• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on next program

pumpedup86

Guys, Just want some quick input into what program i should do next.

ATM i am 70KG

Bench Max 100kg
Squat 115KG
Deadlift 155KG
OHP 67.5KG

Should i continue on the 5/3/1 boring but big path, which is working (but i have to admit 4 workouts a week is tough due to having a busy life out of the gym)

Or because of my working life, move to a full body (PTC beginner style) Program 3 x a week with running on off days to keep up cardio?

Any positive input would be appreciated, just would like others thoughts on the matter

cheers

Did you end up getting your home gym setup?
It sounds like you've swapped between a few programs recently. If what you're doing is working, why not try to keep it up for a bit longer?

It all depends on what you want from training. Do you want to focus on size/bodybuilding or strength/performance, of course everyone wants both. Than again, I am doing PPP strength program and am packing on the pounds faster than any other program I've done before. For the record I have only done the PTC beginner program, a upper/lower body building split I made myself, and now PPP.

I'm not sure what you want, but strength training has equated to size for me so far, so on my own personal experience I would say stay on 531 mate.

G

I do 5/3/1 and do weights on Mon/ Wed/ Fri just do the workouts in order and the deload in one week.

Where can I look at the PPP program?

Do not do 5/3/1. Fuck I hate that program.

If you want to get stronger, and seeing as your posting in the strength forum, I take it you are, just stick to linear progression for now.

Im doing linear progression at the moment, and will squat 235, bench 150, and deadlift 265 easily.

Its simple, it works.

Do not do 5/3/1. Fuck I hate that program.

If you want to get stronger, and seeing as your posting in the strength forum, I take it you are, just stick to linear progression for now.

Im doing linear progression at the moment, and will squat 235, bench 150, and deadlift 265 easily.

Its simple, it works.

Have you have heard of GSLP (Greyskull LP)? It's like a cross between Starting Strength and 5/3/1. I've read the book, it sounds good.

From what i know and seen with myelf and the guys i put it on 531.

Its peaks every 4 weeks then scales back too early with a deload period. I would peak at 10 then scale back instead for beginners to one week of deload. (note i do not think 531 is made for beginners). Hence linear > 531 for beginners.

Also volume. He does state u do not need to do assistance just the main lifts if your in a rush.

Looking at your lifts I'd say sticking to a linear program would be good and easy enough. Did 80kg last week, do 82.5kg this week etc. If you can only do 3 days a week do SS or PTC Beginners program.

On the topic of 531, I think it is a good program if you make some changes to suit you better. What I did was run 2 cycles back to back, no deload. So I would do 6 weeks training, then break. Taking a break every 4 weeks for a program like it is way too often.

Have you have heard of GSLP (Greyskull LP)? It's like a cross between Starting Strength and 5/3/1. I've read the book, it sounds good.

Haven't read it sorry man. But I don't like SS either lol. Only for the fact that SS make complete novices do cleans. Novices don't know how to squat and deadlift yet alone clean. The starting position for the clean is much different to that of a deadlift, novices don't need to be anymore confused than they are.

That said, I get a lot of clients coming in for technique work on cleans because they have no idea, so I guess it's good for me.

Explanation?
Not enough volume of or intensity for my liking, especially because you "deload" so often.
Also not a fan of max rep deadlifts.
A number of my novice clients came to me running 5/3/1, with stagnate lifts.
As soon as I took them off ad wrote a linear progression program, boom, numbers shot up - and we are talking a 1rm deadlift of 200kg to 285kg in around 7 months.
5/3/1 also gives a beginner to many options for assistance work. They need to be told. Once you leave things up to a novice, things end up going pear shaped in most cases.

Linear progression isn't the be all and end all, but for novices, IMO it's the best route for getting stronger.

I did 531 for 8 months and followed it as set out. Didn't get any stronger but because you start so low weights I just kept adding the weight and getting less reps each week.

I have found it has too low volume and for a beginner too much variation on assistance to fuck up.

I think I could run it again and get it to work but would do more volume on main lifts and up the intensity a bit at the start.

In saying that reps in the deadlift do seem be working for me as much as I hate reps. Also the deadlifting sin of touch and go reps is still working very well for me at the moment Whatever works I guess.

Linear progression is two days older than dirt.

I cannot understand someone not using this in a strength training workout.