• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Tested my 1RMs tonight, as a finisher for this program. 230kg squat, 200 deadlift, 70kg OHP, 120kg bench. +30kg on squat and dead since last November (had to take a month off bench + OHP, so only 10, 20kg gains there) @ 120kg bodyweight.

about 9 months on this routine, training by myself in a commercial gym, on a cut (lost about 20kg in the process). Very happy with the way it's turned out, and IMO proves that this is a very solid program for a beginner. Not sure if I were to do it again, whether I'd do this one or Starting Strength though.

My brother has a physically demandng job and he is in his mid 30's. Think this would work if you split the session in half and went 4x for much shorter sessions.

Eg day 1 squat, bench, row
day 2 sld, military, row

Just my opinion but if you split, you'd want to be in the gym 6 days per week instead of 3. Training each part twice a week won't get the volume if you're only doing 3 x 8. You also don't get the same amount of rest, which is a very important part.

If he's never trained then obviously he'll still see results but not as good or as fast as sticking to the full body, 3 days/week style.

Started a 5x5 beginner program

Hi guys,

I am a 42 yo beginner to lifting and have started the 5x5 program that was recommended by a trainer at my local gym. I am worried about my duck feet issues getting in the way of doing squats, and I can squat to parallel, but only just.

I started the program 7 weeks ago using just the barbell (20 kg), doing squats three times a week and increasing the weight by the recommended 2.5kg. I have noticed when I squat my feet flare out like duck feet, not matter how hard I try the proper form, (lift through the heals, tight butt, chest and eyes forward etc).

BTW I found the information (on this site) about squatting very useful, (so thank you) I just wish my feet will play along. Any tips will be greatly appreciated as I am hooked on strength training and do not want to stop.

As far as the other compound lifts are going (Bench, OH Press, BB Rows, Deadlifts) not issues to report in terms of mobility. I have asked the trainer to find some mobility work for me, as I do not want to stop squatting due to sore knees etc.

Thanks

He says I would need to do some ankle mobility work because my knees are not directly overy my feet when I squat.

Google up goblet squats. I find whatever placement works with them is your natural squat form. Can't fight the way you are built.

Is there any correlation between the 6 lifts that point to deficiencies in a muscle group if any lift is not proportional to the others?

Or, to put it another way, where do the other lifts place in comparison to the 3 big ones with regard to the weights listed as "beginner" in the OP.

less verbose version:

100/140/180 for the 3 main lifts, what weights should the other 3 lifts be at that point.

They don't have to be anything.
They are only arbitrary numbers anyway used as a guide.
Just focus on progression.

Yeah, I kinda figured that but I am curious whether overall strength at the end of the beginner stage shows trends in the other 3.

I'm probably concerning myself with unimportant things since I'm a weak beginner. :p

Yeah, I kinda figured that but I am curious whether overall strength at the end of the beginner stage shows trends in the other 3.

I'm probably concerning myself with unimportant things since I'm a weak beginner. :p
yes you are (concerning)...just lift and progress.. :cool:

Just started this program today, have just come off the back of having both knees reconstructed from my short and not so illustrious rugby career. Was sweating like a pig in the gym. Long way to go. Hopefully this coupled with a circuit/cardio regime on the other days should help me lose some weight and get stronger.

out of interest if training mon-thur and did this program would you do this every night or is it better doin it every 2nd night???

I started doing this workout returning from a 3 year hiatus. I enjoy doing all 6 exercises in one session.

My only modification is that I regular deadlift instead of SLDL once a week for 3 x 5.

I'll see how it goes.