• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on next program

........In saying that reps in the deadlift do seem be working for me as much as I hate reps. Also the deadlifting sin of touch and go reps is still working very well for me at the moment Whatever works I guess.

I have a member of PTC thats in the same boat, but you both pull well over 250kg's. The OP does not.

imo, 5/3/1, not for beginners.... Or anyone that wants to build a big bench.

(yes, yes, yes Freako I know.)

I also don't really like 5/3/1 for similar reasons
It's a great program and it will work very well but there is so much wasted potential there with the slow progression. The body doesn't increase strength in a linear fashion after a while, you make slow progress then fast progress, no progress, little progress, no progress, fast progress etc and I don't think 5/3/1 allows for that it's just a generic program that anyone can follow

Also I like touch and go deadlifts for sets more than 5 reps, the bar stays in your hand for a very long time and generally I'm weaker at the top so it really allows me to overload that part well. Just as long as you're not bouncing the reps or derping the form lol

Not a firm beliver in touch go deads. Doesnt allow for a beginner to learn the setup each rep and activate the associated muscles. Instead your using momentum from the bounce and stretch reflex to complete the set.

I have a member of PTC thats in the same boat, but you both pull well over 250kg's. The OP does not.

imo, 5/3/1, not for beginners.... Or anyone that wants to build a big bench.

(yes, yes, yes Freako I know.)

Yeah good point. Beginners need to start off with the basics. Dead stop deadlift reps to get form down and build a base from that. Then experiment later on.

Also I am pretty sure my already shitty bench went backwards on 531. More volume and more frequency is what I seem to need.

I am interested to know how it worked for the PTC member you mention.

Not enough volume of or intensity for my liking, especially because you "deload" so often.
Also not a fan of max rep deadlifts.
A number of my novice clients came to me running 5/3/1, with stagnate lifts.
As soon as I took them off ad wrote a linear progression program, boom, numbers shot up - and we are talking a 1rm deadlift of 200kg to 285kg in around 7 months.
5/3/1 also gives a beginner to many options for assistance work. They need to be told. Once you leave things up to a novice, things end up going pear shaped in most cases.

Linear progression isn't the be all and end all, but for novices, IMO it's the best route for getting stronger.

Fair enough reasons and most I agree with.

I am interested to know how it worked for the PTC member you mention.

what would you like to know? I've had a number of 5/3/1 and SS lovers start at PTC, one actually started last week. He is now on linear, and shit him self when I said he'd be tripling 100kg in 6 weeks. Current 1rm is 87.5, and has been for a long time.

I was one of the guys running 5/3/1 before I started at PTC... I was doing like 10+ reps of deadlifts at about 180, which was kind of ridiculous now I think about it. Also only benching once per week wasn't the most beneficial.

I found the deload every 4 weeks really wasn't needed either. Just not enough volume or intensity to warrant it. Though I did like the fact I could get a session done inside an hour, instead of the 3 hours it takes me at the moment...

what would you like to know? I've had a number of 5/3/1 and SS lovers start at PTC, one actually started last week. He is now on linear, and shit him self when I said he'd be tripling 100kg in 6 weeks. Current 1rm is 87.5, and has been for a long time.

Did that member do touch and go deads? How much did they improve.

Loz was running ppp for everything.
Bench didn't go anywhere.
Deads gained a bit
Squats were flying.

His best lifts were around 205/135/240

He is now doing ppp squats, currently at 227.5.
Random bench sessions, more high rep lifting GVT. Untested but improving.
5/3/1 deadlifts, now at 265.

He is competing in 6 weeks, so I guess we will see the full results then.

Loz was running ppp for everything.
Bench didn't go anywhere.
Deads gained a bit
Squats were flying.

His best lifts were around 205/135/240

He is now doing ppp squats, currently at 227.5.
Random bench sessions, more high rep lifting GVT. Untested but improving.
5/3/1 deadlifts, now at 265.

He is competing in 6 weeks, so I guess we will see the full results then.

Cool thanks.

GSLP is a good program. Its similar to SS but you do the last set to failure. Also it has no cleans.

the idea is that when you stall and reset, you can continue to make PRs. instead of just doing 3x5 up until where you stalled, you can do 2x5, and 1x8. I like it and It worked well on my bench when I was coming back from some time off.

I dont like 5/3/1 either. not for beginners.

stickman. what do you do when your lifter stalls on linear?

Yeah, I wouldn't say 5/3/1 is the best for a novice or elite lifter.

I enjoy it and lift for enjoyment more than anything else and the only person I'll compete is myself. :)

stickman. what do you do when your lifter stalls on linear?

They generally don't stall.
The way I write my programs all their weights and reps are included. Depending on their abilitys (mental, technical, commitment) their targets will differ.

As the weight gets heavy, I'll reduce their reps so we can peak for a 97-105% effort session. This essentially slightly alters "linear progression" but they do so under watch from a coach.

Thier programs go from 6-12 weeks depending on how new they are to me for obvious reasons.

Yep, that's right.

If you don't have a coach though, it may not be the best approach.

If you stall, knock off 20% and start again.

So a PPP approach for strength gains is what I will do. Work the assistance in to help develop the lifts, but also have some hypertrophy to help with gaining size, I also need to eat more this is my biggest issue i never get enough food in me to get bigger

So a PPP approach for strength gains is what I will do. Work the assistance in to help develop the lifts, but also have some hypertrophy to help with gaining size, I also need to eat more this is my biggest issue i never get enough food in me to get bigger

This is basically what im doing now. Im anorexic still though but slowly getting there. Only 4 weeks into it but it seems to be going fine.

Im thinking

Bench PPP
Close Grip bench 3 x 8
Dips 4 x 8 (weighted)
Incline Hammer strength press 4 x 10
Skull Crushers 4 x 10

Squat PPP
Front Squats 3 x 5
SLDL 3 x 8
Hack Squats 3 x 8
BB Curls 3 x 10
Ab Wheel