• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

4 Day Split: need advice

Yes but your not Ronnie..

Basic strength first then do whatever you want if you can't pull 200kg for a few reps your going to be a shot bodybuilder..

All good bodybuilders are strong, moat tryhard body builders Arnt. I'm not saying that's what you are.. But just go to any gym and take a look around at 50kg guys who bench the bar working on their rotator cuffs because someone else did it.

Ronnie was one of the strongest Mofo's if you watch his old Vidoes... "Yehh Babby!!! YEEEHH BABBY!"

Dalemightypies; Do remember there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak and also therre is more than one way to build muscle. I liked your original training plan as long as you are really pushing hard and training intensly.

What these guys are saying is also correct about increasing strength as well. I try to rotate my sessions and change it up all the time, I mean isolations are great but the big stuff is where the oney is. But there is nothing wrong with doing the isos after the big stuff.

I suppose it comes down to the common demonitor, YOU. YOU need to train the way YOUR body will respond and only YOU know what that is.

Ronnie was one of the strongest Mofo's if you watch his old Vidoes... "Yehh Babby!!! YEEEHH BABBY!"

Dalemightypies; Do remember there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak and also therre is more than one way to build muscle. I liked your original training plan as long as you are really pushing hard and training intensly.

What these guys are saying is also correct about increasing strength as well. I try to rotate my sessions and change it up all the time, I mean isolations are great but the big stuff is where the oney is. But there is nothing wrong with doing the isos after the big stuff.

I suppose it comes down to the common demonitor, YOU. YOU need to train the way YOUR body will respond and only YOU know what that is.

That's it mate exactly! Agree with that 100%, there's a million different programs i could do and i'd get result from all of them. I think i'll stick with this split i'm pretty comfortable with it, but i will drop the volume a bit which everyone thinks is a good idea.

Cheers for the help guys!

Yes but your not Ronnie..

Basic strength first then do whatever you want if you can't pull 200kg for a few reps your going to be a shot bodybuilder..

All good bodybuilders are strong, moat tryhard body builders Arnt. I'm not saying that's what you are.. But just go to any gym and take a look around at 50kg guys who bench the bar working on their rotator cuffs because someone else did it.

Where did i say i was ronnie? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty close to getting up a 200kg deadlift, i think by about march i'll be able to do it :)

Where did i say i was ronnie? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty close to getting up a 200kg deadlift, i think by about march i'll be able to do it :)

Your comment was ronnie doesnt train 3 compounds and leave..

Thus my response of your not him.

Ronnie coleman has so much musscle mass that simply going for a walk would burn more calories then some people i know training!

Different horses for different courses.

Your comment was ronnie doesnt train 3 compounds and leave..

Thus my response of your not him.

Ronnie coleman has so much musscle mass that simply going for a walk would burn more calories then some people i know training!

Different horses for different courses.

Fair enough mate, although i know i'm not ronnie coleman, i was just stating a fact.. ;)

I think i'll go with this: should be able to smash these out in about 40 minutes.?

Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench 4x8
Incline Bench 3x8
Dips 3x8
------------------
Skull Crushers 3x8
Tricep Pushdowns 3x8

Back/Abs
Deadlifts 4x8
Barbell Row 3x8
Chinup 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
------------------
Abs

Quads/Hammies/Calves
Squats 4x8
Leg Press 3x8
Lunges 3x8
Stiff Legged Deads 3x8
------------------
Standing Calve Raises 3x50
Seated Calve Raises 3x50

Shoulders/Biceps
Seated Dumbbell Press 4x8
Lying Lateral Raises 3x8
Front Raises 3x8
-------------
Incline Hammer Curl 3x8
Standing Barbell Curl 3x8

I'd do a barbell overhead press as opposed to a seated dumbell press. thats the only thing id change man.

edit: and on back days do pull ups instead of chins. More lat involvement. Also do as many reps as you can with your bodyweight. Only worry about weight when you get to 15.

^^ What Oliver said ... and also maybe put in a streching exercise on your chest day, they're all pressing moves, like a incline DB flys get the width going. I'd proberly alternate weekly BB row with a DB row, but thats getting picky.

I reckon dips give a good stretch. IMO he has enough for chest, the muscle isnt that big.

Not a fan of dumbbell rows - in most gyms the dumbbells only go to 50kg...

I'd do a barbell overhead press as opposed to a seated dumbell press. thats the only thing id change man.

edit: and on back days do pull ups instead of chins. More lat involvement. Also do as many reps as you can with your bodyweight. Only worry about weight when you get to 15.

Describe the pull-up knackers.

I reckon dips give a good stretch. IMO he has enough for chest, the muscle isnt that big.

Not a fan of dumbbell rows - in most gyms the dumbbells only go to 50kg...

I was surprised when i saw the dumbells in my new gym went up to 180lb.

I like DB rows.

Pull ups = pronated grip = hands facing away from the body
Chin ups = suplinated grip = hands facing towards the body

The difference isnt going to be huge but pull ups are traditionally the lat exercise and as he already has a heavy bicep day he doesnt need the extra arm work.

Pull ups = pronated grip = hands facing away from the body
Chin ups = suplinated grip = hands facing towards the body

The difference isnt going to be huge but pull ups are traditionally the lat exercise and as he already has a heavy bicep day he doesnt need the extra arm work.

The lats a big muscle, it's going to take quite a bit of work to to stimulate it.

The arms are the weak link in the chain, so to make inroads you'd need to supinate the hands.

Most trainees are unable to contract the lats, they usually say they feel it in their arms...

One method is to do a set of pullovers to MMF then very quickly literally run to a pulldown type piece of equipment and do the same thing.

After some time you learn how to actually use the lats in a chin-up.

Having said all that chin-ups should always be placed before curls.

His is a bodypart split so I assumed he wants to isolate parts as opposed to providing bang for buck with both lat and arm work. His arms already get hit hard on the chest/tris day and shoulders/bis day.

I concede - the difference wont be significant.

The issue I have with split programs is that you actually cannot isolate parts of the body.

But, if one insists doing a split I think one would achieve faster results, safe results if they adopted the idea that they do a split routine with an Emphasis on a body part.

Then they idea of recovery would make more sense.