• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

Grant%20Clemsha%20Scan%202.jpg

Projections etc...

Thanks for the encouragement re. huge totals.

Adam, I was wondering if the projections in the routine you outlined could be used when competing raw (ie. would 5x5 of 240 on your last week of 5 reps be enough to get you to 300 in the coming weeks without a suit)? Also how's that essay coming along?

Also how much should you be able to get (ideally) from single ply suits in each of the three lifts? Anyone else keen to share how much they get out of their suits?

The 5 x 5 on 240kg SHOULD be good-enough to close-out your final week of 5 repetitions (for a max. lift of 300kg's, all-things-being-equal....i.e. injury-free training etc.). HOWEVER, as previous, this program is COMPLETELY OPEN to adjustment re : personal strengths/goals etc. Raw lifting is (obviously...) different to equipped ; different jumps (weekly increases..) may need to be applied. Have a 'play' with the figures, see how it goes, change anything if necessary.

HA HA HA..!@!@ Yes, the 'ESSAY'. Will get-there eventually.!

The old Single-Ply suits we wore during our careers probably added 20kg to the squat, maybe 10kg in the bench (no deadlift suits existed in the 80's/90's, or, if they did, we didn't utilise 'em....). Best-ever squatting I did (in training...) was a double on 345kg's, suit straps down. I figured a max. single of 355-360kg's, knee-wraps only. My Australian Record Squat of 370kg's was with an old Single-Ply 'Elite' Squat Suit in 1994, so, it can be assumed the suit added approx. 15 (or thereabouts...) kilos.
My best-ever benchpress (Raw...) was a 237.5kg, at a demonstration event @ World Health & Fitness, 1995. On that day, three guys went-over 500lb's (227.5kg..) raw, for, what I believe to be, one of the All-Time Great Benchpressing Competitions in Western Australian/Australian History. My Australian Record Benchpress EQUIPPED was a 245kg effort, also at the 1994 C.A.P.O National Titles, in 1994. Again, it can be seen the equipment we utilised back-then was of minimal benefit, however, was considered INCREDIBLE back-then.! :)

4x 180kg press after cleaning it?

insane, i love it

And heres me thinking a 300lb military press was an end goal

300lb Military Press...FANTASTIC.!

4x 180kg press after cleaning it?

insane, i love it

And heres me thinking a 300lb military press was an end goal

300lb's approx. = 135kg's (approx.)

To be fair to all, Grant Clemesha certainly WASN'T your 'average' athlete. And....to be fair to YOU, a 135kg Military Press certainly ISN'T an 'average' lift, it's a B****Y GREAT lift.!

Anybody at all Overhead-Pressing 135kg is doing FANTASTIC ; don't ever think it's 'sub-standard' or similar. As Nathan has posted-previously on this forum, just 'march-to-the-beat-of-your-own-drum'. ANY ONE OF US would be 'MORE-THAN-HAPPY' with a 135kg Military Press.!

GO FOR IT..!@!@ :)

You must have missed mine......

Max saw it.

Pretty average effort for a guy weighing 110kg at the time anyway.

Would have been around May/June this year I think, few weeks before I went to Europe.

It would be in my journal I'm sure.

Posted in on May 4th this year.

I did it on a saturday morning so must have been saturday 1 May.

180kg MP for reps is one super strong human being in anyone's language.

Love reading your posts Adam, Can't beat the insights of a champion.

Cheers Shane.!

180kg MP for reps is one super strong human being in anyone's language.

Love reading your posts Adam, Can't beat the insights of a champion.

Cheers Shane, THANKYOU.!

As with most legendary lifts/feats-of-strength, ya really NEED to have been there.!

Laurie's final attempt with a 360kg Sq., 90kg bodyweight, 1989 Victorian State Titles ; Dino Toci's final deadlift, 385kg @ 110, 1988 National Titles, Homebush, Sydney ; Charlie's 285kg Squat, 67.5kg Bodyweight, 1986 Victorian Titles, Footscray.

The list goes ON-&-ON..!!

In any case, best-of-luck with your training/lifting etc.! :)

Adam and Steve, I (we) have a question for you :).

Its in reguards to shoulder health and the bench press.
There has been quite a lot of discussion on this of late, and I would like to know a few things.

1- How wide do you bench? Adam it has been noted that you moved your grip out wider after the pictures in your profile were taken.

2- Do you always bench the same width, or do you go wider around competition time?

3- Have you had any shoulder issues?

I bench wide (index on the rings) but I have massively long arms. I can see how it could put extra stress on the shoulder.
I had a dull ache inside my shoulders a few weeks ago. I put it down to lots of heavy (for me :D) benches, lots of MP's and lots of chins. I stopped MP, and upped my fish oil by 1.5g and have had no issues since.

Now Im not "pro wide" or "pro close", each to their own. But I would like to know, in your opinion, is wide really that bad??

Cheers fellas :)

You should also explain whether you are training to get stronger or to lift more weight.

There is a huge difference, huge.

Benchpress etc....

Adam and Steve, I (we) have a question for you :).

Its in reguards to shoulder health and the bench press.
There has been quite a lot of discussion on this of late, and I would like to know a few things.

1- How wide do you bench? Adam it has been noted that you moved your grip out wider after the pictures in your profile were taken.

2- Do you always bench the same width, or do you go wider around competition time?

I bench wide (index on the rings) but I have massively long arms. I can see how it could put extra stress on the shoulder.
I had a dull ache inside my shoulders a few weeks ago. I put it down to lots of heavy (for me :D) benches, lots of MP's and lots of chins. I stopped MP, and upped my fish oil by 1.5g and have had no issues since.

Now Im not "pro wide" or "pro close", each to their own. But I would like to know, in your opinion, is wide really that bad??

Cheers fellas :)

Ok ; please refer answers as below....

Ok ; please refer my other post regarding benchpress grip-width (advice from Rod Sylvia etc...). Bottom-Line with Benchpress Grip, Squat & Deadlift Stance etc. is PERSONAL PREFERENCE. Try different techniques/widths/stances ; it's simply 'trial-&-error'. The pictures of myself benchpressing were taken mid-to-late 1989 ; I moved my grip outwards sometime soon after, with MUCH better results. Though....please 'bear-in-mind' these results may NOT have been favourable ; again, try out different methodology in your own training.

Same width (for competitive purposes...) ; can 'play-around' with different grip widths during training. For example, Close-Grip Benchpresses can be quite beneficial for 'lagging' tricep strength. Wide-Grip Benching may possibly be utilised for Pec. Strength. Somewhere in the 'middle' should be ideal.!

Absolutely.! My shoulders have been a 'sore-point' (pardon the pun...:p) for years. Rotator Cuff tears in particular. Shoulders have a rather unusual (read : LARGE..) range of movement, &, unfortunately, tend to suffer under increased workloads/upper-body weight-training etc. In later (1992 onwards...) years, I dropped shoulder exercises COMPLETELY from my own training, although, such measures should be considered carefully before implementation. Part of a strong benchpress (the middle-section..) requires powerful shoulder/deltoid development, so....try to train shoulders on a consistent basis UNLESS injury prevents.! :)

Adammmm,

If you could go back and tell your younger self (when you started lifting) anything, both in the weight room and in life, what advice would you give them?

Thanks again Oliver...

Adammmm,

If you could go back and tell your younger self (when you started lifting) anything, both in the weight room and in life, what advice would you give them?

Ok, SO SORRY for late, LATE reply Oliver.!

Didn't Forrest Gump say something like 'Life is like a box of chocolates....'.?

But, seriously.....

Unfortunately, powerlifting (like most other high-risk sports...) can be a dangerous pursuit. My own career was cut-short by PREVENTABLE injuries & oft-times overly-heavy training lifts. It's a VERY fine-line between maximising training intensity & injury ; I learnt the HARD way when things were taken to the extreme on one-too-many occasions.

Train SMART, avoid injuries & ALWAYS lift within your OWN capabilities. Nathan summed-it-up perfectly elsewhere on this forum by saying 'march-to-the-beat-of-your-own-drum'. It's near-on impossible not to find inspiration/want to follow the lifts of true champions, however, we need to understand that it's not always going to be possible to emulate Ed Coan's success on the platform, if you 'get-my-meaning'. As I've often mentioned, it's the participation, NOT the ultimate gut-busting, record-breaking lifting we're looking-for in the sport of powerlifting. Many have tried, however, fewer have succeeded in breaking All-Time Records in the history of domestic & international powerlifting competition ; we all watch (with some interest...) the success & progression of Gregg Gordon. It would appear he's well-&-truly on the way with his realising his own goals & dreams, HOWEVER, Gregg will be one of an elite few in his chosen sport ; concentrate on your OWN lifting, train SMART (& within your OWN limits..), never be afraid to experiment & set sensible goals. Encourage your colleagues, learn from their experiences & AVOID injury wherever/whenever humanly possible.! :)

Many have tried, however, fewer have succeeded in breaking All-Time Records in the history of domestic & international powerlifting competition ; we all watch (with some interest...) the success & progression of Gregg Gordon. It would appear he's well-&-truly on the way with his realising his own goals & dreams, HOWEVER, Gregg will be one of an elite few in his chosen sport ; concentrate on your OWN lifting, train SMART (& within your OWN limits..), never be afraid to experiment & set sensible goals. Encourage your colleagues, learn from their experiences & AVOID injury wherever/whenever humanly possible.! :)

Greggs also the ugliest man ive ever blown :D

Last edited by a moderator: