• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Split: need advice

I'd do a barbell overhead press as opposed to a seated dumbell press. thats the only thing id change man.

edit: and on back days do pull ups instead of chins. More lat involvement. Also do as many reps as you can with your bodyweight. Only worry about weight when you get to 15.

cheers mate :)
barbell press it is (seated or standing mate?)

^^ What Oliver said ... and also maybe put in a streching exercise on your chest day, they're all pressing moves, like a incline DB flys get the width going. I'd proberly alternate weekly BB row with a DB row, but thats getting picky.

been doing dumbbell rows for ages, im going to change to barbell rows for a change :)

I reckon dips give a good stretch. IMO he has enough for chest, the muscle isnt that big.

Not a fan of dumbbell rows - in most gyms the dumbbells only go to 50kg...

fuck how much do you wanna be DB rowing? Lol

Describe the pull-up knackers.

pronated grip with hands just wider than shoulder width apart?

Standing, the same way that you pee.

I've dumbbell rowed 50kg until I got bored. If you keep your form a little loose you'd be surprised how high you can go.

I'm a chin-up pusher.
The pull up you describe is a shoulder wrecker.

Especially with the type of workout you are doing, too many movements around the shoulder.

one thing to consider, is tempo, and time under tension. a general rule of thumb:
lean mass gain, time under tension = 40 to 60 secs.
strength training = up to 40sec.
time under tension will determine you tempo and rep range.
for example when i train for size, i do a 4 0 2 0 tempo for 10 reps. = 60sec tension.
when i train for strength its usually 1/2 0 X 0 for 5 reps etc

just something to consider.

mick

Meh@Time under tension

Just lift, no need to over-think shit.

its not overthinking, my point is there a more variables in strength/bodybuildingtraing then just weight and reps. that being said different things work for different people, so do what works for you. charles poliquin does know his shit though, so i listen to him. works for me.

mick

its not overthinking, my point is there a more variables in strength/bodybuildingtraing then just weight and reps. that being said different things work for different people, so do what works for you. charles poliquin does know his shit though, so i listen to him. works for me.

mick

That's about all Poliquin does know, 'his shit'. Dude pushes some funky stuff.
99% of regular people will find just getting weight and reps down enough of a challenge without a bunch of other questionable stuff. No huge guy i've ever met or trained with has used the poliquin method.

At a beginner to intermediate level I'm pretty sure it won't mean a lick of difference. And I'm pretty sure people still got mighty huge before time under tension was even an idea.

Have only got a straight chin bar at my gym mate unfortuantley

Are there any stirrup handles, short chains and clips around?
Bring your own rings?
May not worth the hassle.
You can alternate between palms facing and palms away.
Can alternate between mixed grip (like deadlifts) too, switch hands every set.

That's about all Poliquin does know, 'his shit'. Dude pushes some funky stuff.
99% of regular people will find just getting weight and reps down enough of a challenge without a bunch of other questionable stuff. No huge guy i've ever met or trained with has used the poliquin method.

i guess all the olympic gold medal winners he trained was a fluke? I'm not here to say that it is the be all and end all, like i originally said, there is no 1 thing that will work for every person. Every person will eventually find what works for them.

So if everyone here disagrees with time under tension, does that mean you all just do the same rep range every work out? Generally speaking, strength training is in the range of 1 - 8 reps. 9-whatever is generally thought to be more for muscle gain. (changing rep range is also going to change, wait for it, time under tension!) Im not sayin that you wont gain muscle from training low reps either, and i agree that you should just go and lift. But like most things in the life there are smarter ways to do things, and i thought this forum was about opinions and helping people out. That is all a post ever is, an opinion! We would be mad to think that we would all agree with each other. Any way all good, good luck with it all dalemightypies, hope you eventually figure out what is best for you.

mick

i guess all the olympic gold medal winners he trained was a fluke? I'm not here to say that it is the be all and end all, like i originally said, there is no 1 thing that will work for every person. Every person will eventually find what works for them.

So if everyone here disagrees with time under tension, does that mean you all just do the same rep range every work out? Generally speaking, strength training is in the range of 1 - 8 reps. 9-whatever is generally thought to be more for muscle gain. (changing rep range is also going to change, wait for it, time under tension!) Im not sayin that you wont gain muscle from training low reps either, and i agree that you should just go and lift. But like most things in the life there are smarter ways to do things, and i thought this forum was about opinions and helping people out. That is all a post ever is, an opinion! We would be mad to think that we would all agree with each other. Any way all good, good luck with it all dalemightypies, hope you eventually figure out what is best for you.

mick

TUT is like you "and the ugly" another tool, nothing more nothing less.

Some of you need to grasp the concept, everything works.

TUT is like you "and the ugly" another tool, nothing more nothing less.

Some of you need to grasp the concept, everything works.

Haha, you're so right! I'm going to sign up with Poliquin for some fat spot reduction and 'biosignature' analysis. Apparently I can get even faster results than on the reality TV shows, and, he even tells me the fat isn't my fault!!
A quick fix AND i've been absolved of personal responsibility for my situation. Charles even has his own supplementation line that is better than anything else available.
Where do I sign????