• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
when i was alot more ignorant than i am now, I found a forum, which was much like this one, it's good.
Like TTT states; forums should be where people swap ideas and answer questions based on personal experience.
I asked stupid questions and wrote stupid things, nothing much has changed

But if an older member of that forum suggest i read a particular book, I'd drop everything and read it, and read it again.

I respect a man that can read 3 books a week, I cannot.

one thing for sure though...

Don't believe everything you read and only half believe everything you see

Yes forums are for personal experiences
But this had nothing to do with personal experience. I can't be bothered to discuss it any more

Yes forums are for personal experiences
But this had nothing to do with personal experience. I can't be bothered to discuss it any more

Yes it does..

your original post.
Lets get a ribcage expansion thread going.
I am very interested in this.
I know [MENTION=3627]Silverback[/MENTION]; will have some good thoughts on this.

I purchased Dr. Kelso's shrug book to get all the information that I need. I decided upon the 20 rep pullovers and chest flies.

Now, he recommends using 10kg for the pullovers and 5kg in each hand for the flies. The flies I get a stretch just nicely but the pullovers, the weight seems too light. What weights did people here typically use?

I really like that old school and 1970's look and it makes sense to train this way

Your first post says asks for Silverbacks thoughts on this.. which he no doubt would have experienced before recommending it.. therefore it's his experience.

Asking what weight people here typically use for flies or pullovers is asking for other peoples personal experience on this topic

@Penn asked "How do you measure the change in rib cage?"
He wanted to know after doing 3 months of the rib cage expansion exercises like squats and deads and pullovers, how to you quantify that the measurement change was purely an expansion of the rib cage and not that you also developed a well large chest and lats? and your reply was

Just read Dr. Kelso's shrug book
I am fed up of people asking questions all the time here when a reference is linked for everyone to read. Want to know the whys and wherefores? Read the source material that was referenced. It's going to be explained better than I ever will and I'm not going to post the entire book

If it tells you in the book that the correct way to measure rib cage measurements without fudging the number by larger pecs and lats then your comments are fair enough..

but even then, you could have just said "Hey mate, the book goes in to detail about how this is done" instead of "I'm fed up with.. wah wah wah.."

From what ive read from Brooks D. Kubik the exhale is one of the most important parts for the breathing squats and the pullovers are meant to be done light, not heavy. I will copy the important stuff from the book. I will give this a go once my newbie gains stop before going to an intermediate program.

"Perform your reps as follows. After the first squat, take a huge deep gulp of air. Lift your chest and shoulders as high as possible when you breathe. Exhale so hard you make the room shake.

Take TWO huge, deep gasping gulps of air after the second rep. Work each breath as hard as you work anything else you do. The breathing is an essential part of the exercise. The breathing oxygenates your blood, expands your lungs and kicks your metabolism into over drive. Make each breath count!

After rep number three, take THREE big breaths, filling your lungs as deeply as possible. Yes, it's hard work to do deep breathing with a heavy barbell on your shoulders. That's why the exercise is so effective!

After the fourth rep, take FOUR of the big, blast-furnace, gym-shaking breaths. Make them BIG ones. I want the dumbbells on the dumbbell rack to rattle and roll when you exhale.

After rep number five, take FIVE enormous breaths. Fill your lungs to their maximum on each breath. Make each breath a minimum of 8.5 on the Richter Scale.

From that point forward, take FIVE gigantic breaths in between each rep.

Somewhere around the tenth rep, you'll think you cant possibly do another rep. When that happens, grit your teeth and grind out another rep-and then another-and then another-until you get all the way to 20!

Completing your set of squats may take 10 minutes or more. When you're finished, you'll be totally wiped out.

Rack the bar, stagger over to your flat bench, and perform a single set of 20 pull overs with a pair of light dumbbells or an empty bar. Do NOT go heavy on the pullovers . The purpose of the pullovers is to do even MORE deep breathing, so that you super-saturate your lungs with as much oxygen as possible. In the addition, the pullovers help raise and stretch your rib-cage to the maximum.

Use a double breath pattern on the pullovers. Breathe in at the start of the movement, and breath out as you lower the bar to arm's length behind your head. Breath in again in the arms extended position."

"The best way to break into the breathing squat program is as follows. In your first workout, take just 50% of your 10 rep weight and perform 20 reps.

In your next workout, add five pounds to the bar and perform 20 reps."

He recommends not starting off with your 10 rm as you will probably fail at getting the full 20 reps out and it will cripple you.

Recommends doing it 2-3 times a weeks.

Program is
Military Press 3x10-12
Barbell Curl 3x10-12
Breathing Squat 1x20
Breathing Pullovers 1x20

I was trying rib expansion stuff a couple of years ago but gave it up because I read an article saying that it's possible while you're growing up but when you're fully grown the cartilage hardens too much and its impossible so I'd be VERY interested to hear from anyone past their mid 20's that have had results doing this I'd go straight back to doing it again, my ribs always felt a bit tender the next day maybe this was the hint that it can work?

I don't care whether it expands the rib cage or not, I just like doing pullovers as heavy as possible

Last edited:
I'm apologising for this thread and this thread alone
Just many people annoying me it overflows. Especially when I post something and someone says something completely irrelevant and I have to repeat myself over and over, it gets very frustrating. I have a real problem with ignorance and don't understand it when people are apathetic to learning everything they can and just procrastinate wanting people to spell things out for them

Just many people annoying me it overflows. Especially when I post something and someone says something completely irrelevant and I have to repeat myself over and over, it gets very frustrating. I have a real problem with ignorance and don't understand it when people are apathetic to learning everything they can and just procrastinate wanting people to spell things out for them

Sorry mate can you repeat that for me?

I don't understand what you're trying to convey

So many ćunts and so few bullets

Makes you look bigger..

1946d1133824728-best-side-chest-shots-ever-arnold_schwarzenegger_-_side_chest.jpg

Compared to say Justin Bieber or Oni.