• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I pretty much would have said what 0ni did, but I'm still a beginner too.

I am a big believer in linear progression, so just trying to go up by 2.5kg a week or get more reps out at a given weight.

works for me, your results may of course vary. I don't do chins and dips on the same days as bench and OHP though, I have assistance days for that stuff.

Currently I'm doing 5x5 squats due to extreme heat making sets of 10 a struggle.

Progression (progressive resistance) in weight training is not linear.

it's up and then down, then its really up and might stall then up and the goal posts are always moving.

Even going backwards occasionally is moving forward.

If you can add weight then add it
Just be sure to do a bunch of sets, and leave a rep or two left over in each set :)

opinions will vary on that.:)

Maybe
I think a novice though, they don't ahve the motor coordination
I remember it well, bar moving all over the place
I would not want to go to failure there, would be messy
things like pushdowns, etc, sure why not

Progression (progressive resistance) in weight training is not linear.

it's up and then down, then its really up and might stall then up and the goal posts are always moving.

Even going backwards occasionally is moving forward.

without getting into semantics about the definition of "linear progression", the start too light, keep progressively adding weight method worked a shitload better for me than "just picking up something heavy"

Maybe
I think a novice though, they don't ahve the motor coordination
I remember it well, bar moving all over the place
I would not want to go to failure there, would be messy
things like pushdowns, etc, sure why not

good point

I've gotta say my workout partner has real problems controlling the bar with his bench press and incline bench...
He also trains to failure for every set, no matter what I say to him. Refuses to do more than 1 warmup set, refuses to squat, deadlift, OHP or bent row (he does upright/standing rows). No wonder I've caught up with him in 3 months (only 1 month on this programme though).

I'm sick of trying to convince him, I just let him do his own thing now.

Last edited:
Strength training is pretty easy man. A lot of people overthink this. When "it clicked" it was so obvious. You just need to do more, then keep doing more. That's it! It's as simple as doing more.

Guilty as charge on overthinking it.

Thanks for the advice, now I have to get my lazy ass over to the gym after a long days work.

Let him do his own thing. Train on your own.

Would do, but it's my home gym and I need a spotter for some stuff. And he's my brother in law and it helps with motivation...

There's another guy who comes around to hit the weights too, but he's such a beginner that I recommended a more high tempo, low weight routine that Fadi had posted here somewhere. He's never lifted before and just needs to get used to the idea. He struggled to do 20 squats with 10kg and benches about 35kg @ over 100kg bodyweight.

Planning on getting him into this routine in 3 months or so. He needs more flexibility for squats, he can't even get parallel..

He refuses to deadlift, row and squat and you reckon he motivates you. That would be de-motivating.

Anyhooo, best of luck.

He refuses to deadlift, row and squat and you reckon he motivates you. That would be de-motivating.

Anyhooo, best of luck.

I guess I enjoy thee fact that I'm right and he's wrong. Plus I reckon he'll come around eventually.
It's not like he tries to convince me that what I'm doing isn't good.

haha sounds like what I went through with my former gym buddies. They wanted to do pyramids or sets to failure, with someone else grabbing the bar off for bench and pretty much rowing it on the last rep, random isolations and celebrity "routines".

I got them doing the PTC method with me for about 2 weeks before they were sick of "squatting too much".

I used to hate deadlift and bench due to being shit at them until I realised that the only way to get better was to do more of it.

You'll end up training alone if you want to do it effectively.

I don't really do warmups on anything apart from overhead press, though I sit and hold a glute to calve squat at bodyweight before squatting.

haha sounds like what I went through with my former gym buddies. They wanted to do pyramids or sets to failure, with someone else grabbing the bar off for bench and pretty much rowing it on the last rep, random isolations and celebrity "routines".

I got them doing the PTC method with me for about 2 weeks before they were sick of "squatting too much".

I used to hate deadlift and bench due to being shit at them until I realised that the only way to get better was to do more of it.

You'll end up training alone if you want to do it effectively.

I don't really do warmups on anything apart from overhead press, though I sit and hold a glute to calve squat at bodyweight before squatting.

I guess I'm lucky in that I've always loved squats and deadlifts.

My mate loves benchpress, but it's my most hated lift because it's so easy to fail. That's why my main goal is to get to 100kg benchpress. I could hardly even do a set of 10 pushups 3 months ago.

I've also gone from not being able to do any strict pullups to being able to do 6, all the way up and down @97kg bodyweight.

I do warmups for bench, squat and deads. Mainly just to get a feel for it and get the movement settled. I don't worry too much for the other exercises as there's not as much "control" required..

I never done squats before late last year but i think adding 10 kilos a week is a decent way to build strength

Then dont take your phone in the gym!
But seriously, should be able to knock that out in an hour comfortably, 1-2 minutes rest between sets

Nah i do squats, a press, deadlift and one other exercise in an hour, then some stretching. So no I don't see how you can do this. Anyway, I'm training for strength.