• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

About becoming a personal trainer

Somewhat related to this topic.

I was made aware of a PT job becoming available, one that I reckon could be one of the best around. Its not your typical PT.

Can you expand on what the job would involve? No need for naming anyone, just curious as I am a pretty good writer so would be interested in how the two are combined (especially with travel). Might be something I look into in the future.

Here's a good article on PTs from a client's point of view. More of a "don't" list. To me this stuff seems obvious, it all comes down to the first word in our job title: personal. But apparently it's not obvious to all.

Here's a good article on PTs from a client's point of view. More of a "don't" list. To me this stuff seems obvious, it all comes down to the first word in our job title: personal. But apparently it's not obvious to all.

While some of it is genuine advice some of it also seems to be justification for being lazy and out of shape.

The lose the tude part is also a bit of a backhand - sounds like the writer should watch their own attitude, also.

Not really a justification, just a recognition of reality.

If everyone was super-motivated and fit and knew all about training to begin with, they wouldn't need anyone to train them.

A trainer or coach is like a taxi driver. The driver figures out where the person is now and where they want to go, and finds the safest and quickest route there. The difference is that in this journey, the customer has to peddle :D

Part of where they are is their current mental and physical fitness. So you start there, and build it up. The writer's probably experienced trainers who start him where they are, rather than where he actually is. This leads to injury and general disappointment.

He's had 8 trainers in 3 years, and only changed because the old ones weren't available. So we have to wonder, why didn't they last in the industry? Was it because they were brilliant and wonderful and everyone else was crap? Probably not. Most likely, they just sucked badly.

I understand what you are saying and agree (starting at their level and so on). But at the same time, having had 8 trainers in 3 years with multiple months off in between, I wouldn't be putting it all on the trainers. At least, I wouldn't expect that all 8 of them were completely useless. Especially if they are looking to go back to their previous trainer.

Perhaps this is my inexperience / young bullheaded attitude talking, though. I will freely admit that the little experience I do have has not endeared me to those with little work ethic.

Then you'd best not become a trainer. Because you will meet a LOT of people without a strong work ethic. But bear in mind it's not either/or, it's not that either they're a psycho superathlete or they're a lazy useless bugger. Most people are in between, not super-motivated but can be more motivated with some encouragement. Like I said way earlier, there I was doing Tabata thrusters, I said, "I can't go on," and Markos just quietly said, "no, keep going." So I kept going.

You think of yourself as well-motivated, but I guarantee you that if I trained you, I could put you through a workout where at some point you would genuinely want to give up, and would give up if I let you. This would be something far short of injury. Does that mean you're a lazy wuss? Of course not. You're human. Should you be abused for that? No.

Likewise, I guarantee you that at some point in your life you will stop training, and not just because of injury. Other things in your life will distract you, be more important to you. You're human. Should you be abused for that? No.

No abuse necessary, just "welcome back, in this workout what we'll do is -" and away we go. It's the trainer's job to structure workouts and progression in such a way that it'll motivate people. Of course you can't motivate everyone, but you can get more people moving than someone who just smashes everyone in their first session.

One virtue of strength training, for example, is that it gives the person an obvious progression. If I just go on the treadmill for a bit today, then when I go tomorrow I may actually be fitter - but it's not obvious or clear. But if I lift 20kg 6 times today, and 25kg 6 times or 20kg 8 times tomorrow, it's clear that I'm doing more. This progress is very motivational to people, they feel good.

Doesn't mean cardio's not good for them (depends on their goals), just that they do need something which shows obvious and tangible progress to help motivate them.

That's just one example.

Last edited:
At the gym i usually train at they've recently hired a PT whose noticably overweight, i dont know who would get motivated by a blob with their guts hanging over there oversized tshirt... i actually find the whole situation quite offensive

Then you'd best not become a trainer. Because you will meet a LOT of people without a strong work ethic. But bear in mind it's not either/or, it's not that either they're a psycho superathlete or they're a lazy useless bugger. Most people are in between, not super-motivated but can be more motivated with some encouragement. Like I said way earlier, there I was doing Tabata thrusters, I said, "I can't go on," and Markos just quietly said, "no, keep going." So I kept going.

I do not aspire to be a PT for the general population. My goal is and always has been to work in a strength & conditioning coaching capacity with athletes.

Having said that, I realise that the vast majority of people are the 'in between' you speak about. It is not these people I am referring to with my little work ethic comment.

You think of yourself as well-motivated, but I guarantee you that if I trained you, I could put you through a workout where at some point you would genuinely want to give up, and would give up if I let you. This would be something far short of injury. Does that mean you're a lazy wuss? Of course not. You're human. Should you be abused for that? No.

I never mentioned anything about abuse, could you clarify what you mean by this?

Likewise, I guarantee you that at some point in your life you will stop training, and not just because of injury. Other things in your life will distract you, be more important to you. You're human. Should you be abused for that? No.

No abuse necessary, just "welcome back, in this workout what we'll do is -" and away we go. It's the trainer's job to structure workouts and progression in such a way that it'll motivate people. Of course you can't motivate everyone, but you can get more people moving than someone who just smashes everyone in their first session.

I have trained with different levels of commitment and focus my whole life thus far. When I didn't have access to a gym I got a job and built one at home. Other aspects of life will always be a factor, of course, but I doubt I will let them totally sideline my training completely.

Again you mention abuse, I will wait for your comment on what you meant by this.

I also am not referring to this 'life getting in the way' aspect when I speak of work ethic. Of course different people will have different priorities, I have no issue with this - live and let live. I am specifically referencing those who fail to put the effort in WHEN training. The rest of their life is on them, but if they ask you to help them achieve certain goals and can't put in some effort then I fail to see why we are wasting each others time.

I would just like to quickly say that while some, or a lot, of this may seem combative I do not intend for it to come across that way. I am genuinely interested in hearing your point of view and appreciate the time you have put into this thread.

At the gym i usually train at they've recently hired a PT whose noticably overweight, i dont know who would get motivated by a blob with their guts hanging over there oversized tshirt... i actually find the whole situation quite offensive
For all you know that blob once represented Australia in hammer throw or 1500m or rugby. Should Kev Sheedy's team have ignored him because he was fat?

Don't look at the trainer to judge their abilities, look at the trainer's clients. And talk to them.
moons said:
I never mentioned anything about abuse, could you clarify what you mean by this?
You're scornful of those with "little work ethic."
moons said:
I am specifically referencing those who fail to put the effort in WHEN training. The rest of their life is on them, but if they ask you to help them achieve certain goals and can't put in some effort then I fail to see why we are wasting each others time.
Again, part of this is the trainer. Many trainers are not good motivators. A few are not willing to be motivated, and they'll do things like use the trainer's condition as an excuse. A trainer can encourage, or simply demand, or take a zillion other different approaches.
moons said:
I am genuinely interested in hearing your point of view and appreciate the time you have put into this thread.
If I get hired next week, it'll have been a journey of a year.

You're scornful of those with "little work ethic."

I simply have no time for them. There is no malice, and certainly no abuse. If they want to spin their wheels and phone it in they don't need me there.

Again, part of this is the trainer. Many trainers are not good motivators. A few are not willing to be motivated, and they'll do things like use the trainer's condition as an excuse. A trainer can encourage, or simply demand, or take a zillion other different approaches.

I don't disagree with this.

If I get hired next week, it'll have been a journey of a year.

I doubt the journey will stop there! Best of luck mate.

So, the timeline so far,
2010-05-27 Thu, first phonecall to place, guy to talk to not available
2010-05-28 Fri, second phonecall, chat had, email to gym supervisor sent
2010-06-02 Tue, gym supervisor replies wanting to set up interview
2010-06-09 Wed, first interview
2010-06-11 Fri, second interview & prac session with gym supervisor and health & fitness co-ordinator, supposed to call referees from here on
2010-06-18 Fri, nagged, was told referees would be called that day
2010-06-23 Wed, first referee was called

After a week since the prac session I decided nagging was in order, I emailed to say hello and they must be busy, I hoped to hear from them soon. They replied (18th June),

"I will be contacting your referees today to check on you. Once I’m happy with their comments, I will contact you ASAP and ask you to go online to apply for the police check."

They could have put it more delicately ;)

Today being the 23rd I heard from one of my referees that they'd called her up, and sounded very positive.

Having the whole process take a month or so feels like no big deal to the employer, busy with all their day-to-day tasks. But it's a big deal to the potential employee waiting, waiting...

It's true that good things come to those who wait but that doesn't mean those waiting should hold their breaths. I've applied to several other places in the meantime. Same sort of places, community gym, YMCA etc. I turned down one joint that was full of meatheads, even I knew more than those guys, couldn't learn from them.

Last edited:
He rang me up this evening, I'm in.

He said, "I called your referees, how much did you pay them?"
"Nothing, in fact one of them pays me, the client..."
"I didn't call him, I called the guy at RMIT and your character reference, they were very positive."

Well I wasn't going to tell him to call people who hate me ;)

There'll be a base of some hours each week as gym floor staff, plus 3hr/week dedicated (paid) just wandering around trying to drum up PT clients. PT sessions I book, I get a bit over half what the clients pay.

So it's not much to start with, but I can build on it.

Now the paperwork. I have to be registered with Fitness Australia or Kinect Australia, and present a Police Check (the employer pays for it). Those will take a couple of weeks.

Last edited: