• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

welcome to ausbb Mr. Coe, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

you probably don't even know me but thanks for being the public announcer at all the WA comps, you do a great job pumping up the lifters and getting the crowd involved, i say this on behalf of all the WA lifters, we all really appreciate your work. thanks!

any chance of you coming to the Pit and showing us a thing or two?

Thank you for sharing this with us Adam, you're an inspiration. It puts into perspective the issue of intensity. If you really put in work on your main lifts, you really shouldn't have enough energy to do a whole stack of fluff excersises, something I've been guilty of a few times. Stick the big compounds, make them heavy and do a few choice accessory excersises then get out and go recover.

Speaking of which, did you employ any recovery techniques at all apart fom eating a small mountain of food? I suspect getting under the kind of weight you where handling would leave you pretty beat.

Glad you like the sig.

Cheers,

-Mitch.

Kool bananas ; thankyou Mitch.!
Couldn't improve upon your previous comment(s) re : training intensity. Perfect. I could tell a few funny stories 'bout our early (1980's) training which, although I would NEVER be able to repeat (the training intensity, that is...) nowadays, was INCREDIBLY beneficial in our 'younger' years.
Re ; food. Pretty much YES, a 'small mountain' of food, as you've described. Never had a huge appetite, however, as per the old saying ' everything in moderation'. Moderate caloric intake seems to work best for all ; obviously, a different regime if attempting to lose kilos i.e. making weight for that next division DOWN from your previous/comfortable weight class (referring to Weight Divisions here...).
'Secret Recovery Techniques'.? YEP, ALWAYS have the weekend OFF.! That's about the only 'secret' I can suggest/was previously utilised by myself (& other training companions). NEVER train on Saturday (or Sunday..) unless you're not able to 'hit-the-weights' during the week. Easy.!

Those basic workouts sound great Adam. A few other questions:

- I noticed that you take a very narrow bench grip. Why is this?
- Whats your opinion on modern techniques such as speed work and conditioning?
- Tips for a big bench?
- Tips for lasting in the iron game?

And any funny stories you might have from the old days :p

lol.......not by much

I should add. The reason I introduced Saturday training was because I noticed how poor lifters did at this time.

It just happens to be the same time of day comps are run.

Big Nick and Max are examples of this.

Alen now seems to hit a PB every Saturday. He works a tough manual job, Saturdays have him fresher.

welcome to ausbb Mr. Coe, thanks for sharing your thoughts. All good ; THANKYOU for allowing me the time to read/update/comment.!

you probably don't even know me but thanks for being the public announcer at all the WA comps, you do a great job pumping up the lifters and getting the crowd involved, i say this on behalf of all the WA lifters, we all really appreciate your work. thanks! No, THANKYOU.! Powerlifting (& other related sports i.e. Weightlifting etc.) are funny-old things, really. As they are (unfortunately..) slow-moving (completely unlike A.F.L Football, Basketball etc., which move at lightning pace..). When he was alive, Ray Rigby was a great announcer. As he spent most of his later (non-competitive) years attending all the I.P.F World Powerlifting Titles, when he MC'd the local Powerlifting Competitions, he was actually able to compare lifts between those lifting (on the day..) to whatever had previously been lifted at the higher-level I.P.F Meets. I found this absolutely incredible.!

any chance of you coming to the Pit and showing us a thing or two? You're right, I really SHOULD make the effort. Henry has mentioned the possibility of a 'mini-seminar' (& associated trips-down-memory-lane) which could include old-time guys (& girls...) from the 70's & 80's. Paul Jordan & myself are two who would most CERTAINLY be involved ; whenever you're down at the 'Pit', perhaps run this by Henry & see what he reckons.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those basic workouts sound great Adam. A few other questions:

- I noticed that you take a very narrow bench grip. Why is this?
- Whats your opinion on modern techniques such as speed work and conditioning?
- Tips for a big bench?
- Tips for lasting in the iron game?

And any funny stories you might have from the old days :p

Thanks again Oliver.!

Those pics. of my close-grip benchpressing were taken in 1989 at the Oceania Championships in Ballarat. I was (at this time...) utilising a close-grip, as I found it more comfortable, & could handle bigger weights etc. Rod Sylvia (Australia's Greatest-Ever Benchpresser 'til Ange Galati arrived...) advised me sometime after this meet to widen my grip, which I subsequently did, &, with some minor modifications to training, eventually managed to eclipse Rod's own All-Time Biggest Benchpress @ 100kg Bodyweight. Perhaps Rod should NEVER had given me this advice..!@!@ HA HA HA..!! :p

'Modern' Techniques such as WHICH..???? Oliver, just go to the gym & move S***LOADS of iron. THAT'S what works.!

Tips for a BIG Bench.? S***LOADS of Benchpressing.! We also utilised Rack-Work (Partial Presses etc.) with good effect in the 80's, however, PLEASE NOTE ; Oliver, you will only 'get-good' at ANY particular exercise i.e. Benchpressing TO WHICHEVER GENETIC EXTENT YOU HAVE BEEN GIFTED WITH.
What I mean by this is : using Ed Coan as a good example, his strength lies with a phenomenal Squat & Deadlift (the combination of which should give approx. 80% towards a contest-winning Total..). Now, Ed's Benchpress is STRONG-AS, however, as he's said in the past, it ain't his strongest lift. Ed, as with most top-level athletes have WORKED WITH WHAT THEY'VE GOT, & MADE THE MOST OF IT. Obviously, we can all improve various aspects of/different lifts, however, unfortunately, if you haven't got the 'Genetic Gift' in any particular area i.e. Benchpressing, it just isn't going to happen. If you, or any other lifter you have an affinity with, intends lifting competitively (or socially, for that matter...), just do the VERY BEST you can.! It's really only at the very top of Elite Powerlifting Competition that being balanced (& strong..) in all three lifts becomes vitally important. If you're chasing a BIG Bench, just keep 'plugging-away' & stay focused on REALISTIC goals in your training & upcoming competitions.!

Tips for longevity in the 'Iron Game'.? Please refer to my previous comments re : realistic goals etc. Personally, I was NEVER suited to the sport of Powerlifting, however, utilising Ed Coan as a Role Model, decided to leave NO-STONE-UNTURNED in my quest to break Ray Rigby's Biggest-Ever Total Record (950ks @ Superheavy). This goal I finally achieved in November of 1993 & again at the C.A.P.O National Titles in 1994. However, as you're probably aware, this came at a rather large cost i.e. persistent injuries finally leading up to the career-ending ankle/leg/quadricep breakage etc. at the C.A.P.O Nationals in Darwin, 1998.
As previous, stay focused & concentrate on ACHIEVABLE weights/lifts.!

I'll add a few funny stories as time progresses ; gotta head-off now.!

I think I've replied.?

welcome to ausbb Mr. Coe, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

you probably don't even know me but thanks for being the public announcer at all the WA comps, you do a great job pumping up the lifters and getting the crowd involved, i say this on behalf of all the WA lifters, we all really appreciate your work. thanks!

any chance of you coming to the Pit and showing us a thing or two?
If I'm correctly using this site, I think I've previously added my thoughts/comments.? Please let me know if this isn't the case.!

Kool bananas ; thankyou Mitch.!

'Secret Recovery Techniques'.? YEP, ALWAYS have the weekend OFF.! That's about the only 'secret' I can suggest/was previously utilised by myself (& other training companions). NEVER train on Saturday (or Sunday..) unless you're not able to 'hit-the-weights' during the week. Easy.!

Thanks Adam for the reply. Seems like the old time lifters trained less than most today do, but went in and got the job done and got out. A style of training I like.

One more question. What tips would you give for bringing up a lagging lift? Squat, Bench or Deadlift. Obviously focus on the lift and hammer the holy hell out of it, but did you ever find a particular assistance excersize improved either of the 3 lifts the "most"?

Thanks heaps and it was great to meet you at the CAPO Nationals just gone, though you probably don't remember being such a hectic weekend. I was one of the 3 NT lifters....the one that DIDN'T get a World Record :p

-Mitch.

Dont think the others did either, not registered according to the CAPO website.

If that is the case, it was the biggest f u c k u p of all time

Say again..???

Hey Markos ; what's this comment..????? Me no understand..??????

Cheers Mitch.!

Thanks Adam for the reply. Seems like the old time lifters trained less than most today do, but went in and got the job done and got out. A style of training I like.

One more question. What tips would you give for bringing up a lagging lift? Squat, Bench or Deadlift. Obviously focus on the lift and hammer the holy hell out of it, but did you ever find a particular assistance excersize improved either of the 3 lifts the "most"?

Thanks heaps and it was great to meet you at the CAPO Nationals just gone, though you probably don't remember being such a hectic weekend. I was one of the 3 NT lifters....the one that DIDN'T get a World Record :p

-Mitch.

Thanks again Mitch ; you're absolutely correct with your comment(s) : Seems like the old time lifters trained less than most today do, but went in and got the job done and got out. A style of training I like

In my/our younger days (back in the early part of this century...:p) we went COMPLETELY NUTS in the gym. Some of those sessions @ Len Wilson's establishment in the mid-1980's were just sick. Guys throwing-up, bleeding from the nose, near punch-ups between friends (?@$#!) & training partners. Whilst I would NEVER suggest nor endorse this type of training, it certainly produced results.!

Your question as to :
What tips would you give for bringing up a lagging lift? can be answered as per my previous comments re : Partials & Rack Work (can explain if you're unaware of these terms/training etc.?). Personally, my squat was (& still is...) my weakest lift. I have completely unsuitable genetics/leverages for this discipline, & have a history of poor competitive lifts in this area. Len Wilson (my coach/mentor in the 1980's ; a FANTASTIC man...) put me in the Power Rack to improve this lift. The sessions we completed then (& there...) were some of the most torturous, horrendous & least-loved of my entire career, however, the results produced were unsurpassed. Can go into more detail @ the next C.A.P.O National Titles, if need-be. Partial Movements/Rack Work is KING when applied to weak or lagging lifts.!

Thanks again for your thoughts/reply.!

It appears that some of the lifters at the Nats may not have been members, thats all Adam, so others were robbed of legitimate WR, we'll leave it for another place.

Hey Adam, just to make these guys feel real good about themselves after your squat comment, please enlighten us as to how shit it truly was.

From my recollections, it was only around 370kg @ 100kg in a single Ply suit, thats terrible Adam, surely its been beaten since you performed it 16 years ago, a shitty lift like that.

I'm pretty sure that is a Record for any Fed in Australia in the 100kg class, even allowing for multiply equipment.

Thank f u c k it wasnt your best lift, BHP wouldve run out of steel

They mentioned it. That's a damn shame.

Thanks again for your reply Adam. I've been implementing rack work into my training for the past 5 weeks now and do believe it has made a significant difference, especially with weight handled. Being able to overload what you generally do and adapt to the weight really does make a difference to how you lift and the confidence in yourself to lift a heavier weight. If you've done it before, you'll do it again. Even if it only was a partial.

-Mitch.

The shame is that Max set a WR deadlift that he didnt claim, and he has no interest in claiming it now.

Rack work is awesome. We do pin squats, rack pulls and pin presses, I think they are invaluable

Lol, love the psyching up.

Adam - as per the questions on modern techniques a lot of modern guys are big on conditioning (eg sled pulling and kettlebell work) along with weight training to improve fitness. Another one that creeps up is speed work - using a lower percentage of your max and lifting explosively or using resistance bands.

I was wondering what your take is on these? did you do anything similar? or was rest time rest time?

This you Nathan.?

Hi Adam...and welcome aboard...I'm humbled to be praised by a pioneer and great such as yourself..thankyou...I'm 32 and have been pulling since July 08

Like you have indicated, I also feel that the key to success is in staying injury free and being patient. I need to learn a little more of the latter as it has cost me kg's on my total several times but this wont happen again!

Thankyou Nathan (if this is you.?). At 32, I reckon you'd be at about your physical peak, so....bigger lifting should naturally follow. Last 100+kg lifter doing numbers such as yours was probably Daniel Cann from sunny Q.L.D. It'd be GREAT to see another around the high-800's, or, BETTER-STILL, 900+kg Total.
Like you, I made some dumb mistakes earlier on, however, we all learn as time progresses. It's a WONDERFUL sport (if not a bit dangerous.!) & I wish you the very best in your journey.
Cheers.!!

Overload ; YES..!!!

They mentioned it. That's a damn shame.

Thanks again for your reply Adam. I've been implementing rack work into my training for the past 5 weeks now and do believe it has made a significant difference, especially with weight handled. Being able to overload what you generally do and adapt to the weight really does make a difference to how you lift and the confidence in yourself to lift a heavier weight. If you've done it before, you'll do it again. Even if it only was a partial.

-Mitch.

Thankyou INDEED Mitch. Your word/phrase 'OVERLOAD' is EXACTLY it.! I always felt (& still do...) that the key to a successful day on the platform is the correct amount of OVERLOAD leading-up to the 'big day'. Rack/Pin Work is DEFINITELY a worthwhile method of overloading the body FOR SHORT PERIODS during your training cycle.
Following the 1986 Victorian State Powerlifting Titles (my first State-Level Competition ; an ABSOLUTE eye-opener.!), Len Wilson suggested (enforced.!) a period of Rack-Work, in order to bring-up my lagging squat. I was around the 200kg-mark @ 90kg bodyweight. Over the course of approx. 2 months, we ABSOLUTELY HAMMERED the squat in the Power-Rack, & I remember to this day the first time we attempted a Partial Lock-Out (Top Position) with (what was at the time...) Laurie Butler's Australian Record Squat of 322.5kg's. I recall lifting the weight out of the pins, & nearly killing myself trying to lock-out this weight. I remember looking at Len with complete astonishment, trying to figure-out how the H**L Laurie must've squatted this monstrous poundage.! Mind-blowing at the time ; funny to look-back on.!
Great lifting Mitch.!