardio...keep it simple and you will get results.

Train hard, be consistent, eat clean - have a cheat meal once a week and drink plenty of water...

Maybe try circuit training with higher reps and giant sets.

If your lower body workouts have to be less intense, then that may be the workout to up the rep count and drop the rest time.

The stimulus provided by having different rep ranges during the week may trigger improved hypertrophy. I don't know for sure though, it's just a hunch I've got. It's just the vibe of the thing lol.

You could be onto something.

The lower body does need more work compared to the upper.

Working in the fifteen to twenty rep world does biuld strength and also gives the endocrine system and good work over.

You could be onto something.

The lower body does need more work compared to the upper.

Working in the fifteen to twenty rep world does biuld strength and also gives the endocrine system and good work over.

Higher rep training - i.e 15-20+ is great for muscle endurance training but for building strength and muscle not great.

Higher rep training - i.e 15-20+ is great for muscle endurance training but for building strength and muscle not great.

Do you have any opinions for rep ranges that worked for you rugby? Seems like you have more exp than some willing to throw their opinions into the debate

2-4 strength
8-12 hypertrophy
etc.

Do you have any opinions for rep ranges that worked for you rugby? Seems like you have more exp than some willing to throw their opinions into the debate

2-4 strength
8-12 hypertrophy
etc.

Strength I do like volume but reversed i.e maybe doing 10 sets of 3 for example - look at the Sheiko thread for examples of "volume" suited for strength training - but if we want to talk in laymans terms then yes 1-4 reps is great for strength.

Hypertrophy - 1-3 x 4-10

Tried 20 rep squats Joel?
Tell me if that's only great for endurance.

Yea mate they are fantastic to chuck in every now and then 20 rep squats are really a test of endurance, mental strength and muscular strength...I think anyform of squatting will build strength to a degree - of course if your looking at getting "strong strong" then you will need to branch out into rep rages of the 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's etc.