• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
The original program was SLDL wasn't it?
Personally, I'd squat first, deadlift last...but that is personal preference.

I've used the beginner program a few times over the years. One set of twenty reps and one of fifteen on squats. SLDLs were tough after squats so I would do nearly every exercise and leave them until last to let my lower back recover. Tough program.

New to training.

You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse.

I posted this up on another forum a year ago. The pissweak pencil neck poindexters all pointed out that it was biased against skinny guys. Crap. If your skinny, eat something. At the time Max weighed 60kg and wasnt remotely close to any of those lifts.

One year later he only has the bench to go, he is only a handful of kg's away. That sounds about right. If you train correctly, you should be able to achieve these goals in a year, regardless of bodyweight. Not many on here lighter than Max was, so no complaints.

The record for achieving all these lifts at PTC from complete beginner was Vocy, he did it in under 3 months from never touching a weight, he weighed 100kg. Benny did it in roughly the same, around 10 weeks.

Now, if your a beginner, here is what you need to do, for between 3-12 months.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.

If youve been training for longer than 12 months and cant make ALL those lifts, you've been kidding yourselves, wasting your time on rubbish.

If somebody gave you a pile of ****, and said it was free, would you keep it, simply cause its free? Of course not, you have no use for it.

Just because something is free doesnt mean its useful.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and need advice badly as there is too many inconsistencies as to how to gain strength:

[FONT=&quot]I want to find the right program for strength training. What is confusing me is the conflicting rep ranges used for strength training, some sites say 6 to 10 reps while others say 5 reps only. I have been doing a 5repx5sets program focusing on the compound lifts (squats, dead lifts, Bench and shoulder press) have being doing it for about 5 weeks and becoming hooked. Have been really careful on form as I am new, hence gains have been small but definitely starting to bulk up quickly (must be the weight gainer).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My first goal is to lift my own body weight of 87kg for the 5 compound lifts, not quite there yet, about 85% of the way (arrrrrrrgh), [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Any advice would be appreciated. [/FONT]

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and need advice badly as there is too many inconsistencies as to how to gain strength:

[FONT=&quot]I want to find the right program for strength training. What is confusing me is the conflicting rep ranges used for strength training, some sites say 6 to 10 reps while others say 5 reps only. I have been doing a 5repx5sets program focusing on the compound lifts (squats, dead lifts, Bench and shoulder press) have being doing it for about 5 weeks and becoming hooked. Have been really careful on form as I am new, hence gains have been small but definitely starting to bulk up quickly (must be the weight gainer).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My first goal is to lift my own body weight of 87kg for the 5 compound lifts, not quite there yet, about 85% of the way (arrrrrrrgh), [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Any advice would be appreciated. [/FONT]
You're doing 5x5, your're hooked and you gaining weight. So what was the problem again?

KEEP GOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My concern is that I am way of in terms of strength as people have told me you should be able to lift your body weight (unless I have been feed BS).

thanks

You will eventually! I'd stick with what you're doing.
Personally I don't believe there is beginner strength/bodybuilding programs, there's just beginner lifting. Do your basics for 6 months and then evaluate.

A 5x5 style workout is usually a great "beginner's" routine as the compound movements will pack on overall mass and strength. Keep at it, you'll get your goal easily and be pushing for 1.5x before you know it.

Training

Thanks for the help / advice guys,

Have to make sure I look after the diet part lol, still learning about foods / supplements but will get there.

:)

Markos specifically recommends against 5x5 for beginners (he may have even posted that in this thread somewhere)

I did the V1 of this program (2x20 squat, 3x10 everything else) for 3 months or so, stalled hard (on a cut as well), so I went to the second version that's on here (with RDL instead of SLDL due to misunderstanding how the movement worked).

Seen pretty drastic improvements on everything, and noticeable physique changes.

Still hanging out for my 200kg deadlift and 120 bench targets before swapping over to 5/3/1.

I've switched from doing squat then RDL to squat, OHP, RDL, bent over row, bench, curls.

Hey [MENTION=16675]bozodos[/MENTION]; Good to hear you've had success with this programme. Do you have a log? What weights did you start with? How long has it taken you to get to where you are now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing the second version for about 6 months now, deadlift went from ~100kg to 170, bench from 80kg to 110, squat from 170kg - 200. Haven't tested 1RMs for a few months now though.

Still quite weak on OHP and bench due to not training them for a month with shoulder issues, but it's getting there, and more importantly, with proper form.

I don't really keep a log apart from noting mentally where I'm at with everything.

I personally think that this routine is excellent for the beginner, and I wish I hadn't wasted the first 4 months of training doing bro split isolation stuff.

If I was going to start it again, I'd go with using just the bar and doing 2.5kg every workout as silly as it sounds to stop progressing too quickly, and therefore stalling.

Then dont take your phone in the gym!
But seriously, should be able to knock that out in an hour comfortably, 1-2 minutes rest between sets

Markos specifically recommends against 5x5 for beginners (he may have even posted that in this thread somewhere)

I did the V1 of this program (2x20 squat, 3x10 everything else) for 3 months or so, stalled hard (on a cut as well), so I went to the second version that's on here (with RDL instead of SLDL due to misunderstanding how the movement worked).

Seen pretty drastic improvements on everything, and noticeable physique changes.

Still hanging out for my 200kg deadlift and 120 bench targets before swapping over to 5/3/1.

I've switched from doing squat then RDL to squat, OHP, RDL, bent over row, bench, curls.

Hi Bozodos,

Are you saying I should abandon the 5x5 program and find the V2 of the program (if so, where can I find this program). Also, clarify the meaning of SLDL/RDL/OHP mean (I think OHP means OverHead Press), I am still learning lol.

Thanks

Hi Bozodos,

Are you saying I should abandon the 5x5 program and find the V2 of the program (if so, where can I find this program). Also, clarify the meaning of SLDL/RDL/OHP mean (I think OHP means OverHead Press), I am still learning lol.

Thanks

Strength training is pretty easy man. A lot of people overthink this. When "it clicked" it was so obvious. You just need to do more, then keep doing more. That's it! It's as simple as doing more.

Now as a novice, you're going to lack muscle mass. I didn't pay enough attention to this at the beginning and did "strength" training. Well trying to ease the most out of 65kg didn't get me very far but I busted my ass and made decent progress. But I'm back to pushing my muscle mass higher now so I can hit bigger numbers in the future

I think sets of 8-12 reps are perfect for a novice. I'd stick to lower reps on upper body and higher on lower body- for the simple reason that your lower body motor skills are going to be far better than your upper body. The bar will most likely be going all over the place with high rep bench presses.

Just pick a weight that's kinda difficult and do a bunch of sets. No particular number just do them. Some days it will be 8 sets some days it will be 3. Leave 1 or 2 reps in the tank so for benching you'd be doing a few sets of 8 with a weight you can get for 10 reps for example. If you're worried about if it's the right weight, don't. Just do your sets of 8. even if there are 20 of them. Increase the weight next time and see what happens

Training split, full body will be best. Do some sort of pressing every time and follow it up with some sort of squat or a deadlift. Then lots of chins and dips at the end of the session. And of course curls because that's why everyone trains at the end of the day to look good for some whore. Train whenever you want, it doesn't matter. 2 days, 3 days or 7 days a week just do it. You'll know if it's too much and if you need a break. Even if you train in the morning and are feeling good again in the evening feel free to go and train again

Diet, don't worry about it for the first year just focus on getting protein in and eat "clean" aka don't eat like a fucking fatass smashing back the maccas or drinking 4L of milk in an aim to "bulk"

Hope this helps. It's pretty simple just requires a lot of effort and consistency