• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Anti-inflammatory drugs/medications and training.

DREADLIFT

So whats the scoop with anti inflammatory drugs/meds and training. Most of the firdt glance online material is dealing with runners/active sports.

Got some Voltaren Rapid 25's over the counter as ive been dealing with a sprained wrist and I feel amazing. Every little usual ache and pain is gone (namely my shoddy ankle and hip).

Do they actually help recovery of slight injuries and aches(tendinitis/overuse)/help restore movement in an area? Or are they just pain reduction/killers and combined with training likely to do more harm than good.

So whats the scoop with anti inflammatory drugs/meds and training. Most of the firdt glance online material is dealing with runners/active sports.

Got some Voltaren Rapid 25's over the counter as ive been dealing with a sprained wrist and I feel amazing. Every little usual ache and pain is gone (namely my shoddy ankle and hip).

Do they actually help recovery of slight injuries and aches(tendinitis/overuse)/help restore movement in an area? Or are they just pain reduction/killers and combined with training likely to do more harm than good.

Been on anti inflamms for about 3-4 years straight because of chronic pain from a footy injury.

They just mask the pain and don't help recovery. If anything due to the anti inflamm effect they make injuries like chronic tendonitis recovery worse due to restricting blood flow.

Also. Voltaren is one of the worst ones I used. Hardly worked for me.

All they do is block the inflammatory mediators of the immune system, they don't actually help restore function, they possibly make it worse by allowing you to use the areas before they are healed.

I agree with the above posts but I think there are situations when training through a minor aggravation is a good thing and pain relief is sometimes needed to achieve that. Often when you have an injury, your body will inhibit activation of affected muscles leading to atrophy and potentially to altered movement patterns that leave you susceptible to further injury down the track. Classic example is that with low back injuries, the body will shut down the multifidii muscles, which are the same stabilisers around the spine. They will easily atrophy after a bad back injury leading to further instability and further risk of back injury.

Pain is a major factor in movement quality and your body can inhibit muscle activation in the presence of pain in order to protect it. Ironically, the muscle might not need protection and in fact inhibiting the muscle could risk leading to further injury. If you can remove pain so that you can move properly, you can continue to strengthen the affected muscle. Obviously this depends on the severity of the injury and the key is to ensure that the area is sufficiently healed before doing this. This is why my physio would recommend no anti-inflamms initially but to take if necessary once rehab had begun.

Long story short, there is a time and place for anti-inflams. Though you can also get the same effect from heat creams which can be useful for training through minor niggles.

PS Voltaren rapid 25 was great for my back/SI joint injury. Get it by its generic name though, diclofenac, heaps cheaper. I found this isn't as good as ibuprofen for other kinds of injury however, probably because the pain wasn't really due to inflammation. I suspect that's why they didn't help Bazza with his chronic tendonitis. They seem to work better with joint injuries.

Last edited:
I cant wipe my ass but can deadlift up to 250 quite easily prior to anti-is at the moment, so its not that severe of a sprain, it is 2 weeks old.

Aside from the pain relief, on the whole, I feel fucking amazing compared to normal.

Well, if you need it to function, take it. Just remember that it is all an illusion and you won't be getting any feedback on how well the injury is actually healing.

I never liked taking anything long term that could potentially alter the amount of stress the body receives from a training stimulus
But if you're in pain, that is a different matter

Ignore the things about them affecting protein synthesis as well, it's bullshit. I can go into it if you're really interested but it's pretty boring

Also anti inflammatories work great for tendinitis. Why wouldn't they. It's an inflammation of the tendon

Ignore the things about them affecting protein synthesis as well, it's bullshit. I can go into it if you're really interested but it's pretty boring

Im interested to hear about it. You talk like you have a done years of research on the topic, so I'm very interested to hear about it

Also anti inflammatories work great for tendinitis. Why wouldn't they. It's an inflammation of the tendon

Right and wrong. Acute tendinitis where there is inflammation yes.

Chronic tendinitis which the docs have told me is supposed to be called tendonosis but no ones does. Does not have inflammation but is degeneration of the tendon and anti inflamms actually slow the healing.

Im interested to hear about it. You talk like you have a done years of research on the topic, so I'm very interested to hear about it

OK, I will display everything needed later

Right and wrong. Acute tendinitis where there is inflammation yes.

Chronic tendinitis which the docs have told me is supposed to be called tendonosis but no ones does. Does not have inflammation but is degeneration of the tendon and anti inflamms actually slow the healing.

Yeah tendinosis is what I thought you have, it's a degrading of the tendon itself. No amount of anti inflammatory is going to help with that. Osis implies "without inflammation" I believe where an Itis is an inflammatory disorder

bawww, babby doesn't want the relevant information displayed to him he wants the inferior version with bits missing!! boo hoo
You'll get what you're given

Celebrex is the one for me, very gentle on the gut and effective.
Voltaren is harsh.

Alight then high road, ibuprofen shuts off one of the pathways that activate mTOR and therefore decrease protein synthesis. But mTOR can be activated by many pathways so it's a none issues

Alight then high road, ibuprofen shuts off one of the pathways that activate mTOR and therefore decrease protein synthesis. But mTOR can be activated by many pathways so it's a none issues

I have even heard there is a rebound effect after the slow down of protein synthesis and it could even result in a net overall anabolic effect. End result don't worry about it.