• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
2-3 sets of BB curls AFTER youve done your pulls, presses and squats, some prefer chins with a close grip

No need to do more than 1 exercise for a couple of sets, its the smallest muscle group in the body

2-3 sets of BB curls AFTER youve done your pulls, presses and squats, some prefer chins with a close grip

No need to do more than 1 exercise for a couple of sets, its the smallest muscle group in the body

so what is the strength training program like of this thread?
i read through all posts all i noticed were just how abusive and defensive everyone got.
so for a novice, doing 3 x 8 r is better? what kinda weights should they use?
pls enlightend

so what is the strength training program like of this thread?
i read through all posts all i noticed were just how abusive and defensive everyone got.
pls enlightend

I honestly cant believe how hard this stuff is.

Most guys drink, smoke, take drugs, miss meals, stay up late, eat junk, not enough protein, too many processed carbs, yet worry about sets and reps.

Sets and reps have an importance rating of 1%. The effort you put in has 49% and your diet has 50%.

I've always stated that I judge someones intelligence by the questions he asks, not the answers he gives.

I honestly cant believe how hard this stuff is.

Most guys drink, smoke, take drugs, miss meals, stay up late, eat junk, not enough protein, too many processed carbs, yet worry about sets and reps.

Sets and reps have an importance rating of 1%. The effort you put in has 49% and your diet has 50%.

I've always stated that I judge someones intelligence by the questions he asks, not the answers he gives.

I went to answer this before, then thought, hey it's Markos' thread, let him answer. But he still didn't, so here I am :p Like many people training for years, Markos sometimes forgets how daunting it can all be for a newbie. Or perhaps (like me) he reckons that sometimes people are spending a lot of time thinking so they can avoid getting in there to actually sweat! Either way...

Just start with the bar, practice the movement. If you can do all sets and reps, next session add weight - the smallest amount you can at your gym, usually a 1.25kg plate on each side, 2.5kg in total.

It'll be easy at first, that's okay, as I said you're learning the movement. After a month or two you'll get to weights where you feel it's a real effort.

And as Markos says, effort is where it's at. Plus diet and sleep.

Don't overthink it.

Last edited:
I went to answer this before, then thought, hey it's Markos' thread, let him answer. But he still didn't, so here I am :p Like many people training for years, Markos sometimes forgets how daunting it can all be for a newbie. Or perhaps (like me) he reckons that sometimes people are spending a lot of time thinking so they can avoid getting in there to actually sweat! Either way...

Just start with the bar, practice the movement. If you can do all sets and reps, next session add weight - the smallest amount you can at your gym, usually a 1.25kg plate on each side, 2.5kg in total.

It'll be easy at first, that's okay, as I said you're learning the movement. After a month or two you'll get to weights where you feel it's a real effort.

And as Markos says, effort is where it's at. Plus diet and sleep.

Don't overthink it.

A grip width where you can move it from close to your body to full extension of your arms, and do it comfortably.

With just the bar, just try out a few different grip widths and see what's comfortable.

Don't overthink it :)

A grip width where you can move it from close to your body to full extension of your arms, and do it comfortably.

With just the bar, just try out a few different grip widths and see what's comfortable.

With Military Press, Rippetoe coaches to grip the bar not more than an inch or so wider than the lateral part of the shoulder, bar as close to the heel of the hand as flexibility permits and bar resting on the anterior deltoids, elbows rotated around forwards so they are in front of the bar when viewed from side on.

With Military Press, Rippetoe coaches to grip the bar not more than an inch or so wider than the lateral part of the shoulder, bar as close to the heel of the hand as flexibility permits and bar resting on the anterior deltoids, elbows rotated around forwards so they are in front of the bar when viewed from side on.

And if he tried out different grips to see which was the most comfortable for him, that's just about the position he'd find for the overhead press ;)

Same goes for the row.

There's a reason these positions are chosen. It's because they're both comfortable and offer a mechanical advantage, making you able to lift the most with the least risk of injury.

Get the basic idea, then do it in the way which is comfortable, but works your muscles most thoroughly.

In the end we're just lifting stuff up and putting it back down, it's not brain surgery ;) Don't overthink it.

And if he tried out different grips to see which was the most comfortable for him, that's just about the position he'd find for the overhead press ;)

Same goes for the row.

There's a reason these positions are chosen. It's because they're both comfortable and offer a mechanical advantage, making you able to lift the most with the least risk of injury.

Get the basic idea, then do it in the way which is comfortable, but works your muscles most thoroughly.

In the end we're just lifting stuff up and putting it back down, it's not brain surgery ;) Don't overthink it.