• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

Thanks Markos from Adam Coe in sunny Perth.!

Hey Markos ; Adam Coe here. THANKS for the e-mail.! Obviously I've figured-out how to : 1. Join, & 2. Post Blurb etc.
Which questions etc. did you wish me to reply.?
Cheers - Adam.

I think most are curious about your training.

You lifted in an era without speed work, boxes, chains, multi ply gear etc

My recollection is you lifted heavy shit all the time lol.....really heavy shit

Thanks for joining

Ok, looks like I've got it sorted.!

Thanks again Markos : hey, LOVE the quote on somebody's profile "Any guy under 70kg is an UGLY chick".! HA HA HA HA HA..!!!! :D
Ok ; which question(s) 'bout old-time powerlifting/training am I answering.? Can't find any thread hereabouts.? That's my old-age/senility catching-up with me.....

It was a general question from Oliver in this thread.

How many days, sets, reps, equipment used, assistance work etc

Thankyou Daniel.....

Thankyou Daniel, although.....I hardly deserve the word 'honor' amongst other/pertinent conversation.
Who's 'Johnno' or 'Jonnie' or whoever you're trying to beat on Wilks Points.?

Last edited by a moderator:
The average total on this forum just keeps on going up. :D

Be good to hear how you trained or any interesting stories Adam. Great to have someone like you to learn from.

Any info about your old training would be fantastic to hear about.

Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.

Nathan Jones totalled 820kg in single ply at 105kg at the last PA Nats Adam, a sensational lifter.

330/185/305 - 820kg

He missed a 360kg squat, 205kg bench and 315kg dead. You can see he can potentially get around 880kg.

Nathan Jones totalled 820kg in single ply at 105kg at the last PA Nats Adam, a sensational lifter.

330/185/305 - 820kg

He missed a 360kg squat, 205kg bench and 315kg dead. You can see he can potentially get around 880kg.

Thanks Markos ; takes me back to the Mike Hubon/Shane Blood/Vince Simmonetta days. All 3 of these guys (& also Larry Wallen from U.S.A) were around these numbers in the mid-to-late 80's, & were a HUGE source of inspiration to myself (& others...) during the course of our early competition years. Not sure how old Mr. Jones is, however, these are mightily impressive numbers ; if he can stay injury-free, he'd certainly be looking at sub-900kg totals in the near future.

Thanks Dave......

Any info about your old training would be fantastic to hear about.

Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.

Cheers Dave ; your comments are appreciated. Although....I think you guys could probably teach me a thing-or-two about training, to be honest.! The stuff you're all doing in Markos' garage in sunny Frankston is MORE-than-adequate, &, given time, you'll all hit the big numbers. Trick-is to be patient, stay injury-free (if possible.!) & keep your goals realistic. Back in my days, an 800kg total @ 100kg b'weight was 'Elite 1' on the old AAPLF Grading Scale, & is still pertinent today. I reckon ANY lifter (at about 90-100kg b'weight) who's doing around the 800's in the total is going GREAT guns. You'll get there.!

Thankyou Oliver...

Pretty much this Adam. Thanks.

How many days, sets, reps, equipment used, assistance work etc

Thankyou Oliver. Looking through the general conversation in this forum, I see Markos has previously & accurately covered all our early (late 80's to mid-90's..) training at the old Tarzan & Janes' Gym in Seaford, Victoria. Briefly, three days/week, Squats (& associated leg-work) on Mondays, Bench (& associated pressing/tricep/upper-body) work on Wednesday & Deadlifts (Lats., Biceps et.al.) on Friday. The weekend was OFF-LIMITS.! There's a couple of slightly different variations to this schedule which can be used, however, the vast majority of lifters ALL profited from this routine.
In the 1980's, it was 5 sets of 5 reps (prior to competition), however, later we adopted Ed Coan's Training Routine gleaned from an old 'Ironsport' Magazine (which Markos showed me in the late 80's.). If Markos reads this thread, he : 1. May still have this magazine, as he has a staggering library of old-time Muscle Mags. at his house, or 2. May remember this routine. Either way, when I have a half-hour to spare, I can post this routine here if required.
Assistance work was quite minimal. After several sets of heavy Squats, Benches or Deadlifts, who could possibly be bothered with doing much more work.! Leg Curls & Calf Raises on Monday, whichever favourite Tricep exercises you prefer on Wednesday & Lat. Pulldowns/Bicep Curls on Friday. Then....HOME.! Quite frankly, if you are putting-in the required effort on these three days, with a routine similar to this, then you are going to LOVE Saturday & Sunday.! Personally, I'd had-enough of the gym by Friday, & looked-forward to relaxing on the weekend (there is a slight correction to the above routine which includes a Saturday Session, which we did in the mid-80's, however, this isn't a path you'd wanna follow UNLESS you have serious masochistic tendencies...).
Equipment wasn't utilised 'til close-to competition (please refer to my previous comments re : Ed Coan's routine in the Ironsport Magazine/Markos etc.). I think Ed Coan has published several invaluable training dvd's/books etc., which I would urge ANY prospective powerlifter/strength athlete to digest. His (Ed Coan's) comments regarding equipment make ABSOLUTE sense & should be followed (where possible..).
Hope this provides a brief summation of the 'old-time' lifting we all once did ; that which Markos & P.T.C people are currently doing is pretty-much the same now as it was then. Good Lifting.!

Thank you for sharing this with us Adam, you're an inspiration. It puts into perspective the issue of intensity. If you really put in work on your main lifts, you really shouldn't have enough energy to do a whole stack of fluff excersises, something I've been guilty of a few times. Stick the big compounds, make them heavy and do a few choice accessory excersises then get out and go recover.

Speaking of which, did you employ any recovery techniques at all apart fom eating a small mountain of food? I suspect getting under the kind of weight you where handling would leave you pretty beat.

Glad you like the sig.

Cheers,

-Mitch.

Thanks Markos ; takes me back to the Mike Hubon/Shane Blood/Vince Simmonetta days. All 3 of these guys (& also Larry Wallen from U.S.A) were around these numbers in the mid-to-late 80's, & were a HUGE source of inspiration to myself (& others...) during the course of our early competition years. Not sure how old Mr. Jones is, however, these are mightily impressive numbers ; if he can stay injury-free, he'd certainly be looking at sub-900kg totals in the near future.

Hi Adam...and welcome aboard...I'm humbled to be praised by a pioneer and great such as yourself..thankyou...I'm 32 and have been pulling since July 08

Like you have indicated, I also feel that the key to success is in staying injury free and being patient. I need to learn a little more of the latter as it has cost me kg's on my total several times but this wont happen again!