• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

clean and press. What are your thoughts?

It is an efficient way if you want to get your sessions over faster.

Its assistance work. I don't want to spend ages in the gym but I want upper back, pressing and posterior chain work. Its efficient for me to combine all three.

We never said you need to do anything. You said we shouldn't.

I didn't say that people shouldn't clean and press, I said that there is no advantage of doing clean & press over separating the two movements and increasing the weight used on both.

And we've both suggested there is because you can save time.
Even if you can't press what you clean, you still have to accelerate the weight to your shoulders to start with

I didn't say that people shouldn't clean and press, I said that there is no advantage of doing clean & press over separating the two movements and increasing the weight used on both.

No, you said there's...
No reason to clean & press unless you like doing it or compete in an event that requires you to C&P

There are lots of reasons to, I have repeated them constantly.

I don't see how cleaning light weight (wasting energy) and then pressing less than you could press if you used the power rack is considered 'efficient'

I don't see how cleaning light weight (wasting energy) and then pressing less than you could press if you used the power rack is considered 'efficient'

Seriously, do you have the faintest clue about strength training?

Why don't you tell all the international rugby players to stop C&Ping. Then tell Derek Poundstone and all the other strongmen, tell all the elite powerlifters who use it as part of their training, tell all the crossfitters (vomit) who base their WODs around it.

Last edited:
How about instead of telling El Freako, who is about 5x stronger than you, that he is wasting his energy and listen to him. You might just learn something, and stop overtraining on 80kg squats and going backwards 40kg on your deadlift.

...which can all be achieved to a greater extent separating the movements

How do you save time separating them? Pray tell.

Ok boys,
ONI is correct as individual exercises you can push more as a primary movement, he's just nit listening or readying correctly,

We are saying its a good assistance exercise, because it quicker, but no one has mentioned yet it adds great intensity to your workouts, which really hits your entire body. This stimulates growth, in much mire than just the muscles involved when the movements are seperated.

Also i can press, not strict mp, but a slight push press my max clean, i am sure many others are the same.

Last edited:
That's it, resort to ad hominem rather than explaining how I am 'incorrect'

You don't just have to use it for cleans and pressing. You can use it to build overall strength and develop greater force production. Its one of the most complete open chain movements there is, working from head to toe.

Why the hell are you trying to discount a proven strength developing exercise?

How do you save time separating them? Pray tell.

Are you trolling? Say you're doing something like 5/3/1, you can do cleans before deadlifts or squats and do 5/3/1 pressing. You don't need to 'save time' combining the two

You don't just have to use it for cleans and pressing. You can use it to build overall strength and develop greater force production. Its one of the most complete open chain movements there is, working from head to toe.

Why the hell are you trying to discount a proven strength developing exercise?

Clean and press doesn't produce more force than doing both clean and press separately...

Are you trolling? Say you're doing something like 5/3/1, you can do cleans before deadlifts or squats and do 5/3/1 pressing. You don't need to 'save time' combining the two

Clean and press doesn't produce more force than doing both clean and press separately...

Bloody hell you're obtuse!

It does in the fact that it transfers force through a greater range of movement. Rugby player often have to transfer force from feet to hands in movements like tackles, ruck and mauls, etc. A clean and press develops that transfer.

Overall strength. Force transfer through the entire body. Time efficient training. Hypertrophy.

What other reasons do I have to give to explain why it is a good exercise.

There is no reason you couldn't clean the reps for overhead with 5/3/1. Thus, getting more posterior chain work in a shorter time frame.

I also don't see how the force production of a press would be any better out of a rack than after a power clean. If you're really that unfit that you would have no energy after the clean then I suggest you do conditioning/metabolic based training exclusively for the next 6 months

Bloody hell you're obtuse!

It does in the fact that it transfers force through a greater range of movement. Rugby player often have to transfer force from feet to hands in movements like tackles, ruck and mauls, etc. A clean and press develops that transfer.

Overall strength. Force transfer through the entire body. Time efficient training. Hypertrophy.

What other reasons do I have to give to explain why it is a good exercise.

Clean and Press is a 2 phase technique, there is no transfer of force between cleaning and pressing.

There is no reason you couldn't clean the reps for overhead with 5/3/1. Thus, getting more posterior chain work in a shorter time frame.

I also don't see how the force production of a press would be any better out of a rack than after a power clean. If you're really that unfit that you would have no energy after the clean then I suggest you do conditioning/metabolic based training exclusively for the next 6 months

I didn't say you couldn't do clean and press, I just said there was no reason to unless you like doing it. And yes, most people can OHP more than they can c+p

Clean and Press is a 2 phase technique, there is no transfer of force between cleaning and pressing.

I didn't say you couldn't do clean and press, I just said there was no reason to unless you like doing it. And yes, most people can OHP more than they can c+p

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Like I said, if that are that deconditioned that having to clean the weight will stuff up your pressing then you need to rethink what you've been doing.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Like I said, if that are that deconditioned that having to clean the weight will stuff up your pressing then you need to rethink what you've been doing.

I will agree I can Ohp more than i can clean and press. It's nothing to do with conditioning.

You can get bar in a better position from the rack to press it rather than from the clean.

You clean and press much? At all?

Maybe there isn't direct transfer as you do use a 2 phase movement but to keep the momentum going requires a quick movement and brute force to turn the clean into a push press. The point is that it is a whole body movement where great speed and force is required.

I will agree I can Ohp more than i can clean and press. It's nothing to do with conditioning.

You can get bar in a better position from the rack to press it rather than from the clean.

idk this guy didn't seem to have any problems lol
[youtube]3nJrYPVJ88M[/youtube]

you can adjust your hand placement after you catch the clean before you press anyway. not all that difficult and you'll find most WL do this before the jerk

You clean and press much? At all?

Maybe there isn't direct transfer as you do use a 2 phase movement but to keep the momentum going requires a quick movement and brute force to turn the clean into a push press. The point is that it is a whole body movement where great speed and force is required.

That isn't a clean and press xD
No knee bend or momentum is used while doing c+p, if it is then you're doing a push press and you would be able to generate more force off the delts with a quick knee bend than coming up from a clean and pressing in one fluid motion