• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

I'm not a weight lifter, I'm a bodybuilder - Kai Greene

Lifting heavy weights doesn't make you big. I know this because one manlet bodybuilder told me so.

logic - not even once.

To be fair the bodybuilder in question is 70kg so I don't think he could be considered an expert on getting big.

Last edited:
Kumbaya.

The 200kg deadlift comment is nonsensicle.

But I think that for someone to talk the talk, they first must have walked the walked.

The reason there are so many ideas on training methods is because they all work, find out which one is yours through trial and error, and settle on something keeping in mind it's not about the destination but the journey.

They don't all work... Some exercises or programs can lead to a bad case of fuckarounditis.... I agree that the numbers are arbitrary...

However I can also see what baz is getting at... If youve been training for longer then 3 years and can't hit markos begginer numbers then something is wrong... Irrespective if whether you think your a PL or a BB....

Everyone should be using some form of linear progression.... how could you not have progressed in strength after 3 Years???

Say your squatting once a week and adding only 5kgs to the bar every month?????? That's 60 kg a year or 180kg after 3 years....

They don't all work... Some exercises or programs can lead to a bad case of fuckarounditis.... I agree that the numbers are arbitrary...

However I can also see what baz is getting at... If youve been training for longer then 3 years and can't hit markos begginer numbers then something is wrong... Irrespective if whether you think your a PL or a BB....

Everyone should be using some form of linear progression.... how could you not have progressed in strength after 3 Years???

Say your squatting once a week and adding only 5kgs to the bar every month?????? That's 60 kg a year or 180kg after 3 years....

Based on that statement one should not listen to bazza as he cannot bench press.
But we should listen to what he has to say, whether you like him or not is irrelevant, he's walked the walk.

Last edited:
Based on that statement one should not listen to bazza as he cannot bench press.
But we should listen to what he has to say, whether you like him or not is irrelevant, he's walked the walk.

Don't know what baz benches... But in his words he sucks at it..... However I'll still bet he can bench 100kgs for reps.....

Baz?????

I do suck at benching that's why you will rarely see me post any advise on here about it.

For the record my bench is between 135-140 at the moment.

Oh dear, my point is, dont just judge someone's experience or knowledge on lifting based on high numbers of the three lifts that we all seem to get so excited about.

that's enough from me, this is just going round in circles.

The problem people run into comparing the two is that bodybuilders talk numbers that they can repeat for a set of 6,8,10 whatever and powerlifters talk singles. There are heaps of bodybuilders who can lift the Ausbb magic numbers but don't know it. They have never gone below 6 reps in their life.

When I did concentrate a bit more on strength a few years ago I was surprised how quickly my squat and deadlift went up. I could obviously already lift a lot more than I thought, I just had to get used to the weight and build a bit of belief.

Linear progression is a great logic but it works more quickly for one rep sets than it does for ten rep sets. You won't lift your ten rep squat by 180kg in 3 years.

3 years
The problem people run into comparing the two is that bodybuilders talk numbers that they can repeat for a set of 6,8,10 whatever and powerlifters talk singles. There are heaps of bodybuilders who can lift the Ausbb magic numbers but don't know it. They have never gone below 6 reps in their life.

When I did concentrate a bit more on strength a few years ago I was surprised how quickly my squat and deadlift went up. I could obviously already lift a lot more than I thought, I just had to get used to the weight and build a bit of belief.

Linear progression is a great logic but it works more quickly for one rep sets than it does for ten rep sets. You won't lift your ten rep squat by 180kg in 3 years.

Agreed....

But you could be doing 140kg for reps in 3 years...