• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

Thanks again Oliver...

Lol, love the psyching up.

Adam - as per the questions on modern techniques a lot of modern guys are big on conditioning (eg sled pulling and kettlebell work) along with weight training to improve fitness. Another one that creeps up is speed work - using a lower percentage of your max and lifting explosively or using resistance bands.

I was wondering what your take is on these? did you do anything similar? or was rest time rest time?

Ok ; thankyou again Oliver.
I see now what some of this stuff is : we sometimes did 'explosive' reps with lighter weights in our earlier training (although, not with bands ; these didn't exist..). Also, 'Negatives' (heavier-than-normal weights, perhaps as-in the Benchpress, lowering a LARGE weight to the chest, & have your training partner help to lock-out...).
I think Paul Nay has mentioned utilising Sleds etc. in the course of his training ; I've not seen this type-of-thing done 'live'.
Rest time is it.! Perhaps in the order of 10 minutes (or thereabouts...) between sets, particularly when the weights are at the upper-end of your physical & mental capabilities, or close to the end of a competition cycle.
When training at Len Wilson's gym in the mid-1980's, our 'group' often completed a 'mini-comp' on Saturdays (i.e. a full three-lift training session, as per competition day). Took HOURS, however, produced fantastic results.! Similar to a 'mock' day-on-the-platform. Same principle applies to local/backyard/gym-type meets ; GREAT for gauging progress & preparing for the upcoming BIG day on the platform.!
Thanks again Oliver.!

Thanks Markos.@!

It appears that some of the lifters at the Nats may not have been members, thats all Adam, so others were robbed of legitimate WR, we'll leave it for another place.

Hey Adam, just to make these guys feel real good about themselves after your squat comment, please enlighten us as to how shit it truly was.

From my recollections, it was only around 370kg @ 100kg in a single Ply suit, thats terrible Adam, surely its been beaten since you performed it 16 years ago, a shitty lift like that.

I'm pretty sure that is a Record for any Fed in Australia in the 100kg class, even allowing for multiply equipment.

Thank f u c k it wasnt your best lift, BHP wouldve run out of steel

HA HA HA HA..!@!@ Ok ; I 'get-your-point'.!

B.T.W ; sorry about all the previous fonts/colours/sizes. This better..???

Ok - to clarify. You'd recall in the early-to-mid 80's, when at Tarzan & Janes Gym, all of us were pretty weak squatters, myself included. A three-plate lift was considered pretty good (still is.!).
It was after some period of training/lifting/learning/reading/watching/mixing with the top guys (of this period..), it became obvious something HAD to change with my squat. First-ever comp. I lifted in (a qualifier at Len Wilson's gym in Caulfield..), I squatted 200kg, Benched 177.5 (a Victorian Junior Record, at that time) & Dealifted 260kg, all @ 90kg b'weight. It's obvious these numbers simply don't 'stack-up' in terms of achieving a big total. Charlie Coleiro squatted either 260 or 265kg @ 67.5 at this same meet (I was absolutely flabbergasted, as you could well-imagine..). From here, it was the '86 Victorian Titles at the Footscray Institute of Technology, where I saw Rod Sylvia, Vince Simmonetta (& others..) lifting weights COMPLETELY unimaginable to me ; I came away from this meet so 'blown-away' by their lifting, I knew something had to change.
Len showed me some simple mathematics, the sums of which still 'add-up' today. Using the Mens 100kg Bodyweight Class as an example ; the Elite 1 Total (on the old AAPLF Scale...) was 815kg. In 1986, I was about 10 country miles from achieving this, & I couldn't possibly see how it could be done. My own lifting was out-of-balance (weak squat, reasonable bench & deadlift..). Len explained the these totals were quiet 'within-reach' IF extra work was applied to the SQUAT & DEADLIFT, as the combination of these two disciplines SHOULD produce about 80% of a contest-winning total (easy ; if 815kg was Elite 1, approx. 652kg is required i.e. 300kg Sq. + 300kg Deadlift, or thereabouts...). So...I was approaching (but, still so far from.!) a 300kg Dead., however, the Squat DESPERATELY needed help/work. Accordingly, it was STRAIGHT-BACK to the gym for some torturous sessions applied to the lower-extremes. Not only such, but, a new 'way-of-thinking' was also required (we'd done the simple maths ; now the physical effort was required...). All the Top Lifters of the day (& still applies now...) are strong & relatively balanced in the two BIG lifts, these being the Squat & Deadlift (remember, there was no Single-Lift Competitions in these days ; it was all-about making a balanced & BIG Total...).
So....we ALL worked hard to 'bring-up' the weaker lifts (not as important in Benchpress, as this discipline only contributes approx. 20% to the Total...). Over the course of approx. 5 years, & two Weight Divisions, my own lifting finally became more equal & balanced (approx. 3.5-times bodyweight in the Squat & Deadlift & approx. 2.5-times in the Benchpress). Ed Coan was doing approx. 4.5 times b'weight in the Squat, in the same weight-division as mine, so, you can well-imagine where my main source of inspiration came from.!
As you've oft-time preached, measured progress, realistic goals & PATIENCE are key-factors when attempting to bring-up those weaker lifts.!
P.S. Please let me know if this font/style/size is more legible/readable.!

Thanks for coming here, Adam. It's a great privilege for us to be able to pick your brain. :)

When you needed to bring up your "weak" squat, did you do all those rack works on the same day as normal squat, or did you end up doing squat-related exercises twice a week?

And yes that's more legible.

Adam, I often tell my lifters

Squat for a total then deadlift to win, lay on a bench for a rest in between.

Our Saturday sessions are now like mini comps, its the only times I allow lifters to go for a 1RM, we have no time and room restraints

'Dancelot'..?? Shouldn't that be 'Lift-a-Lot'..??? HA HA HA..!!!

Thanks for coming here, Adam. It's a great privilege for us to be able to pick your brain. :)

When you needed to bring up your "weak" squat, did you do all those rack works on the same day as normal squat, or did you end up doing squat-related exercises twice a week?

And yes that's more legible.

HA HA HA..!! Not sure about the 'privilege' bit..!! Thanks anyway..!!

Hmmmm...can't recall the exact schedule for 'Rack Work'....I think we may have done our usual/normal Deep-Knee Bends (read ; squats :p) before the Rack Work, however....memory's a bit hazy on this exact point. Sorry :(.

Can confirm, though, that these were BRUTAL sessions. I was around the 23-24 years-of-age, just out of the juniors, & the body/mind could cope (but, only JUST, I reckon..!! :)). Would have NO HOPE of following this type of schedule nowadays. I read, somewhere, years ago, an article written by the great Mike Bridges (please google if you're unaware of who he is/lifting performances, records etc.). In amongst his writings, he echoed these thoughts. In one's younger years, the body & mind can endure months of cruel torture in the gym ; just becomes anti-productive in later years (injuries etc.). As I may have previously mentioned, trick-is to balance on the 'thin line' between bringing the mind & body to a PEAK rather than going too-far, leading to a well-known condition known as being OVERTRAINED. Try out different training routines, mixing-up the days, perhaps even body-parts on the same (or different....) sessions. Personally, as per most well-used (read : tried-&-tested..) weight-training programs, I (& most other lifters, male & female..) subscribed to the 'Three-Days/Week' Legs (Lower-Body), Benchpress (Upper-Body/Pressing etc) & Back (Pulling/Curling etc.) routine almost 100% of the year. Worked GREAT for us, & I'm sure will-do for you.!
Three days/week should suffice, however, you can add a fourth (if really needed). Way early, in the beginning (prior to powerlifting competition..), our little training group would sometimes simply hold an 'impromptu' deadlift mini-comp./session on Friday afternoons (usually 5-rep. sets, with max. weight..). Nice/fun way to finish the week, nothing overtly serious.! If you're with a small group, try it out.!

Fellas, I'd like Adam Coe to fly out on Australia Day weekend to MC the first ProRaw show.

If I organized a seminar by Adam, say $20 a head, all proceeds to him to cover costs, would you guys come?

It would be at the Frankston Football Club on an evening, maybe Friday night.

A question and answer thing, picking the brains of the greatest powerlifter Australia has produced, although Adam will tell you Laurie Butler holds that mantle...both humble men.

Let me know if you guys think its a good idea and whether you would come?

Adam flew out for our Nats and paid for it all out of his own pocket. This is a lifters Fed, we'll do things a little differently.

Pubs and Strippers next door for afterwards lol

Thanks Adam. That sounds so... simple :) and simple is what works best, I believe.

Markos, I'm definitely coming to that seminar. Pubs and strippers next door is a very fine bonus :p

Fellas, I'd like Adam Coe to fly out on Australia Day weekend to MC the first ProRaw show.

If I organized a seminar by Adam, say $20 a head, all proceeds to him to cover costs, would you guys come?

A question and answer thing, picking the brains of the greatest powerlifter Australia has produced, although Adam will tell you Laurie Butler holds that mantle...both humble men.

Adam flew out for our Nats and paid for it all out of his own pocket. This is a lifters Fed, we'll do things a little differently.

I would go.

In our sport, legends are not really taken care of. Guys like Adam, Laurie, Bear, Lennie, Barry, Rod, Vince etc just fall by the wayside. Imagine if we treated AFL and Cricket stars like that.

We have much to learn from these guys.

I'm going to do my best to make these guys accessible to more powerlifters.

I'm going to have a crack at maybe a super seminar with 4 or 5 guys answering questions for a few hours.

Obviously, all proceeds will go to the "stars", we can use my gym which has ample room AND equipment, so technique can be discussed and demonstrated.

Stay tuned, and let me know if you're keen. I dont think anyone has ever done anything like this for our Elite lifters of yesteryear, before multi ply equipment

That sounds amazing markos, and although I'm just getting into it, I'd certainly make the effort to come down to hear from these legends.

As I may have previously mentioned, trick-is to balance on the 'thin line' between bringing the mind & body to a PEAK rather than going too-far, leading to a well-known condition known as being OVERTRAINED. Try out different training routines, mixing-up the days, perhaps even body-parts on the same (or different....) sessions. Personally, as per most well-used (read : tried-&-tested..) weight-training programs, I (& most other lifters, male & female..) subscribed to the 'Three-Days/Week' Legs (Lower-Body), Benchpress (Upper-Body/Pressing etc) & Back (Pulling/Curling etc.) routine almost 100% of the year. Worked GREAT for us, & I'm sure will-do for you.!

Just making sure I understand this:

So when you were on the verge of over-training you would keep lifting heavy but change up your routine as opposed to doing the same routine but dropping the weight and building back up?

I'd go, so long as we have a date a couple weeks in advance in case I need to swap a shift at work. Might be able to convince a mate or two to come along as well.

I'm liking what ProRaw is becoming, any chance I can have member number 56 if I pay up now lol?

Everybody's gotta start-out somewhere

Another jem from Adam...I remember my first comp...there were guys OPENING thier BENCH on my FINAL SQUAT attempt (260kg) I was like WTF how am I ever going compete against that...there was also another chap that came and shook my hand after the final squat round and said "nice raw squatting you'll do 400 in equipment one day"...I actually laughed in his face...now from setting small achievable goals I'm around 40kgs off that number and aim to reach it in mid 2012...

....now if I had have taken the easy way out and said "well they're benching what I'm squatting so I'm not going to compete until I can lift x" where would I be today? Still training towards lifting x...nothing beats lifting in a competition especially your first...and nothing will progress your lifting quicker than lifting in a competition...at the end of the day no one cares if you're a SHW squatting 200kg's or a 50kg ladyboy like TotalStrength deadlifting 7 x bodyweight, everyone is there for the same reason, to show and prove to ourselves that the hard work in the gym has paid off...its a bonus and great fun to do it with the brethern that comes along with this niche sport.

I guess amongst that ramble I'm echoing what Adam said..."everybody's gotta start somewhere"....no matter where you start you'll get the same amount of support and respect as the seasoned veterans.

Train smart, be safe, dont die wondering, set yourself ACHIEVABLE goals and of course SFW!

Last edited:
Top thread, i can relate with the 10 minute rests when your utterly smashing yourself
Im in for the seminar

Id also attend the pubs and strippers afterwards.

Im in for this too, not only for the strippers but the looks of patrons/bouncers when 50 powerlifter types walk in all at once haha