• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Should be able to get 5 or 6 exercises, 3 sets each in to that time frame with 2 minutes rest and a couple of quick warm up sets

When i was doing this with my bro it took us 2 hours so 1 hour by yourself is easily achiveable.

thats with 1-2 mins rest

Maybe...

Still, I'm basically doing SS and have found it good as a starting program. A few injuries have kept my progression low though.

ABxABxx with A = squat/OHP/dead + extra exercise (rows of some form or pull ups + dips) B = squat/bench/RDLs + extra exercise and I do that routine in about 1 hour with ergo warm up and 10 minute stretch down.

May start doing cleans.

What sort of OHP weight would be a good target for this beginner programme? 50kg? 60kg?
And for rows? 90kg?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

depends on your genetics
my rows didn't start to take off until I was deadlifting 200kg

I guess I just mean to fit in with the other targets of 100kg bench, 140kg squat, 180kg deadlift.
I suppose it doesn't really matter though, they're not the lifts people care about so much.

I think it would vary form person to person - my squat is starting to slow down in progression at 150kg+, RDL at 125+. OHP is at 50kg, but it's a hard one to progress with.

I'll probably test my 1RMs again soon and start calculating a 5/3/1 cycle, but keen to hit my goals of 200kg deadlift and 120kg bench first.

This is a fantastic program however it take me almost one hour and a half to complete it. I was hoping to try and get my wife involved in the program, but that may also blow out the time to two hours+, as I know she will lose interest.

Should I split it up into an A, and B routine, similar to SS, or move to a 5/3/1, if I see that she can't cut it.

There was a post by [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; somewhere here that outlined an alternative as a beginner plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do dips and chins on the alternate days, though that's more to the fact that I'm just about borked after doing everything else the way that it should be.

This is a fantastic program however it take me almost one hour and a half to complete it. I was hoping to try and get my wife involved in the program, but that may also blow out the time to two hours+, as I know she will lose interest.

Should I split it up into an A, and B routine, similar to SS, or move to a 5/3/1, if I see that she can't cut it.

Decrease your rest periods?

I found an upper lower split twice a week worked just fine for me as a beginner. I started doing a full body routiine but the workout time just blew out too much.

I think something like the following would work just fine. If you're recovering too fast just do more sets of each exercise. Do 3x10 or something to start. Could even change it to 5x5. Once you get pretty strong try 3x10 and 5x5 and if you recover ok continue.
Day 1 - bench/chin ups/ overhead press / face pulls
Day 2 - squats + abs
Day 3 - break
Day 4 - bench/dumbell rows/bicep curls/overhead press / face pulls
Day 5 - deads, squats
Day 6,7 - break

I've heard of some people doing everything once a week as a beginner and progressing just fine too (chest-mon, back-tues, wed-legs,thurs-shoulders, etc) but that has never worked well for me. Twice a week works well except for legs which I have good success doing 1-2 times per week.

Any ideas on suitable work to do on non-primary workout days?

I did my version of this routine yesterday, mate is coming over for weights this arvo and I figure I might as well do something.. Thinking maybe I'll just skip the big compounds, i.e. squat and deadlift. So i'll still do bench, OHP, rows and chins. Might throw in some curls and skullcrushers or something.... Otherwise considering cranking out some tabata...

I used to do Tabata Thrusters, but decided to save my knees for heavy squatting!

At the moment on my off days I do dips, assisted chins, cable pull aparts and some other movements for shoulder health, do some light ish lying tricep extensions with ezy curl bar, lighter than usual straight bar curls and a heavy farmer's walk to finish up. I do need to find a decent conditioning excercise like some stair runs though.

I used to do Tabata Thrusters, but decided to save my knees for heavy squatting!

At the moment on my off days I do dips, assisted chins, cable pull aparts and some other movements for shoulder health, do some light ish lying tricep extensions with ezy curl bar, lighter than usual straight bar curls and a heavy farmer's walk to finish up. I do need to find a decent conditioning excercise like some stair runs though.

Yeah, looks to be pretty much what I was thinking. Focus on the smaller muscles that recover a bit more quickly so as to not affect the next primary workout. Light weights but high intensity is probably the way to go, work more on my anaerobic fitness and get the blood pumping.

I think by the end of march i will be looking for a new program, something to work all muscle groups seperately

I think by the end of march i will be looking for a new program, something to work all muscle groups seperately

I've gotta admit that this one is pretty full on. Takes me forever to do it all properly because there's so much rest required. I'm certainly sticking to it though, it's working well for me.

I understand your goals are probably quite different to mine, with more focus on weight loss, so maybe you can find another routine that can be done at a higher tempo.

I will be, i have been using this program and daily swimming for fat loss more than anything but i have been getting a lot stronger too